PDA

View Full Version : SUP Fishing...anyone experienced?

basshole1
07-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Hey people, I'm looking to purchase a stand up paddle board and convert it to a fishing platform. A few questions, has anybody ever tried this form of fishing? Are they stable? Where would I be able to launch from? Of course it would all depend on conditions but how far could I safely fish from shore? I know BOTE and some other companies sell paddle boards specifically designed for fishing but prices are steep and I'm not sure I want to invest so much into something that I've never done. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

BALLERONBUDGET
07-20-2014, 04:51 PM
not sure about sup fishing but I guess it's possible if calm enuff.... I know a few guys with cobra fish n dives 4sale... 1 registered as boat and has trolling motor. Other is man powered with side pontoons for stability.. Both eagle rock area la.....I've seen yaks and even canoes flip so the more stable U are the better and less chance losing ur gear or hiving problems tryn flip back over.....btw met friend of urs Doug @local pond. Has my # if u guys need more info or fish sometime........

basshole1
07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Hey balleronbudget, my buddy also informed me of your meeting at the pond. Appreciate the invite, we will definitely take you up on that offer. I've seen several videos on SUP fishing and it looks pretty exciting. The close proximity to the water could create an intense situation. I guess kayak fishing would give the opportunity or a similar sensation. I definitely wouldn't go out too far. I was thinking mostly bays, calm water and enclosed areas. Thanks for the response.

squirrellsgnwild
08-10-2014, 05:15 AM
Just got back from catalina and tried a sup. Yes I managed to stay up but no way would I ever take my 150$ fishing rig on one.

basshole1
08-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Just got back from catalina and tried a sup. Yes I managed to stay up but no way would I ever take my 150$ fishing rig on one.

I agree. I'll definitely be utilizing cheaper setups if I ever go through with this. I think only taking equipment, if lost, I wouldn't think twice about, would be the way to go.

tamddo714
08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
From what i've observed it isn't easy. You'll always be drifting, worrying about falling over, losing your rig & oncoming boats the whole time. Im sure it exciting but to me not worth the effort. I rather get a kayak, which i have and that already has its difficulties at times. GL

efishent
08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
I've been fishing off the 9 ft long board and SUP should be a lot easier and more stable. It is great way to get out there but watch for wave size and period, both going in and out and avoid rocky shoreline. You will get wet, so I wear wet suit and have everything set in fanny pack within instant access (license, pre-set jigs, pre-cut squid , etc) - this minimizes your time fixing stuff up and looking down while bobbing on the waves. Good catching and easy access anywhere. Issues: 1) need to take care of dipped reel and tackle after salt water bath. 2) no room for extra stuff- I generally release fish and have no camera along (hence, no reports) 3) taking leash off helps getting through heavy kelp but will set you board free when coming in if you don't time it right (will eventually happen) - so hold on to your rod and fish (I had it on string a couple times) and pick up your board on SANDY shore then. What else: Sitting on hard board for 2-3 h of action is fine but don't make it an overnighter. I move around a lot and change position, just like with surfing but on slow or flat days. The bonus: you can see all the marine life right under/around you and if visibility is good - snorkel and see all the action. You will feel more confident when someone else is there and you can coordinate. For example, my friend spear-fishes and put me 'on spots', while using my board as needed.

basshole1
08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
I've been fishing off the 9 ft long board and SUP should be a lot easier and more stable. It is great way to get out there but watch for wave size and period, both going in and out and avoid rocky shoreline. You will get wet, so I wear wet suit and have everything set in fanny pack within instant access (license, pre-set jigs, pre-cut squid , etc) - this minimizes your time fixing stuff up and looking down while bobbing on the waves. Good catching and easy access anywhere. Issues: 1) need to take care of dipped reel and tackle after salt water bath. 2) no room for extra stuff- I generally release fish and have no camera along (hence, no reports) 3) taking leash off helps getting through heavy kelp but will set you board free when coming in if you don't time it right (will eventually happen) - so hold on to your rod and fish (I had it on string a couple times) and pick up your board on SANDY shore then. What else: Sitting on hard board for 2-3 h of action is fine but don't make it an overnighter. I move around a lot and change position, just like with surfing but on slow or flat days. The bonus: you can see all the marine life right under/around you and if visibility is good - snorkel and see all the action. You will feel more confident when someone else is there and you can coordinate. For example, my friend spear-fishes and put me 'on spots', while using my board as needed.

Hey efishent, thanks for the tips. I'll take all this info and store it in memory. WOW...fishing off the long board eh, sounds way cool. What's the farthest you've gone out? In open water...I would be fishing mostly kelp beds which are relatively close to shore. Palos Verdes and Malibu is what I'm thinking. I think a wet suit is a great idea. I know local waters can get pretty chilly, What thickness would you recommend? Thanks again....much appreciated.

efishent
08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv-NEEHmOo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDPiDUGviI

on long-board fishing, there are plenty on SUP fishing too. You get as far out as conditions and your energy levels allow. Ys near shore kelp beds are a good target, every time you will feel more comfortable.

basshole1
08-11-2014, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv-NEEHmOo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDPiDUGviI

on long-board fishing, there are plenty on SUP fishing too. You get as far out as conditions and your energy levels allow. Ys near shore kelp beds are a good target, every time you will feel more comfortable.

Hell yeah, nice videos!! Those lings are awesome....looks like a blast. Exactly the kind of action I was looking for. I'll definitely be picking one up now. Good looking out my friend. :Thumbs Up: