PDA

View Full Version : First time on Silverwood next week - Advice?

Baja1ab
07-20-2014, 09:03 PM
I, the fam and a few friends will be meeting at Silverwood this coming Wednesday. I'll be heading up early to fish and then the rest of the crew, boats and jet skis will be heading up a little later in the day for some water fun. I'll have a limited time to fish so I want to make the best of it.

Albeit I'm still a novice in comparison to many on here, I'd say I at least have an idea of what I'm doing when it comes to LMB. I have literally no experience fishing for stripers. I have been reading the content in his forum and others and I think I have the cut bait thing - at least concept, equipment and bait - down. I also have swim baits ranging from Big Hammers to realistic trout type and some other stuff.

Given the limited time I have to dedicate to fishing this day (maybe 3-4hrs) I'm hoping to get some direction from those of you that frequent this lake. Should I just launch and bee line it for the inlet or can I spare some time to poke around Miller, etc for some LMB and potential stripers? I guess what I'm more or less wondering is will I be wasting optimum striper bite time first thing by eventually making my way over to the inlet? What would you do?

Thanks in advance! :Thumbs Up:

Baja1ab
07-21-2014, 11:56 AM

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Silverwood can be tough fishing this time of the year. A little late for Largemouth Bass as they are deep and a little early for Striper boils. The big Stripers love Trout and it can be killer after a Trout stocking. Striper can be caught at the inlet on bait and wait (mostly schoolies and dinks) trolling will catch larger Stripers and an occasional Bass. Be warned that the lake is full of underwater stuff that will eat your trolled gear. Around 11:00 the lake lice (jet skies) and water skiers will be out and the wind also comes up around that time, sometimes the wind can be strong.

Baja1ab
07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks Devoreflyer. Good to know about the trolling there. Like I said, I have the basic operational piece understood as far as the stripers go - with much learning to do I'm sure. Like anything, the rest will have to come with time and I look forward to that learning curve - like timing of day, year, depths, etc. so I appreciate the insight. I'm going to have my 6yo son w me and I want to put him on some fish so dinks will be ok by me. Thanks again!

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2014, 01:22 PM
The cove to the right of the marina can often be a good area for pan fish for keeping the kids happy and catfish are abundant in the lake too. A lot of trees/brush and abandoned anchor lines are the trolling hazards to catch your rigs on.

JAG107
07-21-2014, 07:18 PM
If you have a leadcore setup, look into getting a bag of zoom flukes and rig them to scrounger jigheads, and troll them at 2-3 colors, or take them to the inlet and jig them for some striper action. The bite dies down quick for me usually, but from 6-11 it's a pretty consistent bite. If you'd prefer to stink like chovies, go to the inlet and toss some chunks.

Baja1ab
07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks again guys. Do you either of you recall the approximate depth at the inlet?

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks again guys. Do you either of you recall the approximate depth at the inlet?

If memory serves me right I want to say 150+ feet.

seal
07-22-2014, 10:03 AM
I kind of take this time of the year off. The wind has been vicious this summer so your best bet is mornings. Bring earplugs some of the "music" blaring this time of the year will make your ears cry.

Baja1ab
07-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks again for the insight, guys. I'm more or less piggybacking an already planned family/boating type trip (and of course I cannot just go and not fish :Big Grin:) so I am going to try and do the best with what's biting. I have sardines and a bunch of different plastics (flukes included) and jigs so I'm gonna give 'em hell. Hopefully, being that it's mid-week, there won't be too many crazies out on the water.

I'll try to post the results. :Thumbs Up: