PDA

View Full Version : GVL Sunday 8.17

Limit Time
08-17-2014, 08:22 PM
No stocking this week, tough day on Sunday. Fished from 6am - 12:30pm and caught 3, all dinks. Pretty disappointing for a long drive. Fished across the boat dock from the point. People near the boat cove did the best - probably had 6 or 7 by the time we left (all small). Probably won't return. Not worth the gas or money. Too bad, it so scenic up there and the weather was terrific but the action for most was terrible and the lack of decent fish to catch doesn't make it worthwhile. Others might have a different opinion, but just trying to give you a heads-up.

Tight lines everyone!

dattack
08-17-2014, 11:06 PM
No stocking this week, tough day on Sunday. Fished from 6am - 12:30pm and caught 3, all dinks. Pretty disappointing for a long drive. Fished across the boat dock from the point. People near the boat cove did the best - probably had 6 or 7 by the time we left (all small). Probably won't return. Not worth the gas or money. Too bad, it so scenic up there and the weather was terrific but the action for most was terrible and the lack of decent fish to catch doesn't make it worthwhile. Others might have a different opinion, but just trying to give you a heads-up.

Tight lines everyone!
If you don't fish one or two days right after stock, it's not worth the trip unless you just want some fresh air.

Limit Time
08-18-2014, 07:20 AM
If you don't fish one or two days right after stock, it's not worth the trip unless you just want some fresh air.

I second that motion!

fisherman951
08-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Have u guys ever stayed long enough for the evening bite?? Just saying.....

Limit Time
08-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Have u guys ever stayed long enough for the evening bite?? Just saying.....

Not this year, but have done so in the past. I doubt if the results would be much better if the fish count remains the same. 600 lbs over a week a go can't go very far.

The Walking Trout
08-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Not this year, but have done so in the past. I doubt if the results would be much better if the fish count remains the same. 600 lbs over a week a go can't go very far.

I concur. 600 lbs for two weeks? What a joke! I like going up there, but common...with all the anglers that drive up there and the locals hitting it every day, there isn't much left after two days. Seriously...to charge 15 bucks with only that much fish stocked, that's ridiculous. And dinkers at that. There is no excuse now. DFG isn't stocking there anymore so for GVL to stock Calaveras and Jess Ranch dinkers is an insult to all who drive up there and pay. :Nut Kick:

Have you checked out the website? They are proud of posting 2 pounders and some ounces.

Trout Daddy
08-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Place went downhill when Bob left and the water board cut off the money supply to the new lake manager. They used to put 1000# of quality fish a week in that place. DD fish all the time came out. Those days are long gone but not forgotten......

Limit Time
08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Place went downhill when Bob left and the water board cut off the money supply to the new lake manager. They used to put 1000# of quality fish a week in that place. DD fish all the time came out. Those days are long gone but not forgotten......

How Sad...it was a nice get-away for summer trout fishing.

Is there a reason why DFG doesn't stock it anymore?

Matt44
08-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Fished the lake as a young kid have great memories here! But If you guys are after trophy trout I hate to break it to you but southern california just isnt the place.pay to fish Truck trout trophies down here...save your money and go after the wild tail!!! Its more rewarding and fun.

Pacifico
08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Im gonna hit up GVL this Friday with my lil daughter, will post report this weekend.

IncredibleHuck
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Fished the lake as a young kid have great memories here! But If you guys are after trophy trout I hate to break it to you but southern california just isnt the place.pay to fish Truck trout trophies down here...save your money and go after the wild tail!!! Its more rewarding and fun.

For sure! But catching those wilds takes too much time for most guys.

Matt44
08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
For sure! But catching those wilds takes too much time for most guys.

You got that right huck those wild trout are smart! They dont get tossed pedigree 2 or 3 times a day! its all about catching and not fishing down here in this trout scene, its a pissing contest. Baffles me that these guys consider those fish trophies...far from it!

fisherman951
08-26-2014, 01:28 PM
You got that right huck those wild trout are smart! They dont get tossed pedigree 2 or 3 times a day! its all about catching and not fishing down here in this trout scene, its a pissing contest. Baffles me that these guys consider those fish trophies...far from it!

Sugestions of were i can go to catch some?

Matt44
08-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Locally you can catch nice trout at big bear! But both the west and east side of the sierras offer great opportunities. Crowley is a great place to start!

The Walking Trout
08-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Locally you can catch nice trout at big bear! But both the west and east side of the sierras offer great opportunities. Crowley is a great place to start!

Big Bear is one of my favorites. Big Bear trout are good fighters and their pink meat is very tasty. My daughter only eats pink meat trout...not the white meat that DFG stock at the local lakes.

Sierras are awesome. Only get to do that once or twice a year! I like both east and west side! There are so many great places to hike and fish up there!

The Walking Trout
08-26-2014, 11:13 PM
How Sad...it was a nice get-away for summer trout fishing.

Is there a reason why DFG doesn't stock it anymore?

Not sure whey they stopped stocking at GVL. I think because there were so many complaints about catching a limit of 4 to 6 ounce trout, GVL told hem not to come back! OR...maybe the water temperature is too warm.

KidTrout
08-27-2014, 12:26 AM
If you guys are looking to catch some fish at GVL then this week will be a good opportunity for you guys. Bigger stock than normal going in for the holiday. Get a boat post up on the bubble hole then go to town on them! Last time I was there I CNR over 50 fish in 2 1/2 hours. I'll be getting my trout fix up in the sierras for 4 days. Can't wait!

Limit Time
08-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Not sure whey they stopped stocking at GVL. I think because there were so many complaints about catching a limit of 4 to 6 ounce trout, GVL told hem not to come back! OR...maybe the water temperature is too warm.

If they are not stocking it anymore, why do we need a fishing license to fish there? Pay for fish and a license doesn't make sense for those dinks. :(