PDA

View Full Version : deep stuff

JDS13
07-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Took my pops out fishing Tuesday, started out with some top water no love, as the sun got up put the bemni up and started trolling. No love around Sail cove/trench so off to the island, on the way there we see a large bass floating so I motor over and its a large largie thats still alive, get up on it and its got a bluegill lodged in its mouth, I bring it on board, I get the fish out of its mouth, and release it. Then put the bass in the water, try to revive but it wont go down because its swim bladder is totally full. So I get the needle fizz it then it swims away, hopefully it survives. It was about 8 lbs. Most of the fish were in 30 to 35ft. We ended up with about 20 fish total, on the shad baits. Dad had a blast, Good times. Water was 80 degrees, moderate wind in the afternoon and just trolled my little hand painted JDS-13's. Fishing is pretty decent, just got to experiment with different stuff until you find the right bait, if you meter fish and you put your bait down there and they dont react try somthing else, darker shad colors in the morning and lighter colors when the sun gets bright.

Tight lines

BassinPLS
07-17-2014, 08:02 AM
JDS13,

A couple of years ago I was fishing the buoy line and saw the seagulls diving on something out about 400 feet away. Curiosity got the best of me so I motored out to see what had the birds interests. It was a LMB +/- 5 lbs with a bluegill lodged, vertically, in it's mouth. Both the bass and the bluegill were still alive. I ended up having to pull some of the spines out of the bluegills dorsal fin to get the bluegill out; but the bass swam away to "fight another day"!

TED MILLS
07-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Nice going, helping a friend in need
Ted

Brent
07-18-2014, 11:23 AM
JDS13,

A couple of years ago I was fishing the buoy line and saw the seagulls diving on something out about 400 feet away. Curiosity got the best of me so I motored out to see what had the birds interests. It was a LMB +/- 5 lbs with a bluegill lodged, vertically, in it's mouth. Both the bass and the bluegill were still alive. I ended up having to pull some of the spines out of the bluegills dorsal fin to get the bluegill out; but the bass swam away to "fight another day"!

We had the exact same thing happen last summer near the buoy line.
Time to get some bluegill swimbaits.

Brent