PDA

View Full Version : 8/1 more summer bummer

P.A.W.
08-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Water is 75ish and still clear as a glass of Vodka. Level is also down a bit more from a few days ago. Hit a couple stripers on the rig right out of the gate but as soon as the sun came up it was game over. After reading Pete's report on DVL I decided to go deep for LMB. Man, I forgot how boring it is to drop-shot in 35-40 feet. After only 1/2 hour I decided to do something else (ANYTHING) else. It was getting hot so I just trolled around listening to the radio and casting at the occasional boil of little schoolies that would come up. Might be time to break out the downriggers since I did spot a few bait balls near the bottom at 45-60 feet.

Take plenty of drinks and sunscreen it is HOT out there.

Harley51
08-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Did they fix the other dock yet

P.A.W.
08-03-2014, 08:26 PM
On Friday I was told they had gotten the go-ahead to do the repair since the other side was starting to look funky too. Can't have both sides down. :Head Bang:

Big-Bob
08-03-2014, 10:01 PM
I hope they fix the dock that is down now and service the one that is currently in use. It is only a matter of time before the intact one goes down.

NFCD I
08-04-2014, 07:13 AM
I've never really checked it out, but why can't we use the #2 ramp while #1 is being repaired? Is it a parking problem?

elbowlayer
08-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I was out there on Fri too and I was only able to grind out a few dink LMB, and a nice 3#r at ramp two docks, dropshotting the shade. I went back on Sat and it stayed cloudy all day, and it was still a grind but I landed 3 nice size bass with dinks mixed in. Most those fish came on a deep drop shot with a nice fatty coming on a squarebill in the shade.

P.A.W.
08-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I returned today 8/4 and stayed on stripers. Limited on smaller models by 10:30. Nice and cool early. Water is still dropping slowly.

kaiyasdad
08-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Any boils yet or u still trolling?

P.A.W.
08-05-2014, 05:28 AM
Both. The rats have been boiling off and on for over a month, but the troll bite, such as it is, has just begun to turn on. Nothing steady. Just one here and one there. The boils are the typical summer type. Out in open water and all smaller fish. No easy pick either. They are chasing very small prey so they will often be spooked by a jerkbait or just ignore it. STEALTH is key. They will immediately go away if you get too close with an outboard motor.

sweetfish
08-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks Pat for the update.

P.A.W.
08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
OK, was out today 8/6 and the bite has slowed from just yesterday. Only chased one good boil and had a total of 7 or 8 fish. Compared with Monday and 14-15 fish. Bait guys are kinda at a loss. I saw them spreading out to the main buoy line and abandoning the in-flow area.

Big-Bob
08-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the report PAW.

Did you go after any of the green kind or just focus on Striper?

NFCD I
08-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Pat, it was good to see you yesterday. I struggled myself. I picked up three stripers on the troll and one casting at the inlet. They were all 1.5# dinks. The LMB fishing was slow at best. I picked one up here and there on the drop shot, but nothing to write home about. I guess I need to start fishing deep for them. Next time out I'm going to try the Carolina rig off the deep points.

kaiyasdad
08-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the info. Hope the bigger fish show up in fall/winter like last year. Yeah the fish boiling out in middle of lake can be tough to catch. Try throwing the small 1.5 flukes in the boils. Kinda hard though as u gotta fish them on the small heads and u can't cast them too far.

P.A.W.
08-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Pat, it was good to see you yesterday. I struggled myself. I picked up three stripers on the troll and one casting at the inlet. They were all 1.5# dinks. The LMB fishing was slow at best. I picked one up here and there on the drop shot, but nothing to write home about. I guess I need to start fishing deep for them. Next time out I'm going to try the Carolina rig off the deep points.

Let me know how you do on the deep LMB. I may have to try it myself.

P.A.W.
08-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Kaiyasdad That is the problem huh? I have a darter head set up on a light spinning rod. Bigger fish are like 10- 12 weeks away! Have to make do with the taco sized models 'til then!

kaiyasdad
08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Just gotta use 4-6lb and a long spin rod. I use the scrounger type heads that vibrate. U can also use a larger size fluke and bite it off to make it shorter and it will be a little bit heavier so you can cast it farther.

ddoskocil
08-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Cool Pat, thanks. Hopefully cooler weather is on the way. Still have yet to put the new bass boat on Skinner. Cant wait.

P.A.W.
08-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Hey Darren, make sure you flag me down. I won't recognize you without the yellowtail chaser!