08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Good stuff. Better hope you dont catch more than one. Lol that take a while

Perris Bluegill Chaser
08-29-2014, 10:39 PM
whats a better way?
Good stuff. Better hope you dont catch more than one. Lol that take a while

TroutOnly
08-31-2014, 08:00 AM
that's the long way ,,,,,,,O/G,deckhand hack and stack is just as good and way faster................

DEVOREFLYER
08-31-2014, 08:28 AM
I personally NEVER filet my Trout. It's much easier to debone when cooked, literally only takes seconds to do and the fish tastes better in my opinion when the skin is left on and is much better. I also never remove the head and on larger units the cheeks are the Filet Mignon. Look up the price of Halibut or Salmon cheeks, it was old fishermen's secret for years. I think I saw Salmon cheeks on the menu for the first time about 30 years ago at Ivar's Salmon House in Seattle. Another bargain was white Salmon at Pikes Market in Seattle, then people found out it was no different that the pink/red Salmon and the bargain went away.

exfactor
08-31-2014, 09:18 AM
he still left the pin bones in that video

VineAssist
09-04-2014, 04:14 PM
that's the long way ,,,,,,,O/G,deckhand hack and stack is just as good and way faster................

Agree with TO on this. So much easier to just hack and stack. An experienced decky can fillet a limit of Trout in tminus five minutes or faster than Trolly can eat his way up the West Shore hill!!!!! Lol... Just remeber to keep your 12ct nightcrawler cups away from Trollygoat this trout season.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
09-04-2014, 05:17 PM
what is hack and stack..

Agree with TO on this. So much easier to just hack and stack. An experienced decky can fillet a limit of Trout in tminus five minutes or faster than Trolly can eat his way up the West Shore hill!!!!! Lol... Just remeber to keep your 12ct nightcrawler cups away from Trollygoat this trout season.

JAG107
09-04-2014, 07:34 PM
I just take my trusty ol' Dexter and filet from left to right (head facing left, backbone facing me), no guttin', just start from behind the gillplate, follow along the ribs and cut all the way to the tail. If I'm leaving the skin on the the BBQ, I cut it right off at the tail. If I want to take the skin off, I leave it still connected at the tail, flip it around and go back through with the blade going the other way between the skin and meat. Takes about a minute a fish. Sure, I don't get every tiny piece of meat, but when you are cleaning a fat limit of Irvine trout, you can afford to lose an ounce here or there ;) If I missed any ribs, I just whack them with the knife after finishing the fillet. I don't understand why the guy in the video cleaned and gutted his fish before filleting. Wasn't that just a waste of time? I also hate dealing with that blood along the backbone, just my $0.02. Thanks for posting the video though, that's one way to get the job done.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
09-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks Jag i will be fishing Irvine soon..
I just take my trusty ol' Dexter and filet from left to right (head facing left, backbone facing me), no guttin', just start from behind the gillplate, follow along the ribs and cut all the way to the tail. If I'm leaving the skin on the the BBQ, I cut it right off at the tail. If I want to take the skin off, I leave it still connected at the tail, flip it around and go back through with the blade going the other way between the skin and meat. Takes about a minute a fish. Sure, I don't get every tiny piece of meat, but when you are cleaning a fat limit of Irvine trout, you can afford to lose an ounce here or there ;) If I missed any ribs, I just whack them with the knife after finishing the fillet. I don't understand why the guy in the video cleaned and gutted his fish before filleting. Wasn't that just a waste of time? I also hate dealing with that blood along the backbone, just my $0.02. Thanks for posting the video though, that's one way to get the job done.

troutdog
09-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Watching Team 57 Legend "DoctorHook"(left) fillet up trout was a thing of beauty, that bag Timster is holding took less than 15 minutes and were perfect ready to go for fish tacos at the lake....man those were fun times! VineAssist has skillz with the blade too, props Jimmy! :UDaMan:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/making%20room/ahook_zps814125b6.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/troutdog_photobucket/media/making%20room/ahook_zps814125b6.jpg.html)

It's almost "that time" again....

TD

VineAssist
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Basically what Jag007 just described.
I just fillet them without gutting or any other nonsense. Cut right behind the fin all the way to the tail but leave the fillet intact flip it and skin it leaving a little piece of skin so that way DFW (not that it matters at Irvine) can id it. Can literally do a 2-3lb trout in a minute or two.
They call it hack and stack because you are not gill and gutting or being super fancy with the cuts. Watch a deckhand on a boat that had a wide open day and you will understand the analogy.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
09-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Thank you...for the info
Basically what Jag007 just described.
I just fillet them without gutting or any other nonsense. Cut right behind the fin all the way to the tail but leave the fillet intact flip it and skin it leaving a little piece of skin so that way DFW (not that it matters at Irvine) can id it. Can literally do a 2-3lb trout in a minute or two.
They call it hack and stack because you are not gill and gutting or being super fancy with the cuts. Watch a deckhand on a boat that had a wide open day and you will understand the analogy.