PDA

View Full Version : Newport Skiff session with "Slim"

ikeman
10-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I got a trip in with my Dad two weeks ago (will post with pics soon) to the Sierras and got out with my son this past Sunday. That has been the extent of fishing for me in the past two months. Starting a new business takes time from what I love, surfing and fishing! So much for the pity party story.

Started out with the usual plastics (I don't usually use live bait in the Harbor) but not much tide drift and lots of boat traffic. My "guide" took us out to the bait barge and we got a nice scoop of 'chovies.

Started the action with a surprise- an octopus liked my fish trap! My son Colin busts a cuda and then we get into some sandies and calicos. All in all a great few hours! Caught all our fish in about an hour and a half. All fish CP&R. No Spotties at all, the sand bass are in. All fish caught in the channel. My son likes to be the guide so we don't fish the slips when he"s on the helm.

Final count
dad - 1 octopussy
5 sandies
2 calicos

Colin - 1 baracuda
3 sandies
4 calicos

boxl0bster
10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
great report glad you guys got on some fish.

Fisher-of-Men
10-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Good job guys!

And you gotta love those Cammo Boxers too. :lol:

Fisher-of-Men

ikeman
10-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah, Fisher-of-Men, the way kids dress now a days....
He's a good boy so I tolerate. :!: :!: :!:

CASTAWAY
10-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Nice pics. :thumb:

Deceiver
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Nice job on those fish!

Question, where do you carry bait on those things? The old...uh, ancient :lol: ...boats that used to be at the Pavillion had "flood wells" in the center of the boat.

ikeman
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
They have newer boats as of a year or two ago and got rid of all the blue boats. You can choose the deluxe which has a live bait ell in the middle or the one we had was the basket off the rear type.
It's about 10.00 for the difference to have the live bait well which keeps the bait a little better and you don't have hungry sea lions trying to steal from the basket. Usually throw plastics so I didn't bother with the "deluxe"

synenergy52
10-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Question: When you caught the octopus, how did you remove the hook? Did you have trouble, was it grabbing you? nice pics!

Kalicos
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
how much does it cost to rent a skiff over at davies?

Deceiver
10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
They have newer boats as of a year or two ago and got rid of all the blue boats. You can choose the deluxe which has a live bait ell in the middle or the one we had was the basket off the rear type.
It's about 10.00 for the difference to have the live bait well which keeps the bait a little better and you don't have hungry sea lions trying to steal from the basket. Usually throw plastics so I didn't bother with the "deluxe"
Thanks for the info.

ikeman
10-05-2007, 12:13 PM
synenergy,
that guy got off before I needed to handle him, although I used to spear fish years ago and would occasionally get one. Once harmed, as you would imagine, they get aggressive. Keep your hand from under the mantle and you are alright. They do have a small beak that can induce a good bite, but I have never been bit :wink:
Other areas of the world have some purple or blue varieties that can be poisonous but I'm not sure about California waters. I 've seen them in the caribbean and Australia waters- pretty cool looking!

Troutman65
10-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Congrats on your catch.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Troutman65

SanDimasLMB
10-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Nice sandie :thumb: