PDA

View Full Version : First timer fishing on a Kayak from Newport

Imjose88
08-07-2014, 07:34 PM
First timer fishing on kayak and saltwater as well anyone can tell me or give me tips on what I will get from Newport and what to used, bait, lures, etc.. Any thing will help thank you guys

Mike_Aye
08-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Hey Jose,

use 1/4 big hammer or 3/8 big hammer jig head, with 3 to 4 inch swimbaits.

If you want to throw bait, buy some squid and/or ghost shrimp on a c-rig

I just recently bought a fishing kayak, I haven't gone it yet since I still need to buy some stuff for it (lifejacket, rod holders, etc.)

Let us know how it goes

BALLERONBUDGET
08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
get ur basic necessites as a priority if u will.... lifejacket , flag whistle ,paddle leashes nite lights if needed . h20 proof case . be willing to part with any of the above and ur belongings in case u capsize or flip over . seen it happen to fellow yak .. test ur yak and get comfy and adjust accordingly. theres side pontoons drift bags anchors etc...gud luck

Montesdad
08-09-2014, 06:26 AM
I kayak quite a bit from Dana Point and on occasion, Newport, La Jolla and some surf launches.

1. If its not attached to the yak, be prepared to part with it permanently - get some thin bungee cord, velcro and some cheap carabiners and attach anything valuable.
2. Launch from the coast guard station or from the end of the peninsula at the park.
3. Stay in the harbor for a few trips until you know what you are doing
4. Fish around the boats that are moored or in front of piers and between the docks.
4a. Stay out of the boating lanes as much as possible - lots of big boats and they usually can't see you even tho you have the right of way.
5. If it starts to get real windy - head back in before it gets bad (unless you have a Hobie) as it will be a long walk back to where you started.

Imjose88
08-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys I'm still buying everything I need and testing on big lakes first. Trying to get used to the movement on the yak. I will make sure I tie and velcor everything down also. What type of fish would I be getting in the harbor, anything I can keep and eat? ����