PDA

View Full Version : Grande over nighter: Schoolie YFT & big BFT

Ambassadorhawg
08-18-2014, 05:44 PM
First of all, great reports everyone. I was starting to wondering when you guys were going to start cashing in on this epic exotics season we are having this year.

I actually found a boat with a couple of openings due to cancellations so I grabbed a ticket and headed South. The seas were sloppy with a constant strong breeze. Water temp was 73-74! We fished the tuna pens because it was too rough to see breaking fish or paddies from afar. I went 2 for 6, call me Johnny Dumptruck if you will. :Rolls Eyes:

Nobody expected the BFT to be active but they were mixed in nicely with the YFT. I decided to go with my 30 lb rig for the medium sardines we had for bait. I saw a mackerel in the well so I figured what the heck, if there's a BFT around maybe I'd get bit. I was too correct. 20 minutes into the battle I got chewed off. You know how those things love to shake their heads. So, 0 for 1.

I noticed another angler having luck on the yo-yo iron so I grabbed another rig that was ready to go. Second drop down and AHHHHHHHHH!!!! I get a few pumps and PING, the line snaps. 0 for 2.

I retied and tried some more but the action on that method had ended. So I went back to my 30 lb rig. From this point forward, I chose smaller hot baits so that I could get my limit of the schoolie YFTs. I hooked one and pulled the hook out of it. 0 for 3. :Crying:

I retied and grabbed another bait. Got bit again but the line was burning off the spool big time. Another BFT.

For some reason, these things were especially tough that day. I fought that darn thing for an hour before the gaff went into its head. I was pulling hard, too. So, a solid 38 pounder according to the digital. A fat one, too. Now I'm 1 for 4. That's a little better...

Too a break and then went back to it. I hooked another squirrely YFT and pulled the darn hook out of that one, too. 1 for 5, not good.

Finally, I hooked another YFT and it found it's way to a stapled gill plate. There you have it. I went 2 for 6 on the day. I believe we had somewhere around 75 YFT all 10-20 pounds, and about a dozen BFT ranging from about 30-100 pounds with at least triple that number of hook ups if you count the casualties. There was that one stand out fish that was approaching 100 pounds in weight. A true stomper!

Enjoy the pics. I'm in the second one holding my prize. :Big Grin:

Striperjunkie13
08-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Congrats on your catch. Nice looking BFT.
I hope they are still around this weekend.

Ambassadorhawg
08-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Congrats on your catch. Nice looking BFT.
I hope they are still around this weekend.

Thanks and I'm sure they will be. I think they live there with their buddies on the other side of the net. The question is, will they bite. You know how picky those things are with moon phases. That's why I was surprised they bit for us on a half moon. In fact almost none of the other boats got any and we were fishing side by side. We had bites from them all day long, too. Go figure...

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-20-2014, 08:10 PM
It's wise to read up on what's happening gear-wise before going out on any boat targeting Bluefin. I read somewhere that minimum setup for the Bluefin now is a 40# rig and 3/0 ringed circle hooks.
And because the Bluefin make such a long first run, line capacity is a must. I'll be ready for my 3 day trip with my arsenal of Newell 332s and 500 yds. of braided 65# test and 45 or 50# fluorocarbon leader! Both of my 332s have Tiburon Frames which makes the reel sing plus I can hurl a 4 oz. jig almost 100 yds......NO LIE !
Tight Lines
TTFM

Ambassadorhawg
08-20-2014, 08:17 PM
It's wise to read up on what's happening gear-wise before going out on any boat targeting Bluefin. I read somewhere that minimum setup for the Bluefin now is a 40# rig and 3/0 ringed circle hooks.
And because the Bluefin make such a long first run, line capacity is a must. I'll be ready for my 3 day trip with my arsenal of Newell 332s and 500 yds. of braided 65# test and 45 or 50# fluorocarbon leader! Both of my 332s have Tiburon Frames which makes the reel sing plus I can hurl a 4 oz. jig almost 100 yds......NO LIE !
Tight Lines
TTFM

Agreed. I always go prepared. I had two 30s, a 40, and a 60 pound outfit all tied up and ready to go. I wanted YFT (because IMO, it's not as strong flavored as BFT) so used the appropriate gear for them. Damned BFT just got in the way a few times. :LOL:

murrieta angler
08-20-2014, 08:31 PM
I hear your frustration Bro!
When I went out, a couple months back, I lost my first 7 fish...:Embarrassed:
But, I stuck with it and ended the overnighter with 6 solid fish..:Big Grin:
To think, it's only August?!? :Wink:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><