PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Tuna chasing to Halibut Any suggestions off shore

JL
08-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Been fishing hard for the Tuna and Dorado out of Dana point. Spending big bucks on Gas and Bait 2 or 3 times a week. Thought we might take a break and hunt for Halibut. I fished Halibut on lots of in shore but never really got off shore looking for Halibut.

Need some suggestions on where to head and drift or troll for Halibut. Leaving out of Dana Point. Not looking for your secret spot unless you want to PM me.

thanks

God Bless And Tight Lines.

twin22s
08-15-2014, 05:07 PM
There are several good spots relatively close to DPH, bottom line you are looking for stretches of flat bottom adjacent to rocks, kelp or drop offs. just outside or inside of the artificial reefs off of san clemente is a good start. also just north of the harbor is good too but make sure you know where you are relative to the laguna beach MLPA. when the water is colder the shallow areas of sand just behide the surf can be the best place to go but this time of year i would look for them between 35-80ft. there are still reports of halibut being caught from shore but mostly farther north. cold water for halibut is actually a plus so look for water less than 70* if you can find it. I have a specific spot in mind that i will not discuss here...:Envious:

JL
08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks twin22s