PDA

View Full Version : Twin Lakes

fishing_addict
10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Some friends and I are heading up to the Bridgeport area in about a week. This is one area I've never fished or been with the exception of snowboarding at Mammoth, so I was just curious about what to expect as far as say, bears and how crowded it might be. I already know it to be cold and windy up there especially at night but to me that's the best time to go camping. Just have plenty of beer, firewood, warm clothes, and a warm sleeping bag! I haven't posted many times in here but plan on showing and telling how fun it was. Like I said earlier though, my main concern is the bears especially after seeing some of the pics you guys posted in here!

Troutman65
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Use the bear boxes for your food. DO not leave any food in your car. Not even a candy wraper. If you do just those two things that will help out alot with not attracting the bears. I read in an report on here that beer was not even safe to leave out. One would think that a DRUNK bear would not be good to run into. Good luck and look forward to reading your report.

Troutman65

getthenet
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
last year a bear brok into are truck broke out center window for maybe a half of a sandwich dumb *** left in back seat great camping otherwise fishing should be good bring cold weather gear it can get nastyjavascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing

fndaway66
10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
If your tenting it, there are bear boxes at lower Robinson creek campgroud. Campground is located before the lower lake and has bathrooms, firerings and the creek running through it. You going to encounter more hunters than fishermen during this time of the year.
There are rental cabins available at Uppertwin but no bear boxes if you are tenting it. There are full RV hookups there also.
The big fish should be staging at the inlets right about now so I would throw lures and Rapalas in those areas. Otherwise hit up Ken's sporting goods in town and they will give you all the fishing info you'll need. Good luck'. I'll be up there on the 19th-21st.

fishing_addict
10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm really looking forward to this trip. BTW have any of you ever fished Peeler Lake? I was thinking about hiking up to it and trying it out. It only looks like it's about 6 miles WSW of Twin Lakes. Just curious. Thanks again.

fndaway66
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
8 Miles to peeler. The last 3 are switch backs. The lake is beautiful, caught some bows and golden there. It will be cold up there. If your going to do it leave before sunrise. You will have a lot of time to fish but leave early from the lake because it will get cold and dark fast. Leave info at the front gat at mono village on your plans. Honestly I wouldn't do this hike during this time of the year, the weather could change in a minute up in that higher elevation. It's a great hike in the summer though.

greeper
10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I just got back from there and did very well on the upper on jigs.. have fun!

fishing_addict
10-04-2007, 01:31 AM
8 Miles to peeler. The last 3 are switch backs. The lake is beautiful, caught some bows and golden there. It will be cold up there. If your going to do it leave before sunrise. You will have a lot of time to fish but leave early from the lake because it will get cold and dark fast. Leave info at the front gat at mono village on your plans. Honestly I wouldn't do this hike during this time of the year, the weather could change in a minute up in that higher elevation. It's a great hike in the summer though.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll stay down by the Twins this trip.

diamondbear
10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
the upper twin is good this time of year , try trolling mid to large size rapalas first thing in the morn. along the road side and then later try soaking bait near the stream inlet , theres a sandbar that goes out from the stream inlet into the lake , anchor at the deeper part of sandbar and fish into the deep stream channel . In the eve troll a wollybuger along the front beach near the marina . good luck // db