PDA

View Full Version : Tragic boat accident at El Capitan

Fishbreath
08-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Someone may have already posted this somewhere else on the site. There was a fatal accident at El Capitan yesterday when a speeding bass boat T-boned another stationary boat. One occupant of the other was a confirmed fatality and the other is still missing. The bass boat occupants were treated for lesser injuries. Here is the Channel 8 writeup:

"LAKESIDE (CBS 8) - The search resumed Friday for the body of a 20-year-old man who went missing following a two-boat collision on El Capitan Reservoir near Lakeside that killed his boating companion, authorities said.

San Diego Lifeguard Captain Nick Lerma says around 7:05 p.m. Thursday two boats collided in the waters killing one man, injuring two men and the search for another man turned into a recovery.

"No witness saw a fourth person but there is information that lead us to believe there is a fourth person," said Lerma.

He says a Ranger brand brass boat carrying two passengers collided with a another boat deep in a cove where there is a no wake zone.

"The Ranger [boat] according to witnesses was traveling at a high rate of speed and impacted a vessel that was stationary and drifting or anchored and all occupants were ejected from the vessels," said Lerma.

Investigators have updated information in the accident reporting two men in the speeding boat received numerous minor injury lacerations, which required hospitalization at Sharp.

On the other boat, a 21-year-old white male was pronounced dead and a 20-year-old white male is currently missing. Several agencies are involved in the search and investigation. San Diego Police Department's Northern Division is handling the collision investigation.

Witnesses loading their boat say they saw all the commotion when the search started.

"I had just seen the [park] ranger flying down to the water, undo his boat and take off after the accident in the water," said Lynette Clark.

Her friend saw police stopping witnesses. They thought the people causing the accident were trying to flee. Investigators clarified they wanted witnesses to stay to give a statement.

"They told these three guys, don't let them leave," said Sierra Noriega.

It's unclear if any of the passengers were wearing life vests, investigators believe speed caused the accident and wants all boaters to be aware of the waters.

"The cautionary tale here is you really have to keep your head on a swivel when you are operating a vessel. They can be dangerous," said Lerma.

Divers and investigators will continue their search Friday morning. They say it was too dark to continue searching. By policy divers had to stop in the dark.

The reservoir is about 10 feet deep and divers describe clear visibility. Investigators say they do not know if alcohol was a factor in the accident."

Edit: The second victim was recovered this afternoon. According to one source the operator of the bass boat was jailed at some point, probably out by now.

DarkShadow
08-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Saw the threads on SD Fish.

I'll feel real bad if the person who caused the accident was someone who was exceeding the speed limits. But, facts are hard to come by with incidents like this.

DEVOREFLYER
08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Pics of the boats.

Victims boat.
http://i.imgur.com/Y7TBRnp.jpg

Bass boat that hit them.
http://i.imgur.com/3tdNhOJ.jpg

DarkShadow
08-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Damn.

Don't even know what to say about this. Sometimes, PFDs won't help you out when it comes to a boat operator who may have made a mistake with speed.

Details are still out, I won't make a comment aside from that, especially considering lives were lost in this accident.

RIP to the family. You dont expect a loved one to go out to catch some fish and not come back.

dattack
08-01-2014, 04:25 PM
I feel so bad. Rip. I am guessing this would account to manslaughter. Didn't realize the impact could be this deadly considering rarely rent a boat.

Viejo
08-01-2014, 04:40 PM
There is no test required to operate a vessel whether a bass boat that can travel 40mph on the water or a pilot a 50 foot yacht. "The cautionary tale here is you really have to keep your head on a swivel when you are operating a vessel. They can be dangerous," said Lerma Pretty much sums it.

DarkShadow
08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
There is no test required to operate a vessel whether a bass boat that can travel 40mph on the water or a pilot a 50 foot yacht. "The cautionary tale here is you really have to keep your head on a swivel when you are operating a vessel. They can be dangerous," said Lerma Pretty much sums it.

The only caveat is that El Cap has a 35 MPH limit across the board, let alone the no wake zones.

And as I've experienced at DVL, 35 MPH doesn't mean anything to some boat operators.

:-\

twin22s
08-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Very sobering story, we all see those guys out on the water speeding, or goofing around, not to imply that was the case here. We usual shake our heads and wonder where the ranger is, never thinking anything like this would come of it. Makes you think... If it did happen in a "no wake" zone then there seems to be nothing wrong with the rules. I do prefer to fish on lakes with 5mph speed limits all over, like Skinner, just to avoid the skiers and PWC's. shame to see something like this happen. Definitely need to raise awareness for boater safety and obeying the posted limits. maybe extend the no wake zones or lower the max speed limit. I'm sure there are those with more information than us that will be able to make any changes to the rules or increase enforcement if in fact they were not within the speed limit. My condolences to the family and friends of the victims. lets hope more than just the parties involved can learn something from this tragedy.

RIP my fellow fisherman....

DEVOREFLYER
08-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Any accident on the water usually does not end well, add in that no one was wearing PFD's and it's looking for disaster to happen. While most people can swim few people are excellent swimmers, add wet clothing and shoes to the mix and any injury or trauma and it's game over. If the victims were in the cockpit or near it they had no chance. Look at the two that died last month at Pyramid the boat swamped, no accident and close to shore. Not wearing PDF's and tangled in the weeds made survival impossible. The driver of the Nitro X5 will most likely face vehicular manslaughter charges.

rodless5
08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
My condolences to the family. That bass boat is capable of alot more than 35MPH on the water. The rules are there for a reason so obey them and pay attention.

BALLERONBUDGET
08-02-2014, 07:52 AM
its unfortunately inevitable every year/every season actually yearround ..... boating /fishing/riding in boat/pwc /waterskiing is like a motorcycle ride... u gotta assume everyone else around you doesnt know wat the hell their doing and cant assume they do or know the rules of the lake theyre in...... ive known 2 incidents alone with friends of mine involved and attended funerals as a result................ ive seen pwcs go full throttle into the dock or shoreline cuz idiots too busy laughing away , hv no prior pwc experience , or just not paying attention!!!.... boating with alcohol involved??? well thats another can of worms to be opened up....... again RIP to those involved

basshole1
08-02-2014, 02:59 PM
WOW...so sad. You go out to the lake, expecting a good time on the water and unexpectedly lose your life. I have no words but to say this is tragic. My condolences to the victim's families. RIP fisherman.