PDA

View Full Version : tips for a first timer

gcopple
08-06-2014, 03:30 PM
going to be in imperial beach for a week this month and wanting to see if that would be an alright place to get some surf fishing in. never fished the surf, only bass fishing dvl and perris mostly so i'm new to this. i have some lc pointers and stacee's but none of the salt water ones...also what is good to just catch some fish other than the lc? i like to try for bigger fish my wife just likes to catch as many as she can...thansk! oh, and we'll be right by the pier down there so you know location wise if it iwll make a difference.

Thanks for any info.

fish_sauce
08-06-2014, 04:00 PM
If you haven't already done so, just look at the stickie threads under "SoCal Surf, Harbor, Bay, & Pier Reports," there are some great write-ups for tips for beginners on the surf.

BSP's writeup on halibut surfing could be found here: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Surf-Fishing-for-Halibut-101

Your LC pointers should work fine on the surf. I use it sometimes for surf perch and whatever else that wants to bite it. They don't cast quite as well as the flashminnows though.

As for alternative lures...a versatile lure of choice for me (other than the LC's) are the megabait jigs in 5/8 and 1 oz.
they look like this:
Just cast it out there and bounce it off the bottom, try varying the retrieve speed. It works better in sandy areas with low vegetation. I've caught a wide variety of species with them.

Good luck out there bro, hope to see your report!

Andrew

gcopple
08-14-2014, 11:12 AM
thanks for the tips andrew...i'll throw up some reports when i get back, hopefully not getting skunked...