PDA

View Full Version : Regulations - Float tubes, Kayak, Stand Up Boards in the Sierras...

Ultralight
07-28-2014, 02:51 PM
I see lots of float tubes in the Sierras in the various lakes.

What are the regulations? Can one simply plunk down in any of the lakes there in the Sierras without permit or paying fees? (i.e. PVR, Mosquito Flats lakes, Lake Mary etc.)

What about inflatable Kayaks and stand up boards?

Thanks!

UL

fishinone
07-28-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't know about all of the lakes but I haven't been charged for launching kayaks in Silver Lake, Gull Lake, Rock Creek lake Convict Lake or Bridgeport Lake or any other lake that I've launch at up there. Not even when we launched at a ramp.

Ultralight
07-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks. love to hear more comments.

UL

AngryAgent
07-29-2014, 05:45 PM
All I do is float tube up there and I have never been charged or heard of anyone getting charged unless you hit up a private pond like Hunewill Ranch. Just have your fishing license and your PFD and I believe you're good to go.

Signs are also posted everywhere so be sure to read them.

Viejo
07-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Another option you have would be to call the Forest you plan on fishing in and ask them about special regs.

Ultralight
07-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Viejo, by 'forest', I take it you mean Forest Ranger...? And is there a # handy that you know I can call?

Thanks,
UL

Viejo
07-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Viejo, by 'forest', I take it you mean Forest Ranger...? And is there a # handy that you know I can call?

Thanks,
UL

Google Inyo national forest....Mammoth ranger district. They should be able to give you accurate and current information

Nicelag
07-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Lake George in the Mammoth area is the only place I have been charged to tube ($5). I have asked those that work there and nobody knows why they just do.

shinbob
08-01-2014, 08:00 AM
The June Lake Marina charged me to launch my kayak from their launch ramp. Unfortunately there's not a lot of good public areas to park and launch, especially on that end of the lake. The Gull Lake marina lets you use their ramp for free.

Nicelag
08-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I have not been charged for launching my float tube in any of the June loop lakes. You can also launch the Virginia lakes, Mammoth Lakes (except lake George), Convict, Pleasant Valley Res, Rock Creek and all lakes in the Bishop Creek drainage area free of charge. Only listed lakes I have personally launched at and have knowledge of.

RiverWalker
09-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Many of the docks/launch ramp areas are privately owned so they have a right to charge a fee if you decided to use their ramp or dock. However, you do not have to pay to launch your Float tube/Kayak if you don't use their access point. I learned this specifically at Lake George. A DFG warden was hanging out with us in the parking lot while we were gearing up and told us to just launch next to the boat docks to avoid having to pay the $5 fee. I inquired a little further and he explained the rule.

Lake George in the Mammoth area is the only place I have been charged to tube ($5). I have asked those that work there and nobody knows why they just do.