PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes 'lures only'?

Ultralight
07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Some lakes in the Sierras are artificial flies and lures only.

Flies I understand. What constitudes lures? Do things such as minijigs (1.5" tubes), Powerworms, Powermice also qualify as lures? Or are lures only metal lures such as spinners and spoons?

Love to have more info - if there is a master page that list all the lakes and regulations, that would be wonderful.

I have always taught my boys to obey all the rules of fishing including proper C&R etc. They are wanting to venture to more off the path areas and I need to know all the regulations. (Thanks in advance for helping me help my boys to learn the principle of doing things with integrity.)

UL

AngryAgent
07-29-2014, 05:54 PM
No Scent
barbless
single hook (as explained to me by DFG)
No tipping

Powerworms and scented baits will get you a hefty ticket.

I used to have more links but I can't find them. Here is something that might be useful:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5410679.pdf

Ultralight
07-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Angry Agent,

Thanks. THAT is an incredible link. Over 100 pages. Printing that whole monster volume out...

So minijigs are OK as long as they are not scented then...?

Thanks,
UL

AngryAgent
07-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Yeah Jigs are fine just pinch your barbs and no problem have a great time!

DEVOREFLYER
07-29-2014, 07:09 PM
After you pinch your barbs down take a cotton ball and see if it catches on the hook a friend of mine was cited when his hook caught on the cotton ball the warden used to check with. If you have a Dremel tool grind them off.

TroutOnly
07-29-2014, 08:12 PM
the game warden pulled out a piece of paper on me mike ,I laughed I triple checked my stuff before I packed it..................

Ultralight
07-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Wow, this warden stuff sounds a bit scary.

We were there Jan 1 this year and someone came by at PVR to check on our fishing license. I wondered how many people did not pick up their license yet. We had ours so we were OK but I had no idea that they were so intense - working on new year's day!

Can I have items on me that I DO NOT USE, but may use in another lake later in the day? For example, if barbless hook where I mash it down, but in my bag there are barbed hooks etc.

You have all been fantastic in answering my questions.

Thanks!
UL

DEVOREFLYER
07-29-2014, 08:48 PM
I have never had a problem with banned items on my person (fishing vest) just don't get caught actively fishing with it. Most warden's that I have had contact with had been watching me or my group at a distance thru binoculars or so they said.

AngryAgent
07-29-2014, 08:54 PM
At a certain lake we fish every year the warden comes with his fly rod and you wouldn't know he was the warden unless you have seen his routine before. True story, he isn't there to be friendly and give you fishing tips either. I have watched people openly tell on themselves not knowing who he was and then get tickets. Honestly though I am glad he is there and keeping people honest. That is a special fishery up there and I would like to see it stay that way.

On the other side of that UL it's not a big deal if you're following the rules and every interaction I have had with DFG has always been informative and usually beneficial in getting fishing info. It's really nothing to worry about.

Ultralight
07-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Everyone, I can't say 'Thank You' enough for all your help.

Appreciate the reassurance but as one who does not want any fines nor equipment confiscated (not sure if they do that), it is good to know ahead what to expect. I will double check my equipment along. I really want this trip to be successful for my wife (anniversary) and our boys. For the first time this past Jan, she fell in love fishing and have been talking a lot about going back to fish so this is a fantastic development. While she is not the type of gal that is difficult or demanding in the least bit, I still want to make her trips out with the boys really enjoyable.

Thanks again!

UL

ps: AngryAgent, ,printed out your link and put in a binder. Can't say enough about how fantastic that is to get a survey of ALL the fishable lakes in the Sierras. Could live to 100 and never explore everything at the rate we visit!

Kingfish Addict
07-30-2014, 11:00 PM
They used a piece of womens nylon when they checked my buddies gear, he was all good though.

AngryAgent
07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
ps: AngryAgent, ,printed out your link and put in a binder. Can't say enough about how fantastic that is to get a survey of ALL the fishable lakes in the Sierras. Could live to 100 and never explore everything at the rate we visit!

No problem UL I love it up there and am glad to help out! Please post pics of your fish and keep your secret spots a secret! Good luck up there

Ultralight
08-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks.

LOL! To be able to keep a secret, I would first need to have a secret hole. So far, nothing like that in six trips...:) All my previous trips are mostly two nights affairs. This is the first time we have a week. So far planned, going on a couple of all day hikes... (i.e. Mosquito flats all the way to Treasure lake maybe, and also the Saddle Bag 20 lakes loop - never done that one before.) But looking for more. May make a trip to Kirman - not quite beautiful hike but I've heard so much that we want to visit though we may get skunked with the algae bloom. At least we get to see it. Oh, also to Parker Lake which I'm told is beautiful but heavily pressured so chances of catching is low.

Any other suggestions would be much welcome.

UL

No problem UL I love it up there and am glad to help out! Please post pics of your fish and keep your secret spots a secret! Good luck up there

AngryAgent
08-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks.

LOL! To be able to keep a secret, I would first need to have a secret hole. So far, nothing like that in six trips...:) All my previous trips are mostly two nights affairs. This is the first time we have a week. So far planned, going on a couple of all day hikes... (i.e. Mosquito flats all the way to Treasure lake maybe, and also the Saddle Bag 20 lakes loop - never done that one before.) But looking for more. May make a trip to Kirman - not quite beautiful hike but I've heard so much that we want to visit though we may get skunked with the algae bloom. At least we get to see it. Oh, also to Parker Lake which I'm told is beautiful but heavily pressured so chances of catching is low.

UL

I'll make suggestions after I die LMAO

Viejo
08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
"Thanks.
UL"

I have one suggestion....especially if you are bringing your wife along...be realistic about how much hiking you want to do in one day and still fish....especially above 10,000 feet. Treasure Lakes, Kirman, Parker, are all pretty good hikes. Kirman and Parker are best done with float tubes. Quite a drive from Rock Creek area to Saddlebag jumping off point. Doable, of course. Be realistic in evaluating your weakest member of the families stamina and level of fitness. Ask me how I know about taking my wife on a trip that was great when I did it with my fishing buddy but not so much when she hit the wall half way there. It was a long six hour drive down the hill the next day.

Ultralight
08-04-2014, 02:25 AM
LOL, thanks for the caution. Of course, a valid one. We do currently live at 5,000 feet and walk three or four times a week briskly so hopefully we are a bit more acclimatized. However, we will not do more than one area a day.

THanks!

UL

"Thanks.
UL"

I have one suggestion....especially if you are bringing your wife along...be realistic about how much hiking you want to do in one day and still fish....especially above 10,000 feet. Treasure Lakes, Kirman, Parker, are all pretty good hikes. Kirman and Parker are best done with float tubes. Quite a drive from Rock Creek area to Saddlebag jumping off point. Doable, of course. Be realistic in evaluating your weakest member of the families stamina and level of fitness. Ask me how I know about taking my wife on a trip that was great when I did it with my fishing buddy but not so much when she hit the wall half way there. It was a long six hour drive down the hill the next day.