PDA

View Full Version : DPH fishing locations and small boat launch

fish ful
07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Hi Guys, I want to go fish Dana point harbor. I have a 10' pond prowler with 55# trolling motor etc. Were can I launch it? do you think it would be o.k. or safe in the harbor? Can I fish off it at night too? I would probably be alone. don't have friends who fish like I do.

Any information would be great.

thanks!!

vanillagurilla
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
It's really busy down there with boats right now and dph is a small harbor. Might be a better option to hit nph.

fish ful
07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Yea. not sure if I will get swamped by the bigger boats or waves at NPH. I can launch for $20 at the Dunes but I don't know any other places. Boat is in the back of my truck so no trailer. Was thinking of just launching from a beach but not sure if that's o.k. or not.

Guess I just need to go and see.

Webfoot
07-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Vanilla-G is right about DPH. Very congested with private launching now due to the inshore bite going off. The dunes has a 50.00 launch fee and is the only one I know of in NPH. May want to launch up north in Long Beach for 12.00 bucks. Good luck to you!

fish ful
07-18-2014, 02:05 PM
wow...they went up at the Dunes. Now i'm thinking I will just drag the boat down the beach for free.

Webfoot
07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
There's a public dock with a small sandy beach just above Davy's Locker. Don't know if you can launch there. Locals get very territorial and vocal. May be able to launch across the bay at the coast guard station?

Rooster
07-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Vanilla-G is right about DPH. Very congested with private launching now due to the inshore bite going off. The dunes has a 50.00 launch fee and is the only one I know of in NPH. May want to launch up north in Long Beach for 12.00 bucks. Good luck to you!

The launch fee is $15-20 depending on the day you go at the Dunes. $50 is if they launch you and you use there service.

Webfoot
07-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up rooster!

Rooster
07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Also, any boat with mechanical propulsion must be registered if it is being operated in waters of the State of California.
If the boat is used exclusively on private ponds, then it does not need to be registered.
Meaning if you use a trolling motor & don't have CF numbers on that boat plan on getting a ticket or warning.
There brutal down there.... Sorry to burst your bubble.... I just don't want to see you get a fat ticket. Seen it many many times there.

fish ful
07-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Hi rooster...My boat is registered and has cf number and is up to date with quagga sticker etc. but thanks for the info.!!!

titos334
07-19-2014, 03:02 PM
DPH would work just fine. Fishing in the harbor during peak hours would be tough due to traffic but at night or in the mornings would be fine. You'd have to launch at the launch ramp.

JL
07-21-2014, 05:27 PM
If your boat is registered and you have our CF numbers on the boat.........then I disagree with those who say it is tough to get into dana point harbor. Sure there are busy times especially early am between 6 and 8 am but you can still get into a very nice launch ramp and get into the water. It costs $10.00 and there are plenty of places to fish in this medium sized harbor. Also lately with the super quiet water in the morning you could fish outside the harbor from 6 am - about 12 noon when some winds come up.
About Newport..........big harbor but you are correct.........getting costly to launch in Newport.

There is also long beach harbor which has a very large inner water area. Go to Davys launch $10.00 and again when winds are down big place for you to fish.

Hope this helps. God Bless Tight Lines.

youronecastshort
07-21-2014, 07:12 PM
your fine I fish dana on a float tube yes it gets busy out there but a live game of frogger isn't to bad just always watch over your shoulder you could come across the ahole boater but some can be real nice (bait&beer hand outs lol)