PDA

View Full Version : Quick SD report from Monday 8/11

Bob_B
08-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Headed up to North county yesterday to try and find some salad free water which I did, but the surf was BIG. Headed back to my usual stomping grounds to smaller surf but tons of nasty salad and a strong northernly pull. It's 7:55am, the tide is rolling in. Second cast gets me a 16 inch butt, this would be one of only about 4 casts that came back salad free. Cast....eel gras, cast....chopped up kelp and so on and so on. About an hour later threw a cast to some calm water and instantly hooked up. Could tell right away what it was due it's surface thrashing and short quick runs. Right around 25-26 inches of beautiful silver!! Shortfin Corvina.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/Bob_Benner/DSCN0801_zps0a777754.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Bob_Benner/media/DSCN0801_zps0a777754.jpg.html)

These are my favorite bay species to target since they consistently hit top water plugs. This is the time of year where they really slow down in the bay which is why this is the time of the year I target Halibut in the surf. Always a nice bonus to get one of these in the surf. Of course the fish was released as all Corvina should be. Thanks for reading!!

Stumpknocker
08-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Very nice fish from the surf...I wish we had those here up north a bit...

bachiboy
08-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Awesome score Bob! Way to pull a great fish through all that salad and surge. Looks like your return to the surf is paying big dividends.

Congrats!
Don

bones
08-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Awesome Bob.....That's one species I have yet to catch from the surf. I've heard they are great fighters. I've always wanted to do a road trip to SD and give the Corvina and Bonefish a shot from a skiff. I've heard both species can be targeted in Mission Bay along with the usual spotties. One of these days I have to put a road trip together and go down to Oceanside to visit my sister and then take the time to fish the southern area hard for a few days.
Keep up the great work sir!

Bob_B
08-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Awesome Bob.....That's one species I have yet to catch from the surf. I've heard they are great fighters. I've always wanted to do a road trip to SD and give the Corvina and Bonefish a shot from a skiff. I've heard both species can be targeted in Mission Bay along with the usual spotties. One of these days I have to put a road trip together and go down to Oceanside to visit my sister and then take the time to fish the southern area hard for a few days.
Keep up the great work sir!

Both can be targeted in Mission Bay, but bonefish are much more abundant in San Diego Bay along with Corvina. Mission bay has been very sloooow the last two years as far as Corvina go but San Diego Bay was on fire this year. April through July is the best time for Corvina.

Wingnut
08-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Corvina, that's so cool! That's one species I still need to cross off my list for the surf.
Stood next to a couple of friends that caught one, but Poseidon hasn't blessed me with one yet. :Envious:
Keep up the good work out there Bob. :Big Grin:

Bob_B
08-18-2014, 03:15 AM
Corvina, that's so cool! That's one species I still need to cross off my list for the surf.
Stood next to a couple of friends that caught one, but Poseidon hasn't blessed me with one yet. :Envious:
Keep up the good work out there Bob. :Big Grin:

Arthur, next season when they are running hard in the bay I will hit you up and get you down here on some fish. There is nothing like a big Vina smashing a top water bait. They get airborne and slash all over the surface, just a super cool fish!

SP Dan
08-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Hi ya Bob_B,

WOW! That is one beautiful fish! :Envious:

I have yet to pull a Corvina out from the surf, so it still remains on my targeted species bucket list.

I'll have to make a run down that way one of these days and try to scratch another off my list.

Thanx Bob for the excellent fish report with pic!

I hope to see you at HG-6 next month! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><