PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth trip august 15-18 (need advice please!)

b_bspk
07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
I've been going mammoth for a little fishing trip that weekend, I have been going for years, but typically i go with my father and uncles and we fishing from our boat. This time im going with my girlfriend and we want to go hiking back to lakes and creeks ( no crazy hikes haha she's def not skilled in the outdoors) I was wondering if you guys think exploring the rock creek area for a couple of days would suffice? Thank you and I appreciate the feedback ahead of time! Thank you!

Viejo
07-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Rock creek is a very popular Mammoth destination for both locals and tourists. Pack a day pack with lunch and waters, and hike from Mosquito Flats trailhead. There are bathrooms at the trailhead. The trail is three miles to Chickenfoot lake with a host of lakes along the way. The trail is very well maintained and easy to walk and follow. There are five or six lakes along the way. Rock Creek has Brookies as does all of the lakes....especially at inlets. It is an incredible valley with gradual climb. You will be starting your hike at 10,000 feet but will see folks of all ages, from kids in strollers to old people like me. You will also see more Golden Retrievers and Labs then anywhere on earth on this trail....the Mammoth locals use it to do their daily walks. There are a number of other day hikes located in the mammoth area.

fly addict
07-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Rock Creek is a great place to take someone who is new to the outdoors. You start out at 10,000’ but the elevation gain on the trail is not bad until you start climbing over Mono pass or Italy Pass. Lots of nice scenery, the trail is very easy to hike, and there is good fishing along the creek and in the lakes. You will have lots of company on the trail. I have even seen people pushing strollers along the trail on the weekends. Most people only go in a couple of miles or less so if you want some privacy hike further up, the fishing is better up higher for Goldens. A fly and bubble work good on the lakes. You can expect thunder storms in August so have the right gear for rain.

b_bspk
07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Rock creek is a very popular Mammoth destination for both locals and tourists. Pack a day pack with lunch and waters, and hike from Mosquito Flats trailhead. There are bathrooms at the trailhead. The trail is three miles to Chickenfoot lake with a host of lakes along the way. The trail is very well maintained and easy to walk and follow. There are five or six lakes along the way. Rock Creek has Brookies as does all of the lakes....especially at inlets. It is an incredible valley with gradual climb. You will be starting your hike at 10,000 feet but will see folks of all ages, from kids in strollers to old people like me. You will also see more Golden Retrievers and Labs then anywhere on earth on this trail....the Mammoth locals use it to do their daily walks. There are a number of other day hikes located in the mammoth area.
Thank you soo much for the advice! I will look into it!

b_bspk
07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Rock Creek is a great place to take someone who is new to the outdoors. You start out at 10,000’ but the elevation gain on the trail is not bad until you start climbing over Mono pass or Italy Pass. Lots of nice scenery, the trail is very easy to hike, and there is good fishing along the creek and in the lakes. You will have lots of company on the trail. I have even seen people pushing strollers along the trail on the weekends. Most people only go in a couple of miles or less so if you want some privacy hike further up, the fishing is better up higher for Goldens. A fly and bubble work good on the lakes. You can expect thunder storms in August so have the right gear for rain.

Again, thank you as well, sir! I will look into that and i hope it doesnt rain haha ive never gone up there this late! *crosses fingers*

pcuser
07-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Again, thank you as well, sir! I will look into that and i hope it doesnt rain haha ive never gone up there this late! *crosses fingers*

I've been in the back country in late October and I've had some of my best fishing ever in the rain and snow. I've also caught some of my biggest fish in foul weather. Just dress in layers and don't fish in thunder and lightning. Common sense rules the day...

b_bspk
07-31-2014, 07:02 PM
I've been in the back country in late October and I've had some of my best fishing ever in the rain and snow. I've also caught some of my biggest fish in foul weather. Just dress in layers and don't fish in thunder and lightning. Common sense rules the day...

thank you, sir! yeah, i can handle the cold, but just worried about my lady haha

Nicelag
07-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Good luck and have fun with the advice you have already received. One additional word of advice especially for newbies. Be sure to keep the hiking light the first day to allow yourself to acclimate to the altitude. Altitude sickness is a miserable beast!!!

b_bspk
08-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Good luck and have fun with the advice you have already received. One additional word of advice especially for newbies. Be sure to keep the hiking light the first day to allow yourself to acclimate to the altitude. Altitude sickness is a miserable beast!!!

Appreciate the Kind words, I am def new to hiking in the mammoth area and it's going to be a shock hiking up there haha Thanks again!

mrg85
08-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Sherwin lakes is an easy day hike with some decent brook trout fishing, its closer to town as well

matt duarte
08-07-2014, 07:13 PM
how are the lake water levels in mammoth? saw on google earth that lake sabrina is almost empty... i was their in 2011 and it was full pool.. was shocked to see how much water is gone... we are planning on going up there in a week or 2 as well for some kayaking..

b_bspk
08-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Sherwin lakes is an easy day hike with some decent brook trout fishing, its closer to town as well

thank you, will also look into that, too!

b_bspk
08-07-2014, 10:41 PM
how are the lake water levels in mammoth? saw on google earth that lake sabrina is almost empty... i was their in 2011 and it was full pool.. was shocked to see how much water is gone... we are planning on going up there in a week or 2 as well for some kayaking..

wow, really??

matt duarte
08-07-2014, 10:47 PM
this is the photo from google earth of lake sabrina
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/IMG_39551_zps5726e9d8.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/IMG_39541_zps012d42c8.jpg

Ultralight
08-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Wow on sabrina.

Q. How often does google earth update their pics?

UL

matt duarte
08-07-2014, 11:23 PM
pretty sure this is somewhat recent they just did a update and made it go in 3d.. and the pic when i look at my house was def new and proly a few months old.. my bro in laws truck was in my drive way and they moved out maybe 5-6 months ago at most..

matt duarte
08-07-2014, 11:30 PM
could just be this lake though.. others look low but not this low.. this one def looks like it took the biggest hit.. twin lakes and mary look ok same with june and grant.. was thinking about parchers but south lake looks bad as well.. so idk its kinda confusing lol

b_bspk
08-09-2014, 05:30 AM
could just be this lake though.. others look low but not this low.. this one def looks like it took the biggest hit.. twin lakes and mary look ok same with june and grant.. was thinking about parchers but south lake looks bad as well.. so idk its kinda confusing lol

Wow... That's really, really sad to see... I've been fishing up in that area my entire life and that's just extremely depressing to see.

matt duarte
08-09-2014, 09:27 PM
talked to someone at parchers and they said that south lake is proly how it looks on google earth but said that lake sabrina has gone up recently so thats good to hear.. we got some cabins at lake mamie in mammoth so it should be sweet.. gonna be up there 19th or 20th to saturday

simijab
08-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Dont know where you are staying but saddlebag lake and the lakes up behind it are pretty cool. Super high elevation but pretty easy hiking and im a smoker and I can handle it. You can take the ferry to the back side of the lake and hike the back country from there. If you've never been there its worth a days hiking around

matt duarte
08-10-2014, 09:22 PM
if u wanna big hike u can go up to treasure lakes and get these bad boys! but its one hell of a hike... about 11500ft.. 4475844759

b_bspk
08-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Dont know where you are staying but saddlebag lake and the lakes up behind it are pretty cool. Super high elevation but pretty easy hiking and im a smoker and I can handle it. You can take the ferry to the back side of the lake and hike the back country from there. If you've never been there its worth a days hiking around

We are staying at the mammoth village? the resort? I've never stayed there, usually get a condo or stay at our family house in tahoe. Is saddle bag up the pass?

b_bspk
08-12-2014, 05:38 PM
if u wanna big hike u can go up to treasure lakes and get these bad boys! but its one hell of a hike... about 11500ft.. 4475844759
Where is this? :D Dude, I've caught almost every singe species of trout but golden!

matt duarte
08-12-2014, 07:33 PM
treasure lakes... made a mistake about the 11500 its actually 12500ft elevation.. proly a 6hr hike or so.. def not easy.. and the last leg of the hike is seriously dangerous climbing up the rock terrace..

b_bspk
08-14-2014, 03:32 AM
treasure lakes... made a mistake about the 11500 its actually 12500ft elevation.. proly a 6hr hike or so.. def not easy.. and the last leg of the hike is seriously dangerous climbing up the rock terrace..

That might be too gnarly for my lady haha