PDA

View Full Version : Kern River

icekrusher04
07-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Heading up to the Kern River next week for 5 days above Kernville. NEVER fished that river before but am hoping my old go to salmon eggs and mepps/roostertails/kastmasters will do the trick on the UPPER river. I know you catch trout there but heard they also catch bass and cats on the LOWER river. Any ideas about baits and areas to try while I am there? Any info appreciated!
Have a great week guys!

ela
07-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Get some crickets and crawlers.

dday07
07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Actually..im more interested in the lower portion of the river...we go to Hart Park once a year and wonder if the smallies and largies are that far down river?...love to know.

trail blazer
07-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Actually..im more interested in the lower portion of the river...we go to Hart Park once a year and wonder if the smallies and largies are that far down river?...love to know.

Here,s the deal with that section,,,,,,,,smally,s and lgs are everywhere in that section of the rvr,,,,,,grubs , d shopped or Carolina rig,d 4 and 6inch plastic worms are good HOWEVER my go to bait on the lower river from Rancheria rd to hart park is the 3 inch black and silver floating rapala fished on 4lb line,,NOT THE X RAP,,,,,,,that rig is smallmouth candy in the lower section,,,,,Iv caught smallys to 5lbs down here between Rancheria and lake ming,,,,,,but there everywhere,,,,,Good luck let us know how you do.

TRAIL BLAZER

Viejo
07-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Heading up to the Kern River next week for 5 days above Kernville. NEVER fished that river before but am hoping my old go to salmon eggs and mepps/roostertails/kastmasters will do the trick on the UPPER river. I know you catch trout there but heard they also catch bass and cats on the LOWER river. Any ideas about baits and areas to try while I am there? Any info appreciated!
Have a great week guys!

CFS in the Kern is low for this time of year and day time temps have been average 106. Water temps are very warm all day long and approaching bath tub temps by noon each day. Be prepared for that. You already know that the river can be very slippery to wade. Also remember, the water above the Johnsondale Bridges is zero take....fly only.

DarkShadow
07-17-2014, 02:21 PM
the water above the Johnsondale Bridges is zero take....fly only.

Considering how many PowerBait™ containers i see in that stretch, it makes me weep for the future.

Then again, the amount of C&R threads I see when users are using live bait or PowerBait™ and releasing trout successfully should alleviate those worries, right Viejo?

dday07
07-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks so much! To think i have been wasting my time on the lake.
Here,s the deal with that section,,,,,,,,smally,s and lgs are everywhere in that section of the rvr,,,,,,grubs , d shopped or Carolina rig,d 4 and 6inch plastic worms are good HOWEVER my go to bait on the lower river from Rancheria rd to hart park is the 3 inch black and silver floating rapala fished on 4lb line,,NOT THE X RAP,,,,,,,that rig is smallmouth candy in the lower section,,,,,Iv caught smallys to 5lbs down here between Rancheria and lake ming,,,,,,but there everywhere,,,,,Good luck let us know how you do.

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
07-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Mudslide, low flows, pools suck, fish die off

Stay clear of lower. I was just there yesterday coming home from Izzy

trail blazer
07-17-2014, 03:40 PM
of course I meant drop shotted,,lol,,,,,

My standard way to fish the lower lower was to raft or tube from Rancheria to hart park,,,,,,access from the bank was limited so this work,d great for me,,,,,,,however,,,if your NOT very knowledgable on the art of tubing a river DONT do it,,,,,if you park at the Rancheria park lot where all the tubers put in and work that 1/2 mile down and the 1/2 mile up you should do good,,,,,you,l have to get wet to present your lure correctly,,,,,,,but that will be o/k because its H O T ! hot here in BAKO,,,,

T/B

Tom
10-09-2014, 09:28 PM
i know this is way late for Posting But the correct info should be Used
The section mentioned is Artificial lures only
this means spinners..spoons plastic worms..any lure that is artificial and Flies may even be used on a spinning rod
The barbs on all lures must be Pinched down or use a barbless hook.
it is not a FLY only stream
w ran into this at Crowley where i use a 9ft spinning rod to fish nymphs and a well intention fly fishermen starting tell me how i was breaking the law using a lure...i could have used a Kastmaster or Rooster tail.....it is Artificial only
No scents allowed or Power baits type lures including power worms
I no longer use a fly rod do to my disability but still fish a fly most of the time on a spinning rod

kern River Wild trout section Artificials Only....Not Flies only

and fishing is really good right now on the upper Kern in the section mentioned Above
Tom