PDA

View Full Version : wood report

sealclubber
07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Long time lurker...kinda glad forced to register now as maybe give me an incentive to post.
Fished the dam and any area accessable on foot.Throwing some proto swimbaits ive been tinkering with....Beautiful morning.nice and cool..fish were jumping..heard an eagle screech a few times.Then the sun started to come up....i realized that i must have been standing in a homeless camp......
For a few years now ive been hunting striper here and the duct..Well hesperia duct bored me to death and figured id give baitmaking a shot also...living on 173 is a dream come true when youve been fishing your whole life and the lake is so close....until today
I understand the staff is way underfunded and short on personel....as if they didnt have enough graffiti and maintenance to take care of..now they get to work in a homeless camp...
I know i know nice first post.....today i added a roll of trashbags to my tackle bag......Im asking others to do the same.....Its not just the dam..alot of these coves and hike in areas are completely thrashed also..makes no dam sense at all. Please encourage the asshats you see leaving crap everywhere to pick it up. I guess leading by example is sometimes the only way to get a point across to those who were not taught respect.
just food for thought after my weak report...

Baja1ab
07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
The wife and I were kid free so we went to Venice Beach this past Sunday to take in he freak show and ride bikes to SM pier and what not. So this family was completely ignoring the near one million "Bicycles Only" signage and walking on the bike trail, totally blocking it. As we approached a clear plastic container with pieces of watermelon rind fell out of their stroller. Their tiny daughter (maybe 2-3) instantly said "Uh oh, do we get it mommy?". She immediately relplied "no"....and they all continued walking.

That was one generation of dirtbag directly passing on their dirtbaggedness to the next, right in front of my eyes. So sad.

seal
07-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Sealclubber? I'm hoping you mean the ones that swim in the ocean.

I absolutely hate fishing this time of the year at Silverwood. It's taken me a while to be able to not let it all get to me because it's such a special lake when the insanity of Summer dies down.

Where is the "homeless camp"? They should be told at the lake about it. Message me if you wish.

HawgZWylde
07-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Lol, "sealclubber"? Hey seal, looks like you better be looking over your shoulder while fishing man. Keep that big swimbait rod locked and loaded!

Yup, people just flat out don't give a rat's axx anymore. Been watching it happen for decades now in the Sierras. There's a ninja or two who are leaving their trash on various spots around DVL as well. And hey, be cool to those "homeless" folks up there, those are just former middle classers and the camp is sure to grow at the rate things are going now...

seal
07-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Lol, "sealclubber"? Hey seal, looks like you better be looking over your shoulder while fishing man. Keep that big swimbait rod locked and loaded!

Yea I think I'm going to have to carry my deadtwitch rod with me at all times now, 15 oz's. of swimbait locked and loaded!

HawgZWylde
07-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Yea I think I'm going to have to carry my deadtwitch rod with me at all times now, 15 oz's. of swimbait locked and loaded!

Lol, not to mention the GIANT trebles on it...

sealclubber
07-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Haha Ya had a feeling name would come up....nickname from buddies..im half alaskan native....or inupiat..whatever...been reading seals posts for years and quite surprised i havent run into you yet.
Anyway didnt mean an actual homeless camp..looked like one....usually ill hike into my fav area but wanted to test a swimbait before i made the climb in. Had to be 20 dollars in recyclable material down there easy....just the lack of respect from people visiting. Got pretty chummy with some of the workers over the years and it sucks to even have to get approval to volunteer time and labor.Earth day seems to be the only time people cared up there and even then at most there were 20 volunteers.
i too have avoided going up in summer because of the trash and nonsense that goes on at night.Me and a buddy actually went and put a small fire out that two idiots left burning on a beach area..seriously pissed me off cuz i live right over by the dam.
Guess me and the kids will pick up trash before we fish from now on..it sucks but cant do squat about it...
Ready to start launching those dam zplugs at people...good idea by the way ...

Baja1ab
07-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Spent the day there today. A little fishing, but mostly a family water day. Saw what I think the OP is referring to on the hillsides near the inlet. Old tarps or something strewn between the trees - trash all around. It's a shame...:Crying:

seal
07-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Haha Ya had a feeling name would come up....nickname from buddies..im half alaskan native....or inupiat..whatever...been reading seals posts for years and quite surprised i havent run into you yet.
Anyway didnt mean an actual homeless camp..looked like one....usually ill hike into my fav area but wanted to test a swimbait before i made the climb in. Had to be 20 dollars in recyclable material down there easy....just the lack of respect from people visiting. Got pretty chummy with some of the workers over the years and it sucks to even have to get approval to volunteer time and labor.Earth day seems to be the only time people cared up there and even then at most there were 20 volunteers.
i too have avoided going up in summer because of the trash and nonsense that goes on at night.Me and a buddy actually went and put a small fire out that two idiots left burning on a beach area..seriously pissed me off cuz i live right over by the dam.
Guess me and the kids will pick up trash before we fish from now on..it sucks but cant do squat about it...

The Church of Ladder Day Saints do an annual pick up and also will do painting and other stuff once a year, very nice of them. Good friend is doing his best to clean up the joint (works there) but it's a helluva task for the workers since every week during the summer the trash is regenerated.

You probably have seen me many times but I don't look like a seal so I guess you won't know who I am or be clubbing me anytime soon.

Last night boils in the horn, still small schoolies but had a great night chasing them from shore. It's topwater time!!!!

Kyle B
07-24-2014, 10:48 AM
No respect. Me and my buddy picked up the trash in an area we fish and came back a few days later to find even more trash than before. However it came in handy when we realized we forgot stringers and improvised with some discarded fishing line

BassinPLS
07-25-2014, 06:16 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Rialto i used to ride my bicycle up to Lydle Creek and fish for the day. The little stream was beautiful and a lovely "get-away-place" to spend the day. The last time I went up there there were parents changing their kids diapers in the stream and you'd know it....they left the diapers in the creek! Trash was sturn all over and it depressed me so much I have never been back!

Thank you very much to all of you who do whatever you can to help pick up the discards of the mindless lowlifes who think, (or don't think at all), it's OK to leave they trash wherever they spent the day along the shore!

basssturd
07-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Last time I was there checking out all the coves it was pretty sad I spent more time picking up all the trash it kind of made me lose interest in fishing , there was soo much trash pretty much a buzz kill. I had a great idea why dont they put trash cans in every cove , that would fix the problem... Ya right they would steal all trash cans and leave more trash so they can get the family back in the astrovan

fishincouple
07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks sealclubber! and welcome! And a BIG THANKS to all of us that clean the Wood. I've recently added a roll of 30 gal trash bags to the boat. Clean every shore we hit with the boat and bring a full bag back to the dock at the end of the day...SHAME! To date this year, we've collected over $60 in recyclables (saving for trolling motor batteries). I just don't get it?? Pack it in, Pack it out. What's so hard about that?

rodless5
07-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Even if they don't steal the trash cans their to lazy to through there trash away. I would see dirty diapers everywhere I went. Used to fish Jenks lake at night till the rif raf messed it up. No more night fishing allowed. I don't go there anymore at all cause of all the thoughtless people.

b_bspk
07-31-2014, 03:27 AM

I feel your pain, man! I've also been fishing Silverwood heavy for around 8ish years. Up until 3 years ago, i would always fish from my boat during the day. But I started up my own business a few years ago and the only time i have had to fish the last three years are late at night.

Anyways, long story short.

My business partner and I have been night fishing at silverwood the last few years and it's been a nightmare, I've had my truck broken into at least 4 times, there are times where sketchy aXX people are walking around drunk, on drugs, or just looking like theyre up to no good... and where we don't feel safe for ourselves or our vehicles. But the past year we found a new spot near the water pumps, i can park my car where it's hidden and we can fish for strippers in peace without having to worry about anything getting broken into or anyone sneaking up behind us... And we absolutely slay them here! we use any kind of rattle trap. Fishing rattle traps work for us all over the lake, after cast we let sink for around 10 seconds and reel in with jerk/reel. Im sure you probably don't need advice on how to fish, but just thought i would share this tip that always works for us!. But we are ALWAYS Filling up our fish bags with trash when we come back, it's sickening.

A few weeks ago the game warden came up to us and said he was watching us with night vision and informed us we were trespassing where we were fishing; I then thought "maybe if i tell him why we came here to fish instead of the dam or the turnoffs right off the road, hewould understand"

I then told him about the break ins, run ins with sketchy people and how we didn't feel safe at all until we found this spot... he didn't care ( I now know it was against the law, didn't at the time) luckily he let us go with a warning. But my point is they need to allocate funds to push towards cleaning that lake up, it's soo damn beautiful but it's getting overran by jackasses going there, not giving a damn and leaving their trash everywhere. Now I no longer fish my favorite lake and it's a bummer.

fshnritchey
07-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Do you find that this is all types of people or just certain nationalities? In Malibu Creek State Park this goes on a lot. I caught some Hispanic families leaving ungodly amounts of trash as they were packing up and leaving the creek. I asked if any of them spoke English and they pointed to one of the individuals in their party, I told him this was unacceptable and would not tolerate the out of hand littering. He shared my feelings with the other people in his party and they gladly picked up all of their trash. He explained to me that where they come from littering is a regular thing. I have seen this group of people a few times since then and they always pack their trash out with them now. Sometimes it just takes a nice request and information that they are doing something wrong and people will make efforts to clean up after themselves.

seal
07-31-2014, 11:14 AM
A lot has changed at the Wood in the last few years. Not saying that the break in's and stuff didn't happen before but the amount of people fishing off limits areas, using every illegal fishing technique you can think of (I've seen it all!) and the amount of trophy fish being taken is taking a toll on the big fish fishery. I am not saying the big fish aren't there still and won't be there, you know stripey will survive, but I do believe the lake is taking a hit. If you've fished it as long as I have as hard as I have and have seen the changes you would agree.

But I just go with it knowing as soon as a good chunk of the big fish are gone and it slows down and DVL or other lakes pick back up the lake will be back to a little more peaceful place to fish. I'll keep at it cause I love the lake.

b_bspk
07-31-2014, 07:05 PM
A lot has changed at the Wood in the last few years. Not saying that the break in's and stuff didn't happen before but the amount of people fishing off limits areas, using every illegal fishing technique you can think of (I've seen it all!) and the amount of trophy fish being taken is taking a toll on the big fish fishery. I am not saying the big fish aren't there still and won't be there, you know stripey will survive, but I do believe the lake is taking a hit. If you've fished it as long as I have as hard as I have and have seen the changes you would agree.

But I just go with it knowing as soon as a good chunk of the big fish are gone and it slows down and DVL or other lakes pick back up the lake will be back to a little more peaceful place to fish. I'll keep at it cause I love the lake.

Agreed, i wasn't aware it was off limits, because i didn't see any signs and its always at night, but i always do C&R at Silverwood, just sucks having to worry about my safety from other people... i can deal with the wildlife, but the human interaction is just getting out of hand.

I aggree, i have seen some people using live bait or snagging.. it's a damn shame.

trail blazer
07-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Sealclubber? I'm hoping you mean the ones that swim in the ocean.

I absolutely hate fishing this time of the year at Silverwood. It's taken me a while to be able to not let it all get to me because it's such a special lake when the insanity of Summer dies down.

Where is the "homeless camp"? They should be told at the lake about it. Message me if you wish.

lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,I found it laughably ironic myself SEAL,,,,,,,,,

But anyway wtg on the cleanup scbr,

T/B

edward
08-01-2014, 09:18 PM
I have been observing this conversation over the past few days and would like to add my two cents on a few of the topics being discussed. First off and most improtantly, thanks to all whom pick up other peoples trash at the "WOOD". The east side of the lake (towards the Dam) actually it's the north east side of the lake is hit the hardest by the disrespectful individuals who leave the trash behind. Secondly, I too believe that the fish have taken a hit also due to improper ways/styles of capturing ( I wouldn't refer to some of these barbaric methods of take as catching) lot's of quality sized fish out of this special lake. Now for my closing statement... FISHING AT NIGHT IS THERAPUTIC AND ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I LOVE THIS LAKE SO MUCH!!!

sealclubber
08-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Oh ya nightfishing up there is the best..love it...
been throwin punkers like crazy last few...
word of caution though..our resident mt lion is lurking the dam area...He took both our goats and 4 30 lb plus turkeys over the span of 6 months...hes pretty big and not too worried about being around humans....last time i saw him he just lazily walked off....kinda cool though....also took a few heifers down at los flores =)....

gridjockey
08-02-2014, 11:21 AM
this reminds me of the one time camping trip with the little ones there. my three year old daughter saying mommy daddy look at the ground squirrels. well those where not ground squirrels but very large rats. one of the worst state parks i have ever been too. this was before the recession and the state had plenty of money. told the park wranger about the rats nest in the camp ground and they were not concerned.

seal
08-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Funny but rats in the wild are just wild animals. Really don't think there's much they can do. If they trap them they risk catching wildlife, if they bait them they risk killing wild life.

The rangers do a helluva job with what they have to work with. The problems there are human related not animal related.

gridjockey
08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
perhaps you dont understand that these rats were within 5 ft of the campground space that we were assigned.if you have little ones you would be concerned. yes this was a human issue because of the fact that these rats were there for the trash left behind by campers just throwing discarded food and what not into the surrounding buishes.

edward
08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Mersch......

seal
08-06-2014, 12:32 PM
perhaps you dont understand that these rats were within 5 ft of the campground space that we were assigned.if you have little ones you would be concerned. yes this was a human issue because of the fact that these rats were there for the trash left behind by campers just throwing discarded food and what not into the surrounding buishes.

I stay in the campgrounds occasionally. My suggestion would be stay away from the sites with rock walls around them, that is where the rats live.

It is definitely not the nicest campground, state needs to invest more money and stop raising the rates. I think they are what $45.00 now, ridiculous!!!! If you go to Dogwood campground near Arrowhead, a national not state campground it is extremely nice and well maintained. Don't know where our dollars are going, actually I do but that belongs in a political discussion.