PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek - East Fork Campground

ocpurp
07-28-2014, 02:01 PM
So we are 19 days away from our annual Sierra camping/fishing trip. We stay at East Fork campground on Rock Creek, fishing the stream as well as rock creek lake and a few surrounding lakes like Convict. This season I will finally head down to mosquito flats and hike into the backcountry to fish Mills.

Has anyone been up recently? I'm wondering about the mosquitos this season and of course the water level in rock creek. Any input would be appreciated as we leave on the 16th of August. Thanks in advance.

Viejo
07-28-2014, 04:12 PM
You will have a wonderful time in that canyon...no matter where you choose to fish. When head UP to the trail head at Mosquito Flats, leave early. The top parking lot fills up quickly, especially on weekends. There are overflow lots but they are a hike. Mosquitoes are always with you this time of year in the early morning and evening hours. Buddy just got back from that drainage and didn't say they were any worse then usual. Water levels in the upper Rock Creek Basin are slim, according to him. Fishing lakes might be a better way to go. No matter what, that canyon is one beautiful place.

retired96
07-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I was up there 2 weeks ago, had no problems with the flying critters and I found the creek from the lake down is running much better than I expected. One thing I did note is that DFW stocked the smallest sized fished I have ever seen them stock..

ocpurp
07-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks Viejo, I go up at least once a year to this particular area and the Mosquitos can be hit or miss. I've seen swarms and I've seen none at all. I prefer the streams really and generally the water has leveled out by now. Thanks for the input tho!

ocpurp
07-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks Retired96, you've answered my questions. Too bad about the tiny stockers! Did you catch a lot?

StumpFisher
07-28-2014, 06:16 PM
I'll be headed up with my two boys in a couple weeks as well. My 8 year old son wants to get a trifecta of rainbow, brown, and a brook all in one. What's the best chance, the creek or a lake? Thanks

retired96
07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks Retired96, you've answered my questions. Too bad about the tiny stockers! Did you catch a lot?

I did almost all of my fishing in the Upper Owens river, I did catch and release about 10 in the creek along Iris Meadows campground...

ocpurp
07-29-2014, 06:24 AM
StumpFisher, I've never caught any brooks on Rock Creek Lake but I've heard they are thick on the backcountry lakes. I've walked the creek up from East Fork Campground, past the lodge and the brooks are thick once you get out there. Never caught a brown on this creek but I've heard they are there and in Rock Creek Lake. From what I've read, brooks, browns and bows all on some of the backcountry lakes. My guess would be that this is your best choice.

Good luck and have fun!

StumpFisher
07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
StumpFisher, I've never caught any brooks on Rock Creek Lake but I've heard they are thick on the backcountry lakes. I've walked the creek up from East Fork Campground, past the lodge and the brooks are thick once you get out there. Never caught a brown on this creek but I've heard they are there and in Rock Creek Lake. From what I've read, brooks, browns and bows all on some of the backcountry lakes. My guess would be that this is your best choice.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! We will have fun trying at least!!