PDA

View Full Version : 7/27 72nd Street Bay

Hirame
07-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Arrived at the destination at 530am A lot of people on the rocks when I first got here.

Decided to throw the Kroc that was already tied on and in within ten minutes got my first hit. A croaker, suprising. Five minutes and a phone call later I pull in a lizard fish.

With more people stacking up near the rocks, I moved down to where the birds were working, and I snag a baby halibut. Only about four inches, poor guy.

Ten minutes later I hook onto to something mighty healthy, but I forget to set the drag and it comes unbuttoned.

Now after a yellowfin or two later, a damn whale passes by ten yards away bumping into a long rodders line.

I walk back to the car and see the tackletruck, so I decide to purchase the surf pointer 115 in anchovy after the salesmen told me they were 13 bucks.

Head on the rocks this time and cast for fifteen, but getting no action I decide to move back down to where I caught the baby halibut, and sure enough I hook up on another halibut this time a little bigger. I'd say about 16-17 inches, sorry no pictures.

Having to leave to work soon, I throw a little longer, landing a mackerel from shore. The little bugger jumped and I got palm full of lc hooks. Head no choice but to rip his lip a little to get the hooks out. Thankfully there wasn't much blood, I apologized to the mackerel thanked the fishgods and went along my way.

Lots of really tiny Halibuts we're being caught btw

Came back at 330PM after work ended extremely early. Brought my cousin with me this time.

He chucked the lc110, I threw the sp 115 again. Beach was crowded once more not many anglers though, followed the birds away from the crowd again and was rewarded.

Hooked up on what u thought was a croaker, realized later on it was a wsb about 14 inches.

Another halibut at 15 on the sp115,

Finally left with my cousin beating the skunk with a 12 inch butt.

About an hour and a halfs work for the second sesh. About three for the first.

bachiboy
07-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Nice couple of sessions. Gotta watch out for those dang hooks...been there, done that. Hope you get some free time again soon so we can enjoy some more success stories!

Don

DockRat
07-29-2014, 06:47 PM
I walk back to the car and see the tackletruck, so I decide to purchase the surf pointer 115 in anchovy after the salesmen told me they were 13 bucks.

Tackle Truck ? What does this guys truck look like ? What does he stock ?
Thnx, DR

Hirame
07-29-2014, 11:57 PM
The cw tackle truck. Newer White van, I believe it's the Transit model, not sure what make. But a short bald guy w a beard (no offense) on the healthy side. He stocks bighammers, lb jigheads, and lc's mainly. Great prices due to the low overhead .

Wingnut
07-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Haven't tried the 115 LC, maybe soon...
Nice job on all the catches, I'm sure you'll nail a legal Halibut soon. :Wink:
Thanks for the report. :Cool: