PDA

View Full Version : Wide Open Striper, Night Fishing with Capt'n 7/19/2014

fishinone
07-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Capt'n invited me to fish with him at the Castaic Night Fishing on Saturday.

I got reports of good bites from Bassfan and Striper Mike all day while I puttered with projects at home but later in the day the news was that the fish had shown up and wanted to play.

It was absolutely beautiful out when we got in line around 5:45. We were the second boat in line and the guys ahead of us were planning to bass fish.

Everyone in line was ready to go long before we were allowed in. It looked like some kind of group pacing therapy.

Fishin4Runner (Chris) made his way down from the back of the line and said hello. Nice to see you again F4R. Chris was planning to troll. I've never tried trolling in the dark. I hope he did well.

Capt'n and I went straight for the latest honey hole and set up in a hurry. The fish were there in numbers as we set up but appeared in great numbers as soon as we got set up. It took a few minutes for us to get our first hits when we put the baits (sardine chunks) out. Capt'n's first fish was a keeper. Mine was a baby, I sent it to get it's mom again (wonder if it was the same one).

After that the fish finder appeared to be in simulator mode for the rest of the night. We had fish piled on the bottom under the boat 5 ft deep and above them in a layer from 10 to 25 feet there was bait and striper almost constantly.

Soon the bites were hard to keep up with. Scott (Capt'n) noted that we really weren't fishing with 2 poles each because we couldn't keep them in the water. We bailed fish after fish sorting a few nicer ones from the multitude along the way. the only time our rods sat without being hit was when our bait was stolen.

One fish got Capt'n tangled in the drop light and Capt'n's fishing pole snapped on the hook set. He recovered quickly, the pole is under warranty. Replacing it should be a snap:Razz:!

The dink slay continued as we sorted just a few larger ones from them.

Then I got hit on the pole in the holder while I was playing a fish. I grabbed the pole in the holder, set the hook and threw it back into the holder. At first I thought that I had missed the fish since it just sat there, then the rod tip bent and pulled down into the water as I was playing the fish on the other pole. That's when the rod butt started swinging up out of the holder. I dove for the pole and missed! I tried to tangle the line that I was playing the other fish on, around the sinking pole and missed! I watched as one of my hot sticks sank in the glow of the drop light, out of sight.

Man was I bummed! I don't think that Cabela's is going to warrant one lost in the lake!

Of coarse the problem was operator error but I was a little hard to convince of that at first. :Crying:

I landed the fish that I was playing, grabbed a big Rattle Trap tied it onto the remaining pole and tried to jig up my lost pole. After a few minutes of trying with no luck I switched the lure out to a Cicada. That's a sheet metal blade bait that sinks faster and might be easier to keep right on bottom.

When I had tried for a while and was about to give up. The lure got hit a couple feet off of bottom. I could feel the fish but it wasn't quite right. It felt mushy. I landed the fish but it wasn't on my lure. It was on the line tangled in my lure! I grabbed the 6 lb. line and pulled my lost pole gently up to the boat. Unbelievable! Awesome! Wow!

The slay continued. Scott and I landed fish after fish and untied knot after knot.

Then Scott said there's water coming in the back, my bilge pump isn't working! He opened the access hatch for the bilge and water poured into the bilge though the scuppers on the transom. He replaced the access hatch. Clearly, we couldn't try to fix the pump while we were on the water.

We pulled anchor and headed for the ramp. I think it was about Midnight.

We had caught 50 fish, if not more. 10 were keepers.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Night%20Fishing%207-19-2014/20140719_2354431_zps8336c6b2.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Night%20Fishing%207-19-2014/20140719_2354431_zps8336c6b2.jpg.html)
Here's a dead well shot. There are a couple more in there somewhere.

Thanks for inviting me for the most entertaining night fishing trip that I can remember Scott. It was a great time!

Stumpknocker
07-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Awesome report! You know things are going good when you get your overboard rod back in the middle of a nonstop bite!

CAPT'N
07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Ron,

It was really a great evening on the water, whats left of it anyway. Felt really bad about your rod mishap. How funny that as I was telling you of a similar experience, and subsequent rod recovery at Pyramid, the same thing happened to you.

The bite truly was wide open, and I was having trouble getting two rods in the water simultaneously, a real "problem" to have :-). Some of our line tangles were quite amusing in retrospect, but very frustrating at night.

Thanks again for joining me, and always know you are welcome on my boat...................

Capt'n

Bassfan
07-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Great job getting the rod back and hitting the big numbers in the dark. Never tried the night fishing thing but it sounds like fun..and no sunscreen!

fishinone
07-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Awesome report! You know things are going good when you get your overboard rod back in the middle of a nonstop bite!

Thanks, Getting the rod back improved my evening significantly.

Ron,

It was really a great evening on the water, whats left of it anyway. Felt really bad about your rod mishap. How funny that as I was telling you of a similar experience, and subsequent rod recovery at Pyramid, the same thing happened to you.

The bite truly was wide open, and I was having trouble getting two rods in the water simultaneously, a real "problem" to have :-). Some of our line tangles were quite amusing in retrospect, but very frustrating at night.

Thanks again for joining me, and always know you are welcome on my boat...................

Capt'n

And vice versa! I have to fix my boat!

BTW You made a good call on getting the bait out away from the light. Your fly line got bigger a fish and I got a bigger one from the bottom by throwing a short distance and letting it sink to bottom.

Great job getting the rod back and hitting the big numbers in the dark. Never tried the night fishing thing but it sounds like fun..and no sunscreen!

Thanks Jim,

Even more important when things are going that fast is, no Bimini top.

You would have enjoyed that bite. Every time I put the rod down to let the bait sink instead of feeling it down, a fish swam off with it. My sinker would be on bottom but the fish would be cruising around up near the light. I would have to reel 10 or 20 ft of slack out of my line before setting the hook.

basshole1
07-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a killer session. You are slay master sir!! In regards to night fishing, do they announce the dates on their website? How do we get more info...sounds like fun.

fishinone
07-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a killer session. You are slay master sir!! In regards to night fishing, do they announce the dates on their website? How do we get more info...sounds like fun.

The web-site says call for info.

Moonlight Fishing Looking for a unique fishing experience? From May to September, the upper lake main launch ramp hosts our “Moonlight Fishing” events from sunset to 2:00 AM (please call for specific dates). Participants are allowed to fish from boats and shoreline.

Here's a link. click here (http://castaiclake.com/fishing.html)

I'll find out when the next one is and start a thread.

trail blazer
07-21-2014, 03:22 PM
wow you guys tore m up,,,wtg,,,,,

here,s the link,,,,,,,,,

looks like the next 1 is 8/1h

ttp://www.castaiclake.com/calendar.html

http://www.castaiclake.com/calendar.html

fishinone
07-21-2014, 03:28 PM
wow you guys tore m up,,,wtg,,,,,

here,s the link,,,,,,,,,

looks like the next 1 is 8/1h

ttp://www.castaiclake.com/calendar.html

http://www.castaiclake.com/calendar.html

Thanks TrailBlazer!

Here's the info.

Moonlight FishingWhenSat, August 2, 8pm – Sun, August 3, 2am
WhereCastaic Lake Recreation Area, Main Ramp, 32132 Castaic Lake Drive, Castaic, CA 91384 (map (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Castaic%20Lake%20Recreation%20Area%2C%20Main%20R amp%2C%2032132%20Castaic%20Lake%20Drive%2C%20Casta ic%2C%20CA%2091384))
Description - Lifeguards will perform safety inspections - Everyone is required to have a glow stick (bring your own or purchase one at the event) - All boats must be off the water & out of the park by 2:00am - No launching after 10:00pm - Speed limit 5mph. No exceptions. - All boats must be tagged/banded, or will need to be inspected for invasive species. Boats must be 100% dry and completely clean in order to pass inspection. Admission: $6 per person + all vehicle entrance fees and launch fees apply ($11 per vehicle/$13 per boat or annual permit)

It was like a fire drill. I never ate my sandwich. Capt'n actually took his bait out of the water to eat.

ZipperWurm
07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
sounds like it was a blast! im gonna try to attend the next one...

basshole1
07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks...much appreciated!!

TroutOnly
07-22-2014, 07:17 AM
way to slay ron and scott , I always did good with a flylined crawler under the light .did the threadfin shad show up on the lights...................bob.........

fishinone
07-22-2014, 09:42 AM
way to slay ron and scott , I always did good with a flylined crawler under the light .did the threadfin shad show up on the lights...................bob.........

Thanks Bob,

We had lots of other minnows but I didn't see the threadfin.

I like to watch the threadfin circle the light when they come. In North Carolina, I've had them circling so thick that we would just put our hands in the water and they would swim right up into them. I've only ever seen a few circle in Castaic.

Scott, you were by the light did you see shad?

BALLERONBUDGET
07-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Moonlight Fishing from boat is almost a guaranteed catch cuz the guys hv their fav spots , fish finders etc......For the shore guys a different story hence few or no reports. Went 3 summers in a row and with every bait possible.. About 2 fish for 100guys out there.. I esp like the day fisherman that hide when they supposed to be kickd out so night event can start.. While everyone is parked up on hill and pay entrance they walk toward car 1/2 way then go bk to their spot!! Unfair advantage????. Not hating.. But y'all know who u are....

fishinone
07-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Moonlight Fishing from boat is almost a guaranteed catch cuz the guys hv their fav spots , fish finders etc......For the shore guys a different story hence few or no reports. Went 3 summers in a row and with every bait possible.. About 2 fish for 100guys out there.. I esp like the day fisherman that hide when they supposed to be kickd out so night event can start.. While everyone is parked up on hill and pay entrance they walk toward car 1/2 way then go bk to their spot!! Unfair advantage????. Not hating.. But y'all know who u are....

LOL! Have we exercised and unfair advantage over shore fishermen?

Seriously, night fishing at Castaic, even from a boat, is anything but a slam dunk. I've been about six times and 3 were skunks.

BALLERONBUDGET
07-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Unfair advantage meaning meaning ur 10th or so in line.. car park or launch ur boat , walk to end of dam and 50 guys are still there from day shift! Boaters supposed to be off h20 by 730 are still pulling a skier In or may pretend they hv engine probs to stay on water then head back to hotspot....

TroutOnly
07-22-2014, 05:33 PM
ron I have to confess, me and hiro used to have the unfair advantage back when I first did the night fishing and I showed up with the bait lights dropped both down and hogged all the nice fish ,until the rest of the fleet finally caught on and got lights ,then the effect got wrecked, because it spreads the bait out too much............i'm going to see in a couple weeks but I think I will fish the other side of the lake and hope for the shads to showup..................T/O..............

MikesOcean
07-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Nice Slay fellas.

Glad to hear they were biting.

Been to 3 night events and got skunked
All 3 times.

Great to hear you had a good time.

CAPT'N
07-23-2014, 07:48 AM
I have had amazing moonlight events , and have been skunked. First event this year fished with Khahn, and we had 1 bite for the entire night. However there were fish everywhere, just didn't want to play. A few years back fished moonlight same time of year with Cowpaddy, Fishyboy and myself had 8 fish over 4 lbs and all of us caught limits, so you just never know....

No threadfin uncle bob, but lots of life around the light...........

Utopia was really wide open:Wink:

Capt'n

fishinone
07-23-2014, 10:27 AM
ron I have to confess, me and hiro used to have the unfair advantage back when I first did the night fishing and I showed up with the bait lights dropped both down and hogged all the nice fish ,until the rest of the fleet finally caught on and got lights ,then the effect got wrecked, because it spreads the bait out too much............i'm going to see in a couple weeks but I think I will fish the other side of the lake and hope for the shads to showup..................T/O..............

Scott had an unfair advantage last Saturday! He had me with him! LOL

When did they start the Moonlight Fishing.

Nice Slay fellas.

Glad to hear they were biting.

Been to 3 night events and got skunked
All 3 times.

Great to hear you had a good time.

I've only been on a wide open slay this one time. Another time I watched Capt'n and KPN, slay fish after fish while we caught just a few near them.

I have had amazing moonlight events , and have been skunked. First event this year fished with Khahn, and we had 1 bite for the entire night. However there were fish everywhere, just didn't want to play. A few years back fished moonlight same time of year with Cowpaddy, Fishyboy and myself had 8 fish over 4 lbs and all of us caught limits, so you just never know....

No threadfin uncle bob, but lots of life around the light...........

Utopia was really wide open:Wink:

Capt'n

Was Dry Gulch a Utopia too?