PDA

View Full Version : 08-02 Report and Question

dcpeter28
08-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Decided to go fishing with the family on Saturday for some bass. Started around 8 but we got no action until around 10. My little brother ended up catching his first ever fish. I have taken him on several trips but he usually gets bored within a short while. What's funny is that no one on the boat thought he actually had the fish... we all just assumed he had gotten snagged but sure enough he had caught his first bass. Here's a pic... was kinda afraid to hold the bass but did just fine...

Fished mostly dropshot but fish was caught on a finesse Carolina.

This ended up being the only fish of the day... had to leave early because we heard what seemed like thunder and then it started sprinkling. As we reached the dock it felt like someone flipped a switch because it started to really come down. Didn't mind getting wet though since I know it is very needed.

As for my question... Is there a better way of fishing "deep" without electronics ??? We normally rent a boat and cast toward shore but it seems like not to many fish are there during this time. Would just like some tips since we might be going out again next week.

gogreeenz4
08-05-2014, 02:08 PM
have pete take you and the family out! you cant go wrong that way

HawgZWylde
08-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Fish the points. Fish are anywhere from 5ft to 40ft...

dcpeter28
08-06-2014, 05:36 AM
have pete take you and the family out! you cant go wrong that way

I would love to do this but money is kinda tight... I'm going to contact him to see how much it would cost and try to save up.

dcpeter28
08-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Fish the points. Fish are anywhere from 5ft to 40ft...

When fishing points, would it be best to anchor next to shore and cast out or cast towards shore?

gcopple
08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
i am a uphill kinda guy myself.

HawgZWylde
08-06-2014, 06:23 PM
When fishing points, would it be best to anchor next to shore and cast out or cast towards shore?

Try both and let the fish tell you how they want it. Personally my preference is down hill but at an angle, not straight down. Straight uphill seems to snag a lot more but sometimes that's how the fish want it. I fish with jigs a lot that I paint up and put together and I hate losing those things...

dcpeter28
08-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Try both and let the fish tell you how they want it. Personally my preference is down hill but at an angle, not straight down. Straight uphill seems to snag a lot more but sometimes that's how the fish want it. I fish with jigs a lot that I paint up and put together and I hate losing those things...

Thanks I'll give this a try next time I'm out... I really appreciate the help.

HawgZWylde
08-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks I'll give this a try next time I'm out... I really appreciate the help.

Anytime!Try it with a t-rigged creature bait using a black 3/16-1/4oz bullet weight, #3 EWG worm hook and a natural colored bait i.e. green pumpkin or brown. Cast shallow early in the day at about a 45 degree angle and work it slowly downhill pausing a lot. When the lights are on later, start deep and work it uphill at that 45 degree angle, but watch your line on the fall, if you see it "jump" set the hook. Many times they hit it when it's going by them...

dcpeter28
08-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Anytime!Try it with a t-rigged creature bait using a black 3/16-1/4oz bullet weight, #3 EWG worm hook and a natural colored bait i.e. green pumpkin or brown. Cast shallow early in the day at about a 45 degree angle and work it slowly downhill pausing a lot. When the lights are on later, start deep and work it uphill at that 45 degree angle, but watch your line on the fall, if you see it "jump" set the hook. Many times they hit it when it's going by them...

I'm going to try to rent a boat either this Sunday or next weekend and will try this. I honestly do appreciate the tips. I'll post a quick report once I go out to let you know how I do.