PDA

View Full Version : First Cuttssssssss

tacklejunkie
07-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Posting from iPhone so sorry in advance for all the typos etc.
Found a little river last weekend and decided to bust out the 5'3wt fly rod.
Damned if I barely have any flies left. Haven't been able to stop and tie some lately.
Started tooling around and managed to catch some little bitty troutcicles. Upon closer inspection I realize I've caught thousands of trout before (literally) and none of them had this red coloration to their throat.
I then realize I had just lande my first cutthroat trout! I then proceeded to land several more.
Didnt have my net with me and lost the biggest one I hooked, unfortunately. Also saw one about 12" shoot out from under a rock and nail my presentation and take it back under the rock with him, only to spit it right back out instantly. Smart little boogers!!

Will have a be to go back for Mack Daddy at a later time. Nice to get into my first accidental cutthroats, though. Great trip. Will have to do a full report later. Bandwidth witch is on my tail in the parking lot.
More pics later. This is Oregon BTW.

Please practice reasonable catch and release. :)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Mobile%20Uploads/24B73B5F-5457-4184-B7AC-4AA261812319_zpskyalcjao.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/tacklejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/24B73B5F-5457-4184-B7AC-4AA261812319_zpskyalcjao.jpg.html)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Mobile%20Uploads/3FAB681D-FD70-44CE-BF5E-2C3490342306_zps6qoewlsc.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/tacklejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3FAB681D-FD70-44CE-BF5E-2C3490342306_zps6qoewlsc.jpg.html)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Mobile%20Uploads/BBD97D34-A2CC-492A-9B06-9B036B7C89A9_zps8eb4dk5y.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/tacklejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BBD97D34-A2CC-492A-9B06-9B036B7C89A9_zps8eb4dk5y.jpg.html)

TUNAVIC
07-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Cool pics!

Cya Tuna Vic

matt duarte
08-11-2014, 11:18 PM
nice man! miss my fly rods

DarkShadow
08-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Looks of the Coastal variety, and not Lahontan, Westslope or Yellowstone Cutt.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/fsbdev2_021555.jpg

Nice catch!

City Dad
08-12-2014, 09:58 AM
nice goin' TJ. You are in the land of lands

Looks of the Coastal variety, and not Lahontan, Westslope or Yellowstone Cutt.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/fsbdev2_021555.jpg

Nice catch!

I kinda tripped out when I first learned that cutts are native to both sides of the Rockies. I couldn't imagine how a species of fish could cross the continental divide, then I learned from a biologist that the cutthroat species is actually older than present drainage systems. So, the species evolved and then geologic forces changed the course of their native streams, sending some to the Pacific side of the continent and some to the Gulf of Mexico. Ain't the Sasquatch's design grand?

DarkShadow
08-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Ain't the Sasquatch's design grand?

I'm debating going all Cutthroat out in my upcoming trip, and seeing if I can land the grand quinfecta while traversing 4 states, although I'll probably get eaten by a Grizzly in the process.

Yellowstone, Lahontan, Snake River Fine Spotted, Coastal and Westslope? You think I can pull it off before getting lost in the wild?

tacklejunkie
08-26-2014, 10:30 AM
After some of the stuff styler and I pulled off and my mt Whitney trip I wouldn't be surprised what you might be able to do, man! look forward to that report..

yes this river I caught these fish at is 25 miles from the tillamook bay. I'd imagine these could actually be native coastal offspring. Hard to say..

cant wait a it until I hook a phat salmon..

just tried to to fish the Tualatin river right now at the Tualatin community park for nada. See fish jumping but don't know what they are. Was hoping for some more smallmouth action. I see people trapping for craw dads there and they just had the crawfish festival a few weekends ago. I'd imagine it would be prime for bass to feast on all these crawdads. So many trees I lost four rigs inside of five minutes. Started fly lining weedless plastics and lost two more rigs. I took that as a point to give up until another day... Lol.

start a new job on the 2nd. Building palletizing robots. Will have money to get out and fish again but no time to go fishing. Arggg a fine balance it be.

DarkShadow
08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
After some of the stuff styler and I pulled off and my mt Whitney trip I wouldn't be surprised what you might be able to do, man! look forward to that report..

yes this river I caught these fish at is 25 miles from the tillamook bay. I'd imagine these could actually be native coastal offspring. Hard to say..

cant wait a it until I hook a phat salmon..

just tried to to fish the Tualatin river right now at the Tualatin community park for nada. See fish jumping but don't know what they are. Was hoping for some more smallmouth action. I see people trapping for craw dads there and they just had the crawfish festival a few weekends ago. I'd imagine it would be prime for bass to feast on all these crawdads. So many trees I lost four rigs inside of five minutes. Started fly lining weedless plastics and lost two more rigs. I took that as a point to give up until another day... Lol.

start a new job on the 2nd. Building palletizing robots. Will have money to get out and fish again but no time to go fishing. Arggg a fine balance it be.

Keep explorin' my man, and keep them trout trembling up there.

Where the heck are you anyway? I have peeps up in Corvalis, Beaverton, and of course, Eugene. I've never fished up there tho.

tacklejunkie
08-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Right now I'm between Beaverton, Tigard, Portland and Lake Oswego. Right on a small hill splitting all the said cities up.
Coming from LA area, Portland is small. You can drive across it from one end of e longest side to the other in 40 minutes. Los Angeles, by example, takes two hours to cross LA county in any direction. That not including riverslime and San berdoo area/inland empire with millions more people and acres. It's pretty small up here, I can make it anywhere around Portland and back in a day, up to and including crossing the Columbia over to Vancouver, Washington.. Where my first rental up here was.

Its a pretty cool, quiet and quaint little area up here and people insanely love to work long hours and days of overtime, which I'm still getting used to, but it has it's share of hicks and jerks with the rest of the better cities out there. I've been chased out of camping spots ten miles back into the woods by bands of hicks with 7 motor homes who wanted my camping spot over the other 300 spots that were in the entire state forest I was camped at.. Etc.
But it's worth it.

Hoping to find a new place with the new job and can finally settle in up here on my own without roommates and people ruining things for me. Job is in "Clackamas"... SE side of Portland. They split Portland up into five sides:
N, NE, NW, SE and SW Portland. I have been exploring SW and NW mostly myself, but will be forced to learn SE here shortly with the new job.

Gotta keep things interesting. This is definitely a change from spending 31 years growing up in Los Angeles.
cant wait for the clouds and rain to come back. It was 95* up here yesterday. They get a taste of all four seasons here. Was only a few months ago I got my California obtained low rider truck stuck in the snow.
Now I'm rocking the Tundra

im the blue dot on the side of the 5

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Angler%204-15-08/imagejpg1_zps342b556a.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Angler%204-15-08/imagejpg1_zpsfbb70cb3.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Angler%204-15-08/imagejpg3_zps74c59c22.jpg

trail blazer
08-27-2014, 07:33 AM
loving your recent Oregon posts T,J.

Thank you.

TRAIL BLAZER

DarkShadow
08-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Right now I'm between Beaverton, Tigard, Portland and Lake Oswego. Right on a small hill splitting all the said cities up.
Coming from LA area, Portland is small. You can drive across it from one end of e longest side to the other in 40 minutes. Los Angeles, by example, takes two hours to cross LA county in any direction. That not including riverslime and San berdoo area/inland empire with millions more people and acres. It's pretty small up here, I can make it anywhere around Portland and back in a day, up to and including crossing the Columbia over to Vancouver, Washington.. Where my first rental up here was.

Nice, plenty of water to fish, especially still water stuff. I've heard the Tualatin fishes well, as does the Williamette and Clackamas.

You'll have steelies, see run cutts, rainbows....jealous, man!

Its a pretty cool, quiet and quaint little area up here and people insanely love to work long hours and days of overtime, which I'm still getting used to, but it has it's share of hicks and jerks with the rest of the better cities out there. I've been chased out of camping spots ten miles back into the woods by bands of hicks with 7 motor homes...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3351722/banjo-o.gif

Hoping to find a new place with the new job and can finally settle in up here on my own without roommates and people ruining things for me. Job is in "Clackamas"... SE side of Portland. They split Portland up into five sides:
N, NE, NW, SE and SW Portland. I have been exploring SW and NW mostly myself, but will be forced to learn SE here shortly with the new job.

Keep us posted on the exploits. You'll be happy to know I'm still pulling fish outta your spots here in SoCal, and found a few others. :-D

tacklejunkie
08-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Rather have you in there than many others lol.
Just be sure to give dirty looks to all the people dropping their line, fishing oriented garbage and deep sea halibut rigs in the creeks for me. :Neutral: Oh yeah, the SGV13 artists spray painting the rocks too with gang signs.

Still learning all the waters up here. Will be for years, like I did in SoCal. But even slower now that I'm not a rich realtor. The Columbia is huge and as of yet intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get there. I want a monster sturgeon like Les Claypool sings about.

"The old diamondback sturgeon came swimming along, minding his business one day........"

DarkShadow
08-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Rather have you in there than many others lol.
Just be sure to give dirty looks to all the people dropping their line, fishing oriented garbage and deep sea halibut rigs in the creeks for me. :Neutral: Oh yeah, the SGV13 artists spray painting the rocks too with gang signs.

You know, I've strapped on the hiking boots and have found some stretches were I rarely even see any boot prints any more. That one 'gorge like' tributary of that one stream (you know, where you look up and you see huge granite boulders looking down on you) got hit hard with the drought. I'm hoping some of those redbandish looking fish survive the next few months until we hopefully get some rain/snow.

Still learning all the waters up here. Will be for years, like I did in SoCal. But even slower now that I'm not a rich realtor.

Hey, I've been staring at Google Earth for the past 4 months looking at spots I could potentially hike into inside YNP where I'm not gonna be bombarded by guys who look like they walked out of an Orvis catalog. I'm sure you'll be looking for squiggly blue lines on Google Earth here soon and have a full on assault.

The Columbia is huge and as of yet intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get there. I want a monster sturgeon like Les Claypool sings about.

"The old diamondback sturgeon came swimming along, minding his business one day........"

I hear they use whole rainbow trout on a big circle hook for those guys. It's like DVL back in the day!

City Dad
08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
My dad and step-mom live in Tualitin. They used to live up-stream at the junction of the Yakima and Columbia (there's lots of smallmouth around them parts... If you ever get the urge to head east into the desert, I know some places.) I've never fished much around Portland, but many of the smaller tributaries on the south side of the Columbia have reputations as smallmouth factories. you're a lucky Californian refugee

DarkShadow
08-29-2014, 01:45 PM
you're a lucky Californian refugee

yeah?!

He still can't catch a golden trout.

;-)

That God created.

tacklejunkie
08-31-2014, 09:53 AM
I've caught my share of goldens here and there. I think it's the chase..

...and as long as your creator god is the same as mine, it's all good. Otherwise I'll have to start a regime and declare jihad.

I hear people in CenCal are buying water in bottles now because their wells ran dry. Meanwhile it's cloudy and my rain finally came back to Portland.

It's like DVL back in the day!
I LOL'd.

Does DVL look like an empty swimming pool yet?