PDA

View Full Version : A striper smorgasbord

Stumpknocker
08-19-2014, 06:49 PM
My good old fishing buddies Larry, Danny and Jim and I hit the lake in two boats today...Jim in mine, Larry in Danny's...we started at C-point chasing boils...Jim caught a few and I caught one and farmed about 5...I'd hook 'em, fight 'em, and then and lose them halfway to the boat...it was getting ridiculous, and there wasn't anything wrong with the hooks on the lure...just one of those days...when the surface action died, we put out the u-rigs and got a few more...then that died, so off we went...found more around Hawks Nest that wanted to eat the u-rigs, then off to the upper fish arm where they also were willing to attach the u-rigs...about the time that action slowed down, we started seeing boils out in the channel...so Jim and I started chasing them, and managed to catch a few more, including Jim's first spook striper...he was stoked! Not many fishing cherries left on that guy, but he popped that one today! Meanwhile, Larry and Danny were trolling plugs on a downrigger and getting some, but not a lot of action...we eventually went up the ski arm and anchored up for some sardine baitnwait in the buoyline area...not wide open, but a decent pick on schoolies there as well...eventually the wind blew us off the anchor a couple of times, so we took that as a sign to call it...off to the cleaning table...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/trio.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/trio.jpg.html)
We had 27 fish, not counting the dinks and largemouth we released on purpose, and the farmed ones...:mad:

ZipperWurm
08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
WTG man, thats a nice haul :Thumbs Up:

cutbait
08-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Heckofa report

Great day with pals

basshole1
08-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Lots of tacos...I love striper tacos. Nice slay sir, thanks for the report.

Bassfan
08-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Thats a fine mess of fish...
That generation of two pounders is doing a lot of the action these days but it looks like you got a couple nicer ones also.
Nice work!

catchingsomefish
08-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Nice day guys, that sounds like a full day of fishing, chasing boils, trolling, chasing boils, posing at the cleaning station.......Good job......................Dave

trail blazer
08-20-2014, 04:56 AM
That's what im talking abought,,,SLAYAGE!,,WTG.

TRAIL BLAZER

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 06:46 AM
WTG man, thats a nice haul :Thumbs Up:
Thanks ZipperWurm! Fishing was pretty good, but it was also an all-day 4-guy effort...

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Heckofa report

Great day with pals

Thanks cutbait...these guys have been my fishing buds for 30 years...

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Lots of tacos...I love striper tacos. Nice slay sir, thanks for the report.

Thanks basshole1...tacos, whole grilled, broiled, baked in a casserole...you can't cook 'em wrong!

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Thats a fine mess of fish...
That generation of two pounders is doing a lot of the action these days but it looks like you got a couple nicer ones also.
Nice work!

Thanks Bassfan...the best one was 4 pounds but most were the 2 pound schoolies that seem to be in unlimited supply at Castaic, though not always willing to impale themselves on a hook...

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Nice day guys, that sounds like a full day of fishing, chasing boils, trolling, chasing boils, posing at the cleaning station.......Good job......................Dave

Thanks Dave...you said it perfectly...

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 06:59 AM
That's what im talking abought,,,SLAYAGE!,,WTG.

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks TRAIL BLAZER...striper fishing is the new rockcodding...you can still bring home enough meat to offset the cost of the trip, and even better, the supply doesn't seem exhaustible...

fishinone
08-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the report! You guys pounded them, many ways.

I figured that they were still going but it's good to have it confirmed.

If the lake would do a "No Lake Lice Day!". They might stay up boiling all day.

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the report! You guys pounded them, many ways.

I figured that they were still going but it's good to have it confirmed.

If the lake would do a "No Lake Lice Day!". They might stay up boiling all day.
Thanks fishinone...your last Castaic report was similar...getting them with a variety of methods...might as well try everything...my buddy Jim dropped a flylined sardine chunk over the side while we were stopped fishing a boil and that got him a 3 pounder! We did some of our best boil fishing beyond the "no ski" buoys, with about 5 fishing boats participating in the chase...but that was on a Tuesday. I'm sure there's a lot more chasers on the weekend...I do remember fishing boil season on the weekends before I retired, and I'm grateful to be able to avoid that...at least Castaic has the "no ski" zones, unlike Pyramid, which I only fish when it's cold because you can't get away from blasting watercraft.

tommibear
08-20-2014, 11:43 AM
very nice catch! way to go.

Stumpknocker
08-20-2014, 02:42 PM
very nice catch! way to go.
Thanks tommibear...it's fun!