PDA

View Full Version : Islamorada Alligator

Serg
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Tried the alligator at the Bass Pro Shop restaurant (Islamorada). First time trying it and I gotta say it was pretty good. Even my 6 year old liked it. Wonder if any other place sells it?

etucker1959
07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Tried the alligator at the Bass Pro Shop restaurant (Islamorada). First time trying it and I gotta say it was pretty good. Even my 6 year old liked it. Wonder if any other place sells it?
Most people haven't eaten alligator before but it's a good critter to eat. Having hunted and killed my own alligators before I know a little bit about them. The best part of the alligator to eat is the tail. You just split the skin a part and you get a solid piece of white meat. It looks a lot like scallops to me. I too like the OP is wondering if any other place besides Bass Pro shops restaurant sells it.

fishinone
07-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Having hunted and killed my own alligators before I know a little bit about them.

Hunting alligator is easy! A few quick shots to the heart and the alligator is finished.

seal
07-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Knowing Etucker's stories I'd bet he'll say he killed it with a pocket knife.

DEVOREFLYER
07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Naw, frenchy aka etucker's weapon of choice is a .22 cal. You know the same high powered .22 cal that the 80 year old in Long Beach killed the tweaker with. It's the new assault weapon, now if I could only find .22 cal ammo.

etucker1959
07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Naw, frenchy aka etucker's weapon of choice is a .22 cal. You know the same high powered .22 cal that the 80 year old in Long Beach killed the tweaker with. It's the new assault weapon, now if I could only find .22 cal ammo.
That's the funny part, I did kill 3 of them with a 22 right behind the eyes!!!!!!!!

DEVOREFLYER
07-28-2014, 02:44 PM
That's the funny part, I did kill 3 of them with a 22 right behind the eyes!!!!!!!!

What not 5 quick shots to the heart. I am disappointed. Your a regular Swamp Guy a jack of all trades, well a jack anyways!! :Big Grin:

Lady Quagga
07-28-2014, 04:04 PM

The way you continue to bathe in others' ridicule of you is quite telling, isn't it etucker?

It's sad how many intelligent threads will be hijacked so people can belittle you, to the point that the original point of the thread is actually lost, and any intelligent posts are inherently lost with it.

Here we are debating gator meat, but making fun of etucker is still number one on people's list. Post on bud! You are the typical cannon fodder that people look to burn instead of dealing with the real topics at hand.

fishinone
07-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Choote im! Choote im!

etucker1959
07-28-2014, 05:05 PM
The way you continue to bathe in others' ridicule of you is quite telling, isn't it etucker?

It's sad how many intelligent threads will be hijacked so people can belittle you, to the point that the original point of the thread is actually lost, and any intelligent posts are inherently lost with it.

Here we are debating gator meat, but making fun of etucker is still number one on people's list. Post on bud! You are the typical cannon fodder that people look to burn instead of dealing with the real topics at hand.
That's funny coming from you. Of course I have fun with these guy's and so do you!!!!!! It wouldn't be any fun for anyone if everyone thought alike. If something bad should ever happen in the economy everyone here would blame Obama. There would be yep it's all his fault about 4 times and that would be the end of the thread!!!!! I'll at least play the devils advocate and give the arguments of the other side of the coin. I'm sure you noticed I also like to talk a lot about FISHING!!!!! Yea I play the smart arse a lot, but my comments are usually right on the money!!!!! I have a favorite quote from the movie ANIMAL HOUSE. When Dean Weber was about to expel all the Delta house members. He turned to flounder and said, "Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son." I feel I at least do my part around here, that some people had at least HEARD THE TRUTH!!!! If they choose not to believe it "SHAME ON THEM!!!!!!" I also understand why I have such a big target on back. What's that old expression, they can dish it out but they just can't take it!!!!! I've dished it out often enough, so when I make a mistake and they nail me on it. I just laugh with them, even though I really know they are laughing at me!!!!!!!!! Besides I know the real truth, they don't have or their candidates have the real answer's either!!!!!!

old pudd fisher
07-28-2014, 07:04 PM
It's all fun stuff and I sure like reading all of everyone's posts, I sure get a kick out of some of the stuff I read.

old pudd fisher
07-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Tried the alligator at the Bass Pro Shop restaurant (Islamorada). First time trying it and I gotta say it was pretty good. Even my 6 year old liked it. Wonder if any other place sells it? I have never tried alligator meat but ate rattle snake, sea turtle and bison in my day and a lot bugs when I rode a motorcycle. All were tasty except for the bugs.

DEVOREFLYER
07-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Had Alligator prepared a number of ways, the BBQ-ed Alligator ribs were the best of the bunch. I have had a fondness for different and exotic food my whole life and in my travels have tried and tasted many different things. Some I like quite well and others I can only say I tried it. A number of items in Asia that the identity was unknown (mystery meat). Nearly all of the hoofed animals in the USA both domestic and wild with Antelope my favorite followed by Elk, Moose, Bison, Lamb and Horse (very lean and sweet meat). Of the furry critters Squirrel is by far the best followed by Rabbit. Nutria beats out Possum and Raccoon and is a favorite of one of my past Cajun clients. Don't even ask me about seafood or birds as I seem to have liked everything I have tried. Actually I take that back as a number or Native Indian (Canada) and the Scandinavian fermented fish dishes are better served as chum than food for human consumption. Of the reptile side Iguana wins hand down and many less bones to deal with. USDA Prime beef dry aged a minimum of 30 days is as good as it gets when cooked charred rare (crusty exterior cool red interior).

old pudd fisher
07-28-2014, 09:17 PM
As far as meat in Asia I agree with ya yes (mystery meat) been there and ate it. Don't even want to know what it was over 40 years ago in a nam village meow or bark bark?

old pudd fisher
07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey DEVORE!! We bought that Rattle Snake meat at Crawford's in El Monte around 1954, in the fresh meat dept. I remember that and my dad just had to buy it.44676

Serg
07-29-2014, 06:52 AM
I have never tried alligator meat but ate rattle snake, sea turtle and bison in my day and a lot bugs when I rode a motorcycle. All were tasty except for the bugs.

I tried Sea Turtle (Caguama) soup about 20 years ago in Mazatlan. Best soup I ever had. Don't think they sell it any more.

seal
07-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Ok Queen if you insist on sticking with the subject.

Yes I've had alligator tail appetizers, several times, I loved um! Have a Cajun restaurant opening up in Hesperia believe it or not, hoping that they have gator tails on the menu, if not at least I'll hopefully be able to get a decent bowl of jambalaya.

DEVOREFLYER
07-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Ok Queen if you insist on sticking with the subject.

Yes I've had alligator tail appetizers, several times, I loved um! Have a Cajun restaurant opening up in Hesperia believe it or not, hoping that they have gator tails on the menu, if not at least I'll hopefully be able to get a decent bowl of jambalaya.

Duck gumbo for the win and Crawfish (pinch the tail and suck the head) if your a real Cajun food fan.

seal
07-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Duck gumbo for the win and Crawfish (pinch the tail and suck the head) if your a real Cajun food fan.

Anything spicy is a winner with me! Yes have had Crawfish many times even trapped them up in the Sierra's (Sotcher lake is loaded with them and decent size) and did a campsite boil. Lot's of work to prep um but well worth freaking delicious! Also love me an oyster po boy, did up Mari Gras once for a week, I am still praying for forgiveness.

DEVOREFLYER
07-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Crayfish Etouffee over dirty rice and washed down with Blackened Voodoo is my favorite after the raw oysters and Duck Gumbo for a starter.

smokehound
07-30-2014, 02:11 AM

Here we are debating gator meat, but making fun of etucker is still number one on people's list. Post on bud! You are the typical cannon fodder that people look to burn instead of dealing with the real topics at hand.:\ Um, okay.

I've had gator meat before, it's OKAY, can be pretty fibrous and tough if cooked wrong, though. The tail meat, while very tough, is also very fatty and flavorful.

fly addict
07-30-2014, 11:56 AM
I’ve tried gator meat; I didn’t find it as tasty as spotted owl, California condor, Dolphin, or Manatee. :EyePop: :LOL: