PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Irvine

Doghunter
08-13-2014, 03:26 PM
I was at Irvine on Saturday for the first time, as I entered the gate I asked the girl where a good place to go was, she pointed us to Santiago Flats which was ok. We caught a couple that were 3 1/2 to 4lbs. and had a few other bites, the only thing that sucked was the amount of weeds. Is it that way all over the lake, or are there areas that aren't as bad? I was going to go this Saturday, but wanted to try somewhere else on the lake. Does Anybody have any areas they could share, without giving up their secret spot? Even watching the guys pulling their anchors had tons of weeds on the ends.

Thanks,
Blair

troutdog
08-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds like the girl gave you some good advice, because there are lots of fishing holding in those weeds right now....we were there Saturday as well. (report posted) If you want to try a new area and looking for less vegetation try fishing as far down as possible along the West Shore if shore fishing. If you get a rental and fish more than 30 feet deep the weeds shouldn't be an issue at all.

Good luck Blair, let us know how ya do!

TD

Doghunter
08-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Troutdog,
Thanks for the advice.
We were shore fishing, since I hadn't been there before, I didn't want to bring my boat.
It just seemed that with the weeds as thick as they are that the bait isn't making it down very far, I could be wrong though. We were using a 1 ounce sinker , a swivel with an 18" leader and a 2/0 circle hook, with cut mackerel for bait, I also hooked into one a nightcrawler also, but lost it when it got tangled in another line.

Blair

esteban1t
08-13-2014, 10:33 PM
i Don't Really shore fish... but the weeds can be annoying when you are in the flats but thats where a lot of fish are.
If you bring your boat i suggest going to the flats and find some weed beds that are in the middle of the flats and fish around those areas... they are productive spots when im out there... and also just west of the boat docks is good, not too many weeds
fly lining is good, but i also carolina rig shrimp with marshmellows and that also works very good

Doghunter
08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info, it is a big help.

troutdog
08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Ditch that sinker ....a piece of mack will give you plenty of weight to throw it out and sink. Think about it, if you have 2-3 feet of weeds and you have that big ol sinker on where do you think your bait is? (buried in the veggies) Flyline your bait (I like filets rather than chunks when fishing weeds) and your bait will lay right on top where the fish are crusing and can locate your bait. Fishing in a boat is the way to go for catting at the Vine imo.

TD

Doghunter
08-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Troutdog,
I will give that a try with the sinkers. My biggest concern with my boat, was really just getting it back on the trailer at night.
Thanks for the help.
Blair

troutdog
08-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Understandable, although the Team 57 guys I have been fishing with lately seemed to have it dailed in without any negative Repercussions. Sometimes the $55 on a rental is worth the peace of mind until Mother Nature gives us some more wet stuff! :Wink:

Hope to see you at the lake soon, we'll be out there next Saturday for sure.

TD