PDA

View Full Version : you think lake trout in the sierras will bite a hudd shad or bbz mini shad?

matt duarte
08-09-2014, 09:33 PM
so me being more of a bass fisherman then a trout guy.. going to lake mamie in mammoth in a few weeks i was thinking of bringing some huddleston shad swimbaits they are about 3.5-4" and a bbz shad thats smaller.. i know the big trout in the lakes have to feed on other fish so im hoping its possible for one to take a bite.. going to pick up another lite rod and reel tomorrow for PB and smaller trout lures.. but thought it would be cool to get one on a lil swimbait.. any one ever fish for lake trout with these type of baits?

Matt44
08-09-2014, 10:32 PM
They dont have any lake trout (macks) up in those lakes. You will have rainbows browns and brooks. Browns are meat eaters. Trust me there are huge browns up in those lakes. I fish nothing but 3.5 to 7 inch minnow immitations. Usually rapalas. But there some others that work really well. Macks love bigger swimbaits though gotta head farther up to get the big lake trout.

matt duarte
08-09-2014, 10:48 PM
nice good to know! def going to be tossing or trolling the hudd shads from the yak.. ya by lake trout i didnt mean the monsters just ment the ones in the lakes and not the rivers/streams lol my bad on the communication.. but ya ive seen some huge browns and brookes in the back country lakes above rock creek lake.. saw a easy 10+lber swimming around and it was proly 15ft down or more and still looked huge and it wouldnt touch spinners or PB really wish i had my big baits that trip i knew he proly woulda ate it since it proly fed only on lil trouts.. ive had a trout at DVL slam a rapala DT 10 blue gill so hopefully ill have some luck in some of those lakes with the hudds and mini bbz.. would be much more exciting to get them on one of those baits over a spinner or PB