PDA

View Full Version : A morning of fails, but still better than work...

ZipperWurm
08-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Finally got a chance to hit up castaic this morning after being stuck at home reading all these great reports recently. I had high hopes for the morning, but it didn't quite go as planned, lol. Got the the lake at 630...decided i best use the restroom real fast before i launch. On my way back to the boat, i rolled my ankle real good off a curb :Crying:...thought i may have broken it for a sec, but i wasn't going to let it stop me. Limped back to the boat and headed down the ski arm. Cruised around for a bit looking for any boils, but didn't see any, so put out the u-rigs and started trolling.

Well, within 5 minutes of trolling....i managed to snag both rigs on the bottom and lost both of them....instantly robbing me of almost $50 in tackle :Embarrassed: So now trolling is out of the question since i lost my only 2 rigs. But hopefully not all was lost...luckily i stopped by gallions on the way to the lake and grabbed some fresh sardines...so i found a spot up by where the buoy line used to be and dropped anchor. Well, that didn't work either. Maybe my anchor is too small for my boat or something because no matter what i did i could not get it to hold on the bottom...not to mention i only have 1 anchor instead of 2 like ur supposed to. So i pulled it up and tried use my trolling motor to keep me planted in one spot best i could...that didn't work either....made it impossible for us to present the bait properly.

10am rolls around without a fish in the boat....i decided to give up on stripers and get my skunk off with LMB, since that seems to be what im good at. Sure enough first cast....i put a chunk in the boat, skunk off. Around 11am we started seeing striper boils up the fishing arm. tried chasing down a few but couldn't make it to them in time. Fished for LMB till about noon then called it a day. I think i need to go back to the drawing board to catch stripers...today was quite humbling for me, to put it lightly :LOL:

On a side note...seemed like there were an awful lot of boats out there for a monday...

i should probably stick to these, lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140818_145906_zpsf0cbtk97.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/whitedevilTA/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140818_145906_zpsf0cbtk97.jpg.html)

catchingsomefish
08-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your ankle, and the lost tackle, I know when I started to troll this summer with the water so low, that certain areas the structure comes up so quickly, you really have to watch your fish finder for the depth......I got snagged several times, but only lost 1 rig.......so far. I think your picture would look much better with Mr Stripey sharing the deck of your boat with you, LOL Hope your ankle feels better soon..................Dave

Perris Bluegill Chaser
08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
I least you got out...i just order 4 rigs....and will order 4 more... new poles and reel's..lures...I will not get the skunk again.. IM going to kill some stripers..

ZipperWurm
08-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your ankle, and the lost tackle, I know when I started to troll this summer with the water so low, that certain areas the structure comes up so quickly, you really have to watch your fish finder for the depth......I got snagged several times, but only lost 1 rig.......so far. I think your picture would look much better with Mr Stripey sharing the deck of your boat with you, LOL Hope your ankle feels better soon..................Dave

Haha thanks. yeah it was just one of those mornings where nothing seemed to go right. i'm sure the ankle will be alright, feels much better now...probably just twisted it up a bit. Good thing no one was around when i lost those rigs...lots of angry profanity...lol

fishinone
08-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Man, that's a tough morning!

Don't give up on the striper. they are worth the trouble.

How's your ankle now?

cutbait
08-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Tough morn Z dubs...

Stick with it

Stumpknocker
08-18-2014, 04:24 PM
That's a mighty tough half day...but no skunk! Next time's gotta be better...you can buy a lure retriever that will go down and get your stuck u-rig, or if you're cheap like me, just take an 8 oz. torpedo sinker, put a couple big treble hooks on it fore and aft and a carabiner on one end, tie a really strong line to the carabiner, clip it onto your stuck u-rig line, let it down to the u-rig and hand-jig it until you grab it and pull it back up...it works!

Double A
08-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Zworm, I know you'll figure it out. Don't give up on the stripes & settle for the ditch pickles.
At least go 50/50. Limit out on stripes in the morning, then go play with the green ones.

ZipperWurm
08-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Man, that's a tough morning!

Don't give up on the striper. they are worth the trouble.

How's your ankle now?

Much better, thanks. Feels like a slight sprain now...but man when i did it this morning i thought for sure id be wearing a cast after the fishing trip, lol.

That's a mighty tough half day...but no skunk! Next time's gotta be better...you can buy a lure retriever that will go down and get your stuck u-rig, or if you're cheap like me, just take an 8 oz. torpedo sinker, put a couple big treble hooks on it fore and aft and a carabiner on one end, tie a really strong line to the carabiner, clip it onto your stuck u-rig line, let it down to the u-rig and hand-jig it until you grab it and pull it back up...it works!

that's a clever idea, i maye have to try that out in hopes of saving me $$$....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/1-dosequis_zps26b55e29.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/whitedevilTA/media/1-dosequis_zps26b55e29.jpg.html)

Zworm, I know you'll figure it out. Don't give up on the stripes & settle for the ditch pickles.
At least go 50/50. Limit out on stripes in the morning, then go play with the green ones.

yeah thats what i'd like to eventually do...my freezer is starting to get empty!

on a side note, does anybody have any recommendations on u-rig brands before i go replacing mine? the one's i lost were the piccasso bait ball extreme. only reason i bought those is cuz they looked the most appealing to me...

trail blazer
08-18-2014, 05:12 PM
So,,, Whats your hours Z WORM,,,,Days off etc,,,Pm me

WTG On sticking it out bud,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

Perris Bluegill Chaser
08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
show a pitcure

Much better, thanks. Feels like a slight sprain now...but man when i did it this morning i thought for sure id be wearing a cast after the fishing trip, lol.

that's a clever idea, i maye have to try that out in hopes of saving me $$$....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/1-dosequis_zps26b55e29.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/whitedevilTA/media/1-dosequis_zps26b55e29.jpg.html)

yeah thats what i'd like to eventually do...my freezer is starting to get empty!

on a side note, does anybody have any recommendations on u-rig brands before i go replacing mine? the one's i lost were the piccasso bait ball extreme. only reason i bought those is cuz they looked the most appealing to me...

trail blazer
08-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Lets just get you hook,d up!

https://jewelbait.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JBC&Product_Code=HU2&Category_Code=HS

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/carlysimps/060_zpsbb703bef.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/carlysimps/media/060_zpsbb703bef.jpg.html)

https://jewelbait.com/store/graphics/00000001/umbrella2.gif

trail blazer
08-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Hope to see you all at the JR STRIPER SLAM at the MID.

T/B

ZipperWurm
08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Hope to see you all at the JR STRIPER SLAM at the MID.

T/B

Id be there, cept I dont have any kids :Sad:

Are u guys doing another striper bowl for the adults this year as well?

FishingwithDave
08-18-2014, 08:45 PM

Zip, I don't think kids are a requirement to come hangout, fish and meet some cool peeps

trail blazer
08-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Zip, I don't think kids are a requirement to come hangout, fish and meet some cool peeps

exactly!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

will1602
08-18-2014, 09:23 PM
There is going to be a cool event in the upper lake Castaic you guys gotta check it out there are plenty of you guys that are real good striper fishermen here is the link let me know what you guys think.. Its a good way for you guys to not only limit out but possibly win some money I'm almost sure that a FNNer is going to win this event http://www.striperderby.com

ZipperWurm
08-19-2014, 06:48 AM

exactly!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

haha ok. i wasn't sure if it was going to be weird like showing up to chuck e cheese without a kid...they don't let you in, lol (i only know this because i tried to go and buy a pizza from there before :LOL:).

in that case, i will try my best to make it :Beer Toast:

cutbait
08-19-2014, 06:59 AM
haha ok. i wasn't sure if it was going to be weird like showing up to chuck e cheese without a kid...they don't let you in, lol (i only know this because i tried to go and buy a pizza from there before :LOL:).

in that case, i will try my best to make it :Beer Toast:

Can't wait to Z dub.... remember. No largies

cutbait
08-19-2014, 07:01 AM
There is going to be a cool event in the upper lake Castaic you guys gotta check it out there are plenty of you guys that are real good striper fishermen here is the link let me know what you guys think.. Its a good way for you guys to not only limit out but possibly win some money I'm almost sure that a FNNer is going to win this event http://www.striperderby.com

Now that looks fun

fishinone
08-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Just borrow some. Parents are happy to get rid, oh, I mean let them get out for a day.

TroutOnly
08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
TOUGH LUCK ON THE U-RIGS , YOU MIGHT WANT TO MASTER ONE IN THE WATER BEFORE YOU DROP IN THE SECOND ,LEARNING YOURE SPEED THE AMOUNT OF DROP YOU HAVE GOING ON IS VERY IMPORTANT. DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT LOSING RIGS ITS PART OF THE GAME , IF ANYONE SAYS THEY DONT LOSE THEM THEN THEY DONT FISH HARD ENOUGH OR THEY STAY OVER DEEP WATER HOPING FOR SCHOOLS..........YOURE RIGHT WILL1602 ME AND MY FRIEND HARDCOR ARE FISHING THE EVENT ,CORY WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO TALKING TO SOME OF THE GUYS FROM THE FNN....................t/o.................

trail blazer
08-19-2014, 10:20 AM
All differences aside what T/O says is SO true ZWORM,,,,,,,

You,l probably go through 30 before you get the hang of it,,,Just hire a U RIG guide 1 time and you,l save yourself $ and time.

Its NOT as easy as some would think.

TRAIL BLAZER

ZipperWurm
08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks all for the great input! I ordered up some replacements, hopefully they arrive before the weekend. I feel like im learning to fish the duct all over again, hehe

MonsterGuppy
08-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Rule #5 in the striper derby (The final weight is the combined weight of both anglers on the boat.) The Bako Boys have this won already :)

trail blazer
08-20-2014, 05:52 PM
LOL,,,,600 lbs before we even leave the ramp,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,Were thinking of giving it a go,,,,,,,,if for no other reason then just to say we tried ,,,,,,,,,,A lot of GREAT striper fishermen go to these events and just to participate against them would be an honor.

Not sure of the work schedule then but il check.

BAKO BOYS

cutbait
08-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Rule #5 in the striper derby (The final weight is the combined weight of both anglers on the boat.) The Bako Boys have this won already :)

Haha... thanks for the kind words.

I hope we can swing it. Between tuna trips, kids events and our normal fishing it may be tough.

I can't wait to talk with everyone in line! Especially the minions!