PDA

View Full Version : proper prop pitch for trolling

pope5
10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Guys,
looking for advice on the right prop pitch for trolling. I have a triumph 190 bay with a 115 yami 4 stroke. i will be trolling dvl and lakes up to 10,000 feet in the sierras. thanks for the input.

sansou
10-10-2007, 09:21 AM
I have a boat (w/ 60 hp 2 stroke Merc) that I use exclusively up in the Rockies. Consequently, when I brought it from Phoenix, I had to make plenty of changes related to altitude.

The question you ask is not simple, assuming you wish to maintain top efficiency. The higher you go, the less HP you have.

you need to first figure out what size prop you have, and what your RPM range is (also when throttled up). The general rule is that you will want 2 inches less pitch than whatever you are using at sea level. The key to it is to find either the exact same model/make prop, minus 2 inches or so, or go to a less cupped prop (make sure it doesn't cause you to rev too high in the RPMs!).

Keep im mind that if you plan on using your boat high up permanently, and it is an expensive/high end boat, you may want to see your mechanic about changing the gear ratios. This is the better long-term solution for the nicer boats.