PDA

View Full Version : Fishing bolis with Bassfan on Saturday 8/16/2014, they cooperated.

fishinone
08-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Jim allowed me to fish with him on Saturday morning.

The line was extensive. We talked with T/O and Capt'n and with DMS in line and had a good time catching up.

We set out the trolling rigs to start our day. We had one fish in the boat when we saw our first boil, in a little cove on a long sand beach. There were only a few pops but the birds were heading for the spot. That's a good sign, so we pulled the rigs up and joined them.

It worked out well! We each pulled 6 or 7 fish off that spot as the fish drove the shad up and down that beach. We were casting up to or onto the sand, the fish weren't boiling steady but they were there waiting for a shad to move. Most of our hits were within 2 feet of the shore.

When that bite dwindled down we moved on. This time just looking for boils. Soon we saw birds again. This time heading for a hidden cove inside of a larger cove.

When we pulled in there there were fish boiling but the really cool part was 2 foxes, right on the beach. We think they were eating shad that the striper were driving up onto the beach. Well, we ruined their breakfast. They split right away.

The striper were driving the shad along the inside of this small cove and we just worked our way down with them. We each got 6 or 8 more fish here. We released the 1 1/2 pound ones, grabbing the hook with pliers and shaking them off, into the water as fast as we could. We threw the 2 pound models into the cooler. By the time they moved back into the lake we had 9 fish in the cooler.

Then we took a tour of the lake and did some trolling. Things were pretty quiet. We found shad in one cove just popping the surface in a big area (several acres). The striper weren't bothering them though.

We trolled but there were a bunch of the usual suspects around trolling and not too much catching so we moved to the other end of the lake again. There were fewer people around and we still enjoyed a slow pick on the striper but we tossed most of them due to size.

Soon we tried bait n wait on a spot that I chose because we kept seeing fish there when we trolled. We had little ones under us steady but only a couple takers. I caught one embarrassing little dink there. The bigger ones would come through but didn't take our baits.

We moved again, to a spot that Jim picked. At that spot it was really slow but the dinks that we threw back were a little better. Finally, in mid afternoon the fish started biting. It wasn't wide open but we got pretty steady hits. We were still tossing dinks but we kept a couple more approaching 2 pounds.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMG_5381_zps4ed4febc.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/IMG_5381_zps4ed4febc.jpg.html)
Here's the days catch. I think we kept 15.

Thanks Jim for letting me fish with you again. We had some good fishing!

catchingsomefish
08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Looks and sounds like a productive, fun day on the water! I believe it will get better and better as we head into the fall!.................Dave

Stumpknocker
08-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Great report fishinone...you found cooperative boilers and apparently had them to yourselves on a Saturday...not an easy feat...caught them on the troll and bait, and also got to see some cool behavior from the foxes! Now we're going to have to look for foxes along with the birds for signs of feeding stripers!

Bassfan
08-18-2014, 12:33 PM
We did OK all things considered (lice, bass tournament, Saturday crowds, etc.).
You killed them with your home made super duper top secret topwater lure.
That was the first time I ever saw foxes at Castaic, pretty cool!

DMS
08-18-2014, 12:39 PM

American Foxes you wild and crazy guys!

Bassfan
08-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Now that you mention it I did see a few on a ski boat.

trail blazer
08-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Dang ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,when you going to fish with me? No B and W though,,lol,

WTG RON and BASSFAN on getting r done.

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't expect nothing less from you two

Perris Bluegill Chaser
08-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Great job out there.....now i know who to follow..lol

fishinone
08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Looks and sounds like a productive, fun day on the water! I believe it will get better and better as we head into the fall!.................Dave

Thanks, I think it's going to be a good year.

Great report fishinone...you found cooperative boilers and apparently had them to yourselves on a Saturday...not an easy feat...caught them on the troll and bait, and also got to see some cool behavior from the foxes! Now we're going to have to look for foxes along with the birds for signs of feeding stripers!

One of the keys to a good boil is not having them going mad. It attracts too much attention.

We did OK all things considered (lice, bass tournament, Saturday crowds, etc.).
You killed them with your home made super duper top secret topwater lure.

Those boils made our day. If we had to talk about the trolling and bait n wait, we would be whining.

What home made super duper top secret topwater lure is that?

Stop it you're scaring me! LOL

Now that you mention it I did see a few on a ski boat.

I must be getting old! What did I miss?

Dang ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,when you going to fish with me? No B and W though,,lol,

WTG RON and BASSFAN on getting r done.

TRAIL BLAZER

The boats still down. Haven't you noticed that I'm a boat whore?

I think you need to teach me though.

I wouldn't expect nothing less from you two

We're here to please!

Great job out there.....now i know who to follow..lol

Who? We need to know too!

Hitts0n
08-18-2014, 08:41 PM
SSllaayyy fest! When is the next striper event ?

fishinone
08-18-2014, 09:46 PM
There'sa kids event on the Pyramid page for Oct 4th.

TroutOnly
08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
nice seeing you ron and jim ,and thank you for the bitchin custom lure its going to get the paint tore off it real soon...........I stayed off youre guys point ,I didn't want to crowd you...................bob................

Fishbones
08-19-2014, 06:47 PM
How is there ever going to be big stripers to catch if you guys keep catching them all?
Congrats fellas... Four eyes for the win!!

fishinone
08-20-2014, 10:21 AM
nice seeing you ron and jim ,and thank you for the bitchin custom lure its going to get the paint tore off it real soon...........I stayed off youre guys point ,I didn't want to crowd you...................bob................

There's no paint on T/O! That's Sharpie art.

How is there ever going to be big stripers to catch if you guys keep catching them all?
Congrats fellas... Four eyes for the win!!

You, have to bring your own!

Thanks for the Props on the lure. when are you going to test the one you have?