PDA

View Full Version : School me on enduros...

Skyler
07-22-2014, 10:14 AM
So, I recently got a huge promotion, and pondered what would be the most frivolous and irresponsible purchase I can make with my newly acquired funds . I've decided that to be properly irresponsible, it needs to be something that can kill me. So I've settled on a dual sport motorcycle. Anybody have any tips or experience they'd like to share?

seal
07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
When riding offroad helmets are for wimps. Make sure and wear protective clothing, jean shorts are the definitive choice along with a light long sleeve tshirt, gotta protect those arms. As far as foot gear wearing flip flops just looks cool and keep your feet cool when riding.

Stinkbait
07-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey man. Don't get the simple air cooled single four stroke like the DR or XR 400. Not really enough cajones for highway traveling. You want the XR 650 R with the enduro kit. Lights plates blinkers etc....With the R you get a modern motor and radiators. If you don't want the displacement get a 450 thumper with the kit. Just don't get the air cooled models.

Also if you get the faster dirt versions with enduro kit you don't get all that extra metal=weight i.e. tank.
You have to make the decision of dirt to highway use. More gear more highway more displacement. If you plan on taking a little rip trip from your house right up the mtn onto dirt ASAP, less displacement/smaller/light and nimble.

I know I know people swear by the DR and XR air cooled singles, just not my cup of tea. I'm over 200 lbs.

Lastly, there is a cult following behind the Kawi KLR 650 for long distance enduro travel.

Skyler
07-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Was thinking something in the 250-350 class. I want it to be light and low enough to manhandle on single tracks, and beat up enough so that I won't mind dropping it or sliding it under a locked gate, lol. So I'm looking at used bikes. I'm limiting myself to two grand. Long range freeway travel isn't really a concern. I'd mainly be using it around town and to connect trails in the mountains and desert.

HawgZWylde
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Was thinking something in the 250-350 class. I want it to be light and low enough to manhandle on single tracks, and beat up enough so that I won't mind dropping it or sliding it under a locked gate, lol. So I'm looking at used bikes. I'm limiting myself to two grand. Long range freeway travel isn't really a concern. I'd mainly be using it around town and to connect trails in the mountains and desert.

Then go with a Katoom...

Skyler
07-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Then go with a Katoom...

Finding a KTM in my price range is gonna prove quite problematic. I'm currently looking at the KLR 250, DR 300/350, Honda XR and CRF series, and maybe the WR250 if I can find one cheap enough. I've also seen a few older Honda models that appeal to me. Namely the XL's from the mid/late '80's.

Stinkbait
07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Can't go wrong with those picks, exactly what you want. If you are looking at those others, seriously look at the XR 400. They have a huge fan base too. It is air cooled but plenty for what you want/need. Indestructible and very reliable. No radiators to break when you dumb it. Could get a nice XR for your price range.

Those WRs are rad too. You get fast little thumper, radiators and five valve head. That would be fun! Probably quicker than the XR 400.

So you got a budget and want a smaller displacement bike, just keep in mind power and quickness is safety on the street.

HawgZWylde
07-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Finding a KTM in my price range is gonna prove quite problematic. I'm currently looking at the KLR 250, DR 300/350, Honda XR and CRF series, and maybe the WR250 if I can find one cheap enough. I've also seen a few older Honda models that appeal to me. Namely the XL's from the mid/late '80's.

Lol, I was wishfully thinking for you. They're sweet bikes. Speaking of the eighties and WR's, I bought an '89 YZWR 250. It was the first year of production for that model. The only difference between the YZ and the WR that year was the wide ratio gearing. Absolutely loved that bike in the desert. It had the 2 stroke motor from hell in it and with that wide ratio gearing made for many a white knuckle rides, lol. Had it for ten years then sold it to my son's uncle when I inherited my riding partners '98 KX 250. His uncle completely restored that bike to showroom condition with after market bennies included and it just sits in his home in his bike collection. A lot of guys back then converted them to "around town and get the hell out of dodge" street legal dual sports...

HawgZWylde
07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Can't go wrong with those picks, exactly what you want. If you are looking at those others, seriously look at the XR 400. They have a huge fan base too. It is air cooled but plenty for what you want/need. Indestructible and very reliable. No radiators to break when you dumb it. Could get a nice XR for your price range.

Those WRs are rad too. You get fast little thumper, radiators and five valve head. That would be fun! Probably quicker than the XR 400.

So you got a budget and want a smaller displacement bike, just keep in mind power and quickness is safety on the street.

Scott Summers ruled the off road/enduro world for nearly a decade on those XR's...

Stinkbait
07-22-2014, 09:58 PM
....and from your day too, Roseller tore it up on those Kawi 300 thumpers.

Stinkbait
07-23-2014, 12:58 PM
To be clear, my recommendation was for the more modern WR 250F.

HawgZWylde
07-23-2014, 02:19 PM
....and from your day too, Roseller tore it up on those Kawi 300 thumpers.

Lol, uh oh, I've been dated. Yup, Larry Roseller was another champ on a thumper...

Stinkbait
07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Before Gopros and helmet cams, he dropped a vid cam on his helmet and did a ride through the IE on all his local only trails which are most likely highly illegal now. The film is called Ride with Roseller. Check it out. The guy made everything look easy. Road gaps, just horsing around, playing actually.....

Skyler
07-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Before Gopros and helmet cams, he dropped a vid cam on his helmet and did a ride through the IE on all his local only trails which are most likely highly illegal now. The film is called Ride with Roseller. Check it out. The guy made everything look easy. Road gaps, just horsing around, playing actually.....

If you wanna see a modern version of that, still riding trails of questionable legality, check out BakerXDerek on YouTube. He does a lot of stuff in the washes and access trails in and around San Bernardino on his DR200.

Skyler
08-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Well, I bought a bike. It's a 1990 Honda nx250. 7500 miles, great condition. 260 pounds, 26 horsepower, 32" seat height, water cooled six speed, and capable of 90 mph. Picking it up Friday, and taking my MSF course this weekend.

Stinkbait
08-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Nice. What the hell is an NX?

Skyler
08-14-2014, 07:50 AM
It's a dual sport model that honda only released for 3 years in the US, but has been in continued production overseas. Unlike the typical dirt bike look, it had a full fairing. The suspension is on the soft side, but can be remedied with a shock swap and stiffer fork springs. The bike I'm buying has already had the suspension upgraded. They look like this:

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/honda/1988/13142_0_1_2_nx%20250_Mr.%20G.jpg

DEVOREFLYER
08-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Very nice Skyler, is your new nickname gonna be "Eat My Dust" now??????

Stinkbait
08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Like a smaller alpina.

Skyler
08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Very nice Skyler, is your new nickname gonna be "Eat My Dust" now??????

No, it's gonna be "Don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die!!!"

DEVOREFLYER
08-14-2014, 08:11 PM
No, it's gonna be "Don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die!!!"

Just take it easy and grow into it.

DockRat
08-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Have a 1982 Honda XL250. Bought it around 1998 when in Brawley. Sat on the side of my house here for the last 12 years, flats, rust ext. Pulled it out a year ago and changed fluids, rebuilt the card, 1 tire, batt, seat cover. Runs like a champ still. That street legal enduro has never failed. 3 years in the desert and always fired first kick. Honda kicks butt.
DR

Skyler
08-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Just take it easy and grow into it.

Indeed. Just spent the last two days sweating bullets on hot asphalt. Took the MSF Rider Course. Two days of maneuvering a little Honda CRF supermoto along serpentines and around cones. Learned a lot, and passed my skills evaluation. Just need to wait for the certificate in the mail and I can get my M1 endorsement. Right now the bike is striped naked and parked in my dining room, lol. I'm going over it and tightening bolts, adjusting levers to fit me, changing fluids, and prepping the fairings for a coat of red paint. Life is good...

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Indeed. Just spent the last two days sweating bullets on hot asphalt. Took the MSF Rider Course. Two days of maneuvering a little Honda CRF supermoto along serpentines and around cones. Learned a lot, and passed my skills evaluation. Just need to wait for the certificate in the mail and I can get my M1 endorsement. Right now the bike is striped naked and parked in my dining room, lol. I'm going over it and tightening bolts, adjusting levers to fit me, changing fluids, and prepping the fairings for a coat of red paint. Life is good...

Take it easy and enjoy the h*ll out of it. It is going to open new places and adventures you only dreamed about in the past. Hunting and fishing in virgin territory is an eye opener.

smokehound
08-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Always pretend you're playing excitebike whilst offroading.

Scott Summers ruled the off road/enduro world for nearly a decade on those XR's...Until his horrific accident triggered his latent abilities, killing several fellow cyclists nearby.