PDA

View Full Version : Tuna time!

Stumpknocker
07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
I got an invitation to chase tuna on my buddy Jim's boat out of Terminal Island...four of us left around 3:30 am, picked up some nice sardines and small anchovies for chum from the barge, and headed southeast to the 209 spot...started trolling...and trolling...and looking for paddies....got a nice bonito on the troll, but nothing else, and saw no paddies at all...we saw lots of fish on the meter, but no surface action....we finally decided to join the other boats in the area that were drifting bait...we started chumming and soon had boils around the boat, and soon after my sardine got bit...a while later a 20 lb. yellowfin came over the rail...I love the glowing blue and yellow on a live fish...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/yellow.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/yellow.jpg.html)
I retied, threw some chum, put out another sardine, and got bit immediately...at this point, Jim asked what kind of line I was using since I was the only one getting bit in boiling tuna...20 lb. fluoro...and they started digging in the tackle boxes....an eon later, this 30 lb. bluefin came aboard
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/blue.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/blue.jpg.html)
All three of the other guys started getting hooked up too...eventually the fish also stopped biting the lighter line, even though they were still boiling around the boat...that's when I went to the anchovy on 12 lb. fluoro leader on a spinning reel...you had to throw the bait in with a scoop of chum to get bit, and Jim and I got a couple more yellowfin doing that...then the fish stopped biting that as well, though they'd happily eat any chum we threw...eventually we headed for home, trolling and looking for paddies or boiling fish...saw some of both, but weren't able to get any other takers...final count was five yellowfin, one bluefin, and one bonito...not too bad for a day where they were so touchy.

jaggerbub
07-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Nice catch... Looks like you had the right stuff to get the fish on. Good to see blood on the deck!

Wingnut
07-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Way to find them and knowing how to take advantage of the finicky bite. :Thumbs Up:

TroutOnly
07-26-2014, 06:22 PM
nice tuna stumpknocker ,knowing to drop down on line size was smart on a baiting down deal.....................T/O..........

Stumpknocker
07-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Way to find them and knowing how to take advantage of the finicky bite. :Thumbs Up:
Thanks Wingnut...it was weird drifting and baitfishing in the open sea with no jig stop or kelp paddy, but it worked!

Stumpknocker
07-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Nice catch... Looks like you had the right stuff to get the fish on. Good to see blood on the deck!

Thanks jaggerbub...we used the hose a lot to keep us from slipping around in the stuff!

Stumpknocker
07-26-2014, 07:42 PM
nice tuna stumpknocker ,knowing to drop down on line size was smart on a baiting down deal.....................T/O..........

Thanks T/O...when they stopped biting the 12 lb. fluoro, I thought maybe I should have brought my 4 lb. striper rod! That could take a while...

DockRat
07-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Nice Tuna. Did you go out of Larsons ?
DR

Stumpknocker
07-27-2014, 04:37 AM
Nice Tuna. Did you go out of Larsons ?
DR

Yup...Jim's boat is berthed there.

DockRat
07-27-2014, 06:52 AM
Thats my hang out spot after work and keep my boat there.
DR

Stumpknocker
07-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Thats my hang out spot after work and keep my boat there.
DR
You're probably one of those guys I've seen in the covered patio area next to the gangway...it's a nice marina with a lot of good fishing nearby.

TUNAVIC
07-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Nice adjusting to the bite there,sounded like good times,thanks.

Cya Tuna Vic

evosamurai
07-27-2014, 10:35 AM
nice, trying to get the boat ready to get out there next weekend!

Stumpknocker
07-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice adjusting to the bite there,sounded like good times,thanks.

Cya Tuna Vic
Thanks TUNAVIC, good times indeed...it's great having tuna in local waters in July.

Stumpknocker
07-27-2014, 11:16 AM
nice, trying to get the boat ready to get out there next weekend!

Go get 'em evosamurai!

JL
07-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I talked to a lot of guys out there .....nothing saw fish but nothing bit.........maybe the line was the issue. we spent 9 hours trolling, drifting, soaking, chumming and nothing all day.

Glad to hear you found the answer for a lockjaw day out there
God Bless and Tight lines.

Tunaslam
07-28-2014, 08:59 AM
A good day of Tuna fishing, congrats!

Stumpknocker
07-28-2014, 09:04 AM
I talked to a lot of guys out there .....nothing saw fish but nothing bit.........maybe the line was the issue. we spent 9 hours trolling, drifting, soaking, chumming and nothing all day.

Glad to hear you found the answer for a lockjaw day out there
God Bless and Tight lines.
Thanks JL...I'd love to know why they eagerly hit 30 lb. mono one day and barely hit 12 lb. fluoro the next day...

Stumpknocker
07-28-2014, 09:05 AM
A good day of Tuna fishing, congrats!
Thanks Tunaslam...you had an even better one!