PDA

View Full Version : Why Lucky Craft baits?

fishmounter
08-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Just what is it that makes the Lucky Craft baits so much better than other baits? Is it just a "name brand" lure that makes them popular or the way they are made or what? Are they really that much better than say a Rapala bait of the same design, shape, size, color and action? I'm primarily talking about using these baits in saltwater for bass and halibut.

AngryAgent
08-05-2014, 10:54 PM
In for opinions of the surf guys.

DanyoWanyo
08-05-2014, 11:15 PM
they work? confidence bait? it all ends up being personal preference in my opinion.
as for myself I prefer the luckycraft's because of the detail and craftsmanship in the lure.

cutbait
08-06-2014, 05:01 AM
Detail and craftsmanship, with action a factor.

Smitchwicks "roll", knock offs are just tick behind in action....

Then you have your yo zuris, duo's, jack all... all of which I would fish, but nothing competes with the LC

Rapala = Chevy impala

Rebel = Fiat

Luckycraft= BMW

simijab
08-06-2014, 07:32 AM
go read my surf fshing report from sunday 8/3. this was the first trip I used a Lucky Craft as my only lure and you can see the results

skunked4life
08-06-2014, 08:06 AM
1. The action - seems as though LC's have better action in the surf than others.
2. The suspension - they are designed to suspend at the specified depths (ie: 110 at around 2 ft and the 115 SP at around 3 to 4 ft) and this is a hot zone for most surf fish.
3. Because everyone else uses them - yes, I said it. Jump on the bandwagon. Why? I have always said that no matter what you throw, throw with confidence. I learned this from S.W.A.T. masters like Arthur, Dan and Don. If you know that others are throwing them and having success, you are more likely to have a bit of assurance behind you when you throw them. This matters alot and your level of confidence will shape your technique and the LC's action in the surf.

DarkShadow
08-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I think LC made their products available to American consumers early on in the game, thus they created a loyal following.

I can name 10 other manufacturers that rival or beat LCs, but getting their products to the US can be a bit difficult.

seal
08-06-2014, 08:53 AM
They are not magic, many others work. But I have grown to appreciate them because of availability and variety. They are overpriced but for confidence and productivity reasons I keep buying them.

I've even put down my cheap, but productive, spooks and been throwing mostly Samy's this topwater season. My bank account is suffering but I like the action of the Samy over the spook.

DarkShadow
08-06-2014, 02:52 PM
.... but I like the action of the Samy over the spook.

Check out the Dog X from Megabass. They come in sliding and walking models, but my Sammy's (even the wooden models) have been relegated to 2nd string on the depth chart once I fished those MBs gem. One of them has all the paint missing thanks to 50+ fish days (before 9 am) at an unnamed location for a month straight and I've had to replace the trebles twice. When fish are breaking trebles off a bait, you know you have something good.

Cadillyak
08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
I believe the lc's, more importantly the FM 110 have a weight distribution system that allows for further casts.

seal
08-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Check out the Dog X from Megabass. They come in sliding and walking models, but my Sammy's (even the wooden models) have been relegated to 2nd string on the depth chart once I fished those MBs gem. One of them has all the paint missing thanks to 50+ fish days (before 9 am) at an unnamed location for a month straight and I've had to replace the trebles twice. When fish are breaking trebles off a bait, you know you have something good.

I have a shell on my truck. I have felt lining on it. I use to have a collection of puppy's with trebles pulled out, kind of a weakness in the lure but the size and colors I used mimicked the silversides in the lake perfectly. Funny thing I had over 10 hanging at one point I was thinking of returning them to Hedon and asking for a new batch.

I'll have to try the Megabass, I, and looks like you, am a topwater junkie, help me!

DarkShadow
08-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I believe the lc's, more importantly the FM 110 have a weight distribution system that allows for further casts.

I think a lot of hard bait manufacturers have some type of weight distribution system that allows for better casts, which nowadays equates to mechanisms to avoid the bait 'wobbling' or 'rolling' in the air during casts.

Off the top of my head, Zip has the mag drive system: http://www.zipbaits.com/magdrive.php and Deps Balisong series of jerkbaits have similar features.

MB's saltwater line is pretty insane:

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/saltwater/shore_minnow/

I'll have to try the Megabass, I, and looks like you, am a topwater junkie, help me!

I used to attend Topwater Anonymous meetings but I figured I'd use the time to fish topwater baits instead. I used to keep it secret from my friends, relatives. It's caused me to miss days at work, (usually in the fall) and there have been times where, even though I'm fishing with friends, I'll walk to the other side of cove with my topwater box, and I'll take off my Senko, and secretly tie one on making sure nobody notices. When I come back, they all ask where I've been and what all those stripers are doing on my stringer.

Wanna mimic a silverside? Use this pattern:

http://www.megabass.co.jp/products_images/DOG%20X%20Jr%20COAYU%20HT%20NATURAL%20WAKASAGI.jpg

:Secret:

fishinone
08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
The action is top notch!

A master Rapala fisherman can produce excellent catches.

A novice throwing the LC can come close to those results.

What I happens in the hands of a master LC fisherman?

DarkShadow
08-07-2014, 02:11 PM
The action is top notch!

A master Rapala fisherman can produce excellent catches.

A novice throwing the LC can come close to those results.

What I happens in the hands of a master LC fisherman?

What other baits have you tried?

P.A.W.
08-08-2014, 02:05 PM
I use LC pointers and flash minnows for stripers. I've tried a bunch of similar (Rapalas , IMA Flits, Live Target, Savage) and The LC just seems to produce more numbers for me. I really like their castability. One thing I hate is the hardware. I just tied a brand new 90sp on this morning. My third 2 pound striper opened up the split ring and took off with my treble. Really? Three fish? I have owner rings and hooks to replace them with but this is not a record to brag about. Still it is my confidence bait and I will stick with it.

DockRat
08-08-2014, 10:36 PM
X2
The loose ball bearings go to the rear of the LC when casting. When the LC hits the water they go up a ramp and off a step where they lock in for the retrieve. They dive and hold a neutral position and don't float up very fast as many others do. The bearings and ramp can be seen in the ghost models.
DR

jerryG
08-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Most important thing for me is they work.. The quality and performance of their products are consistent and perhaps this is why their lures are so consistent at producing fish. When I take into consideration the limited amount of time I have to fish and the gas /expenses involved with getting out on the water I want to make sure that I am using lures that I'm confident will produce the best results.

I find value in the fact that these lures have delivered for me time and time again.. Sure there are other baits out there that I have found to be comparable however most if not all of them cost more than the LC. I see no value in trying to save a few bucks by buying an inferior product that does not perform as well and therefore does not produce as well.. Just a waist of time and money in my opinion.. I"m not saying a lure has to cost a lot to be good but I will say these lures are well worth the money..

billy b
08-17-2014, 09:48 AM
cutbait

"Rebel =Fiat" Are these made by the same Rebel that came out years ago ... right behind Rapala ... like an imitation Rapala? I've wondered if they are still around. I still have to use the Ole Original Rainbow (not the one that came out late

Can't hardly troll anywhere ... without soaking one of them. I just hammered BBL one afternoon that was epic ... between the floating toilet and the Steve Allen house

smokehound
08-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Hype. I mean yeah, they're high-quality lures, but you can do just fine without em. Ever try scroungers? Try one in combination with a zoom fluke.

cutbait
08-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Hype. I mean yeah, they're high-quality lures, but you can do just fine without em. Ever try scroungers? Try one in combination with a zoom fluke.
Deadly baits. But not a complete replacement

Nor is the LC a replacement for the scrounger.

Two completely different methods that sometimes overlap but not always

cutbait
08-17-2014, 08:11 PM
cutbait

"Rebel =Fiat" Are these made by the same Rebel that came out years ago ... right behind Rapala ... like an imitation Rapala? I've wondered if they are still around. I still have to use the Ole Original Rainbow (not the one that came out late

Can't hardly troll anywhere ... without soaking one of them. I just hammered BBL one afternoon that was epic ... between the floating toilet and the Steve Allen house
Perhaps I generalized too much here.

Rebel and rapalas have their place. Just not as a top tier bait. For trout the rebel and rapala do well.

With light line you can cast them decently. Once you range up above 10lb test they both are poor at casting distance compared to the higher end baits designed to cast.

I'm just not a fan of them. I think they also have a second rate paint job

They also do well trolling.

DarkShadow
08-18-2014, 09:52 AM
For trout the rebel and rapala do well.

I had one Rebel in my life, the ole "Broken Back." I broke it out of the package after buying it at K-Mart for a trip to King Harbor back in the early 90s when the huge bonita were roaming the bubble. Cast it out, I get boiled on, and I retrieve half of it back. "Broken back" was a good name for it.

My buddies were huge fans, as they apparently enjoyed spending 30 minutes trying to tune the thing out of the package, unless they wanted a bait that made circles all the way back to the shore.

Bait manufacturers get one chance to make a good impression.

titos334
08-18-2014, 10:19 PM
The Luckycraft 110 is just one of the lures that caught on and has spread really well through word of mouth because they are proven time and again to work. In the surf they are a great bait, although they do come with piss poor hooks. Luckycraft as a brand is one of the top, crankbait lure manufacturers in my opinion, as such it's no surprise one of their lures is dominant in a certain situation.

Gossamer
08-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Because.....

tacklejunkie
11-02-2014, 05:50 AM
I've had great luck with lucky craft and rapala.
I have a lot of lures. Some work well, others do not. My LC's and Rapalas work well. Reliably.

In fact, there is even some Strike King lures that I will throw after some modification. Rapalas and LC's I just throw right from the box. My largest largemouth bass I caught on a Strike King crankbait. Hell of a fight. Largest halibut on LC flash minnow.

I never caught a thing on my mega bass ito vision 110 thingy. I forget what it was called..

Speaking strictly in crank bait terms and not jerkbaits, I found Rapala and Strike King crank baits to work better than Lucky Craft. Don't know why. Haven't had much luck with LC crank baits, but their jerkbaits produce very well, better than Rapala and Strike King.

For trout I like to throw Snap Beans or Pins Minnows from Yozuri or Bitsy Minnows from strike king. Miniature 3' rod and 2lb line required.

I do recall having some rebel lures that didn't swim anything close to what me or the fish would desire. That was the last time I bought lures out of the walmart special section and about the time I began to make my own!

DarkShadow
11-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I've had great luck with lucky craft and rapala.
I have a lot of lures. Some work well, others do not. My LC's and Rapalas work well. Reliably.

In fact, there is even some Strike King lures that I will throw after some modification. Rapalas and LC's I just throw right from the box. My largest largemouth bass I caught on a Strike King crankbait. Hell of a fight. Largest halibut on LC flash minnow.

I never caught a thing on my mega bass ito vision 110 thingy. I forget what it was called..

Speaking strictly in crank bait terms and not jerkbaits, I found Rapala and Strike King crank baits to work better than Lucky Craft. Don't know why. Haven't had much luck with LC crank baits, but their jerkbaits produce very well, better than Rapala and Strike King.

For trout I like to throw Snap Beans or Pins Minnows from Yozuri or Bitsy Minnows from strike king. Miniature 3' rod and 2lb line required.

I do recall having some rebel lures that didn't swim anything close to what me or the fish would desire. That was the last time I bought lures out of the walmart special section and about the time I began to make my own!

TJ,

LC's is what began my fascination and respect for lure manufacturers overseas, but I still carry old reliables in my tacklebox. The problem is, realizing that just how the LMB market has resulted in a tidal wave of companies releasing their products overseas, the same thing is happening with trout.

I've acquired a few nice trout hard lures throughout my time, specifically bought to target trout in the Sierras, but never got around to actually fishing them thanks to the pesky chicken feather fly thing I stumbled into.

You should check out some of them...but hide the wallet when you do.

DocSpotty
11-03-2014, 10:53 AM
When I was in my teens (45 years ago) I used rebels....was what I could afford.....caught many bass on them. As I got older switched to rapalas caught lots of fish on them also. About 10 years ago I was peacock bass fishing with a guide in Florida....wasn't doing so well with rapala jerkbaits. He switched me to a LuckyCraft and I have used them almost exclusively since. One of my first LC,s rests on my driftwood with "retired" lures....having taken 108 peacocks....with a few largemouth in one day....paint is missing, one of the eyes has been knocked out....hooks were mangled so I retired her. For twitching, or jerking I use nothing else. But I still use other brands for different situations........

Brian

tacklejunkie
11-03-2014, 04:35 PM
I want that lucky craft creek minnow. It's a little tiny thing. Skyler and I found it online but I never got one yet. I think it had to be imported.