PDA

View Full Version : Half and Half Sunday

Bassfan
07-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Hit Castaic on Sunday and started the day trolling. As soon as the rigs were out I saw fish popping from the middle to the back of that cove.
Reeled in the rigs and headed there to try for some surface action.

They were randomly popping over a wide area from the shore to the middle of the cove. Got a couple hits and one small striper landed. Within about 20 minutes they were done so back out went the trolling rigs.
Went through a short streak of getting hit then losing the fish on the way in mostly due to poor driving creating slack.

Straightened out that problem and picked up 6 including two doubles. Biggest fish of the day was a 4 lb. caught as a double with a 2 lb.

It was about 8:00 and I had 5 nice fish in the cooler already so before long I went to drop some bait.

Things started slow with some bites on sardine that just pulled out the guts. The other rod had a fat juicy night crawler but I saw fish on the fish finder swim up to it and never bite. A couple weeks ago night crawlers were hot and lately they just won’t touch them.

At about 10:30 it went wide open on sardines. Couldn’t get the second rod baited and in the water before the first rod was getting hit. It went on like that for two hours with mostly smaller stripers but several nicer size ones mixed in. Several times both rods had fish on at the same time.

The fishfinder screen looked like an ad for Lowrance with fish all over it.

To eat lunch I tried putting just a head on one rod and a tail on the other but they were chewing everything. I think if I put a sign on my hook with the word “sardine” on it they would have bitten it!
By 12:30 it died down considerably.

Ended the day early with a limit of nice fish, half from trolling and half from bait.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/p846713/005_zps308e071f.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/p846713/media/005_zps308e071f.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/p846713/006_zps13d38f34.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/p846713/media/006_zps13d38f34.jpg.html)

trail blazer
07-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Wtg bassfan,,,,,,,,,,,,,niceeeeee

t/b

DMS
07-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Great Job! Nice seeing you today. Lulu wanted to go for bait and I stuck to trolling. I tried to explain why you don't leave biting fish to find other biting fish... LOL... Now she is saying "You See, You See!"
DMS

fishinone
07-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Nice catch Jim!

So let me see if I got this straight. You spent yesterday getting an air conditioner installed on your house, then spent today out in the sun and the heat. Lol

You're a fish killer!

TroutOnly
07-27-2014, 06:58 PM
WAY TO SLAY THEM JIM.............................bob.............

cutbait
07-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Sweet trip..

Unstoppable bites are always fun

arthurangler1
07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
nice fish!

Bassfan
07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Great Job! Nice seeing you today. Lulu wanted to go for bait and I stuck to trolling. I tried to explain why you don't leave biting fish to find other biting fish... LOL... Now she is saying "You See, You See!"
DMS

Good to see you guys back out there hitting those stripes. You should always listen to Lulu!

Nice catch Jim!

So let me see if I got this straight. You spent yesterday getting an air conditioner installed on your house, then spent today out in the sun and the heat. Lol

You're a fish killer!

So sorry I had to cancel Saturday but after having no AC for the hottest week of the year, I had to be home for the replacement install.
I will make it up to you.
AC never felt so good..

Wingnut
07-28-2014, 04:34 PM
So that was you... :Wink:
We were in the Mako parked next to you at the bait & wait stop.
We picked off a few on the troll in that cove when you came in behind us.
Got about 10 on the troll by 9:00am, then joined you later for the bait & wait game.
The bite was hot for us on Sardines and Nightcrawlers, too many dinks though. :mad:
We saw you at one point fighting fish on both rods with a sandwich in your mouth. :LOL:
We threw back countless schoolies, kept two limits and off the lake by 2:00pm, a decent day. :Big Grin:
Hope to see you out there again... :Cool:

TroutOnly
07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
jim you got to tell ron to fix his boat and quit being a boat whore or we will have to throw him out of the T-L-L-C...................LOL...............

Stumpknocker
07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Very nice limit...it's interesting how they decide that sardines taste good now, but not earlier...

FishingwithDave
07-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Jim, your killing it out there!

catchingsomefish
07-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Nice job Jim, I am glad you had better sucess than I did on Thursday! The only striper I saw this weekend was in the tank at Bass Pro Shops in Vegas, lol............Dave

Bassfan
07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
So that was you... :Wink:
We were in the Mako parked next to you at the bait & wait stop.
We picked off a few on the troll in that cove when you came in behind us.
We saw you at one point fighting fish on both rods with a sandwich in your mouth. :LOL:
Hope to see you out there again... :Cool:

Arthur, That's a nice boat you have.
I was trying hard not to get too close when you were trolling but at one point the shallows came up fast and I cut it closer than I wanted.
You must have had better worms if they were eating yours. I had the same container for the last 3 trips and they must be funky because I couldn't get a bite.
The sardines were irresistible for a while there making it really hard to have lunch but that's a good problem to have.
Next time I see you I'll know and say hello.

MikesOcean
07-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Great job out there Bassfan!!

Glad to hear there is some action cooking!!

It's a good thing when you can't eat your sandwich in peace.

I miss that problem. I guess I can't catch fish if

I don't go. Haha.

Good job!

CAPT'N
07-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Great job Jim, and you managed to pull some decent fish out of the pond as well

Capt'n