PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-08-24-14 Eclipse 2 day trip for Tuna!

Tunaslam
08-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Departure:-Friday-08-22-14

Fishing on the Eclipse for the first time, out of Seaforth landing on a 2-Day Charter trip sponsored by the Trojan Anglers Club and Poseidon Fishing Adventures. I left my home in Diamond Bar Friday evening at 5:30 pm and met up with Charter Master Matt Groff at the landing at 7:30 pm with a scheduled departure time of 9pm. Signed in and paid for Jackpot and a $20 fuel surcharge? We started loading the boat just before 9pm and pulled away from the dock at around 9:30 pm and made the short run over to the bait receivers.

We had a mix of Sardines, Anchovies and Mackerel. A good majority of the Sardines were in sad shape. The Mackerel were mostly too big, fortunately there was a good supply of hook bait on the Anchovy side, plus plenty to chum with. Cleared the bait receivers and harbor by 10:20 pm.

Captain Ping called a meeting in the galley and discussed the plans for the trip, introduced the crew and went over safety procedures. Although the bite has been plentiful in the 20 to 30 mile range, the expected Saturday traffic and with the Make a Wish Tournament commencing this weekend, it was prudent to head to an area known to hold fish a bit further from the maddening crowd!

The ride out was extremely pleasant, as the seas were very calm. The weather forecast for the next couple of days was awesome! At 9:30pm, Matt set out some tasty Lamb and Chicken with Pita Bread he had donated as there was no scheduled dinner on the boat with such a late start. Yum Yum!

Day 1-Sat.-08-23-14

The engines stopped at around 4am and we began a gentle rock in the trough. The Bunk lights were turned on at 5:30 am and the Captain gave a wakeup call. Cook Peter was hard at work preparing Breakfast. The coffee was sensational and they also provided a soda bar for everyone’s convenience.

A nice sunrise:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3573680x510_zpsac0f23fb.jpg

I joined the early morning trollers, as the Captain announced he would start a normal rotation whenever everyone had woken up. Maybe fifteen minutes later I got bit and hollered Hook up! A double, no a triple! My fish unbuttoned and I took two cranks on the reel handle and got bit again, and again unbuttoned, took two more cranks and was ate a third time, fought it to the boat and hollered for a gaff and this one also unbuttoned, bummer. We landed the other two, and two bait fish.

The regular rotation was started and it was not long before we got another triple! I put a bait in the water and it was instantly inhaled, “Fresh One”! I landed the Tuna in short order, maybe 10 pounds? We also landed a few more bait fish. I tossed a few baits for nothing and the Captain said wind them in. I had just casted a fresh bait and got hooked up again. Another short fight on 25 pound line and number two on the deck and cookie cutter size.

The call for breakfast came and cook Peter served up a cheese and sausage omolette, and fried sweet potatoes.

Our next stop was much later, as we went through several trolling rotations, then we found the right school. It was utter chaos, as nearly everyone got bit at once. I put a quick three fish on the boat with one pushing 15 pounds. I hooked a fourth on this stop, but was tangled and the fish broke off. I think the Captain stated that we put 38 Tuna on the boat. I was now working on my California limit, having completed my Mexican limit. We were straddling the border as I understood our location. To this point I not given any thought to taking pictures, as I didn’t see a Tuna of worthy size, not even my 15 pounder?

A little later we stopped on a kelp paddy and it was loaded with baby Yellowtail and a couple 7 to 8 pounders. I released three Yellowtail on this stop. A few Tuna were also caught.

We continued to find some Yellowfin Tuna holding on the few other kelp paddies we found. We picked a few Tuna here and there, and I added two to my count, but told the crew I would donate them to the galley!
Lunch at 1:30 pm was Turkey Salad sandwiches on a delicious onion roll, served with potato chips, and grapes.

We got into one more ripper bite before 3pm and I added another five Tuna to my count losing several more to their teeth. Two of which I caught on a Halco Popper, I had just purchased. My first time catching a Tuna on the popper. It was fun, especially seeing how many boils you got on it without getting a hook up, very frustrating and hard work. I could only do it for no more than 10 to 15 minutes at a time?

The jackpot for the day was a bait fish caught by JC weighing in at 22 pounds:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3575680x510_zpscd0afbf7.jpg

We were nearly out of bait except for Anchovies at 3:30pm and the Captain took a vote to see if we were willing to chip in another fuel surcharge to run in and get more bait. We all said yes. As we made our way towards Mission Bay we only caught a few more fish ending the day with 128 Yellowfin Tuna, 20 some Yellowtail and four Do Do’s.

I ended the day with a dozen Tuna and 3 released Yellowtail, of which two Tuna went to the galley.

At 8:15 pm, the call for dinner was made for numbers 1 thru 14. We were all exhausted and hungry. Unfortunately I had to wait until second shift. Many took showers while waiting. Salads were served and then the main course of Flank Steak, home style potatoes, and mixed squash, also for those that wanted it seared Ahi. No desert!

Day 2 Sunday 08-24-14.

I woke up at 5:20 am and enjoyed a great cup of coffee. It was a bit breezier today with some popcorn and of course as forecasted large swells, yet far apart. The skies were very overcast to start the day and way cooler than Saturday.

I discussed the bait situation with Captain Ping and he was very disappointed. They spent 2+ hours searching for decent bait in the receivers that were not reserved and only found a few sardines and 80% Mackerel. By early morning the majority of the new Sardines were dead?

Fortunately we still had a good supply of fishable Anchovies. It was an extremely slow morning with only four fish caught on the troll and one bait fish. After breakfast of peanut butter French toast and breakfast sausage, the Captain said this area had few signs of fish and we was going to make a run 20 miles north east of our position.

We had several full speed troll stops for only four more troll fish. Slowing down around 10:20am back to regular trolling speed. We spent another couple of hours scratching a few Tuna here and there, as the schools would not stay with the boat. I finally caught my first Tuna of the day at high noon.

We found a Kelp Paddy that held some decent size 8 to 12 pound Yellowtail, and we landed 15, unfortunately I was never bit? Would of liked one Tail for Hamachi!

At about 1:30 pm we found the right school. I put a quick five Tuna on the boat, all on anchovies with 20 pound line, Flouro leader and a number 2 circle hook. I tried a split shot a few times but that didn’t work well.

The bite lasted about an hour. We didn’t move far and got another triple hook upon the troll. The fish again came to the boat and virtually ate the bait off the stern. Regardless of boil after boil in all directions finding a bait that wanted to swim was tedious! I changed every 20 seconds or sooner and found a swimmer only once every 6 to 10 baits which got bit. Folks were getting bit all around the boat and on the bow as well, A few Tuna were caught on Mega baits and the Popper.

We were virtually out of bait at 3:30 pm and it was past time to return to the dock anyhow. A couple of fish were still being fought and grabbed my Popper outfit, a Daiwa Lexa 400 and 8’ rod and made a few casts. I got boiled on with the first cast and inhaled on the second. This was a bigger Tuna, but on 40 pound, I put it on quickly. This Tuna weighed in at 18 pounds. I thought I had a chance at Jackpot, but a 21 pounder got it. That was number ten today with no losses! The boat ended the day with 90 Yellowfin Tuna. Not bad considering the very slow start and an earlier finish?

Cook Peter put out Chicken and Cheese Quesadias and some AHI Sashimi, wow did that hit the spot! After we all put away our tackle upstairs so the crew could clean the boat, I took a short nap waiting for the announcement that the fish were out of holds and ready for pictures, which I had taken none during the day. Bad on me! Just simply too busy and the fish were stored very quickly.

Saturday’s jackpot winner also had the largest fish and won an Avet Reel, while the Sunday jackpot winner won a fishing rod, didn’t see the make.

Some pictures:

My biggest Tuna of the trip:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3583680x510_zps18289665.jpg

Angler Matt, another Matt with some of his fish caught:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3578654x680_zps3cb191fe.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3579645x680_zps81ad5ace.jpg

Carrie and her bo with Tuna, we seemed to do the Tuna two step together a number of times both days with simultaneous hook ups:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3580612x680_zps939a6b65.jpg

Junior with his first ever Yellowfin Tuna, what a fight he gave:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3581510x680_zps32639d11.jpg

Another first timer who ate the heart:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3585680x510_zps1b6a2dc0.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3584680x510_zps889d6d4d.jpg

I also did the Tuna two step with Nicolet a few times during both days, both her and Carrie could fish:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3586680x510_zps0f322176.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Eclipse/100_3577680x510_zpsd42f262c.jpg

Back at the dock at 8 pm. I left the landing at 8:45pm and home at 10:30 pm where my good friend Lal met me had took three Tuna off my hands. I had five biggest fileted and gave a few away at the dock and rest I took to work to donate to the workers. Showered and in bed at 11:30 pm only to get up at 5am, and head off to work!

Thanks so much Captain Ping and crew for a great trip. Thanks to Matt for organizing a super group of anglers. Hope I can share a rail with everyone again sometime soon.

Hook up!
Cory

flyhigh123
08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
seems like the eclipse has been getting lots of complaints lately...

why didnt they bring more bait since it was a 2 day, instead you guys are paying an extra fuel surcharge? I haven't paid fuel surcharge once this season on any other boat. Seems odd.... nickel and dime...

congrats on catching lots of fish though!

jaggerbub
08-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Great report from you as usual.

Tunaslam
08-26-2014, 09:03 AM
seems like the eclipse has been getting lots of complaints lately...

why didnt they bring more bait since it was a 2 day, instead you guys are paying an extra fuel surcharge? I haven't paid fuel surcharge once this season on any other boat. Seems odd.... nickel and dime...

congrats on catching lots of fish though!

They brought plenty of bait, most of the Sardines died and the mix of mackerel was too heavy! Out of their control. I certainly did not like the first surcharge, BS for only going short on a 2 day! Didn't mind the second one!

Stumpknocker
08-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Great job despite the bait issues...

DockRat
08-26-2014, 08:03 PM
WTG Cory, US waters Wahoo next?
DR

murrieta angler
08-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Well Cory,
It seemed as the captain did try his best to get you all on some fish and that he did...:Smile:
As far as the fuel surcharge, even though the cost of fuel, for regular gas, has declined, the cost of diesel is as high as it has been in a long time,
I think up to $4.30 per and always a dollar more on the water..:Rolls Eyes:
Look forward to the next report.
Nice report as always,
Robert
<><