PDA

View Full Version : In between the first and last day of boat ownership

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Got in line about 20 minutes before opening on Monday...got everything rigged and ready...put the boat in the water...and the key start didn't work. After a couple of tries at fixing it, I figured out it would at least pull start (advantage of having just a 25 horse motor on a tin boat)...the meter wasn't working either...so I decided I'd try to go find some boils anyways...checked some places that have worked lately for topwater, but nobody home...started looking in other spots, and pretty quickly saw some popping in the back of a cove...nobody else there...got a couple in the boat before another boat came in...we shared a nice boil and pretty soon I had a few more in the well...when they back went down. I got a few more on a spoon, then another on a fluke. They came back up, and I had another nice hookup on topwater, and it felt heavy, but the fish had no speed at all...you guessed it, a 4 lb. LMB...it acted like it was paralyzed until I got it out of the water...by 8 they were done boiling in that cove, and I wasn't about to troll u-rigs in a lake with quickly dropping water levels without a meter...cruised around the lake looking for more boils, but it was over for now...headed for the ramp at 10 with my 8 schoolies.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/825.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/825.jpg.html)
The fuse appears good, the batteries are at 12.7 volts...this is gonna be fun...

DEVOREFLYER
08-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Check all of your connections to see if they are tight, corrosion is not your friend either, be sure to check your ground connection, often overlooked. Good luck, I hate electrical issues.

cutbait
08-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Didn't work as the starter didn't run or didn't work as the starter didn't start the engine?

Was there any noise from the starter

cutbait
08-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Since it started on a pull start. Its either

No juice/wire issue

Key switch

Starter

Could possibly be the safety toggle kill switch thing. Recheck that if you have one and also verify its in neutral.

I have seen the neutral position sensor go out

Perris Bluegill Chaser
08-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Great job out there....Like DF said..most likely its a lose connection. Its only so many things between the key and and starter.

fishinone
08-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Congrats on the fish!

I don't want to talk about boat troubles.

Bassfan
08-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Finding a spot with a boil and nobody around is so much fun.
For a day with all kinds of boat trouble you definitely made the best of it. Nice going.
Get the boat back in shape or you'll end up like fishinone, a nomad wandering from boat to boat. Lol

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Check all of your connections to see if they are tight, corrosion is not your friend either, be sure to check your ground connection, often overlooked. Good luck, I hate electrical issues.

Thanks for the tips DEVOREFLYER...ground's still connected, no corrosion there, but there are lots of places for either corrosion or just broken wire...

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Since it started on a pull start. Its either

No juice/wire issue

Key switch

Starter

Could possibly be the safety toggle kill switch thing. Recheck that if you have one and also verify its in neutral.

I have seen the neutral position sensor go out

Thanks for the help cutbait...I'm suspecting the starter...it made an attempt when I first hit it, then nothing...it might be that the meter is a completely separate fail...

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Great job out there....Like DF said..most likely its a lose connection. Its only so many things between the key and and starter.

Thanks PBC...I've checked a few spots...don't see anything yet...I'm also a bluegill chaser :Big Grin: Gotta head for distant striper-less waters to get those nowadays...

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Congrats on the fish!

I don't want to talk about boat troubles.

Thanks fishinone......I know you've had some boat issues lately as well...I hope you get it figured out soon...I may just bite the bullet and throw money at it so I can keep fishing if I don't figure it out soon...

fishinone
08-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks fishinone......I know you've had some boat issues lately as well...I hope you get it figured out soon...I may just bite the bullet and throw money at it so I can keep fishing if I don't figure it out soon...

That's what my friends tell me to do.

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Finding a spot with a boil and nobody around is so much fun.
For a day with all kinds of boat trouble you definitely made the best of it. Nice going.
Get the boat back in shape or you'll end up like fishinone, a nomad wandering from boat to boat. Lol
Thanks Bassfan...If the boils were within rowing distance I might have done that today if I had to! I'll definitely have it running for this fall...can't miss that!

Stumpknocker
08-25-2014, 05:28 PM
That's what my friends tell me to do.

Your friends just want what's best for you! As you proved the other day (as did I) you're a fisherman...not a photographer (or some other kind of non-predator!! :LOL: