PDA

View Full Version : Mexico shutting down BFT fishing!?!?

Fish Dog
07-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Just got info from Ed Zieralski U-T San Diego sportswriter that Mexico is shutting down bluefin tuna fishing for the rest of the year. Ed says his info is from the Sportfishing Assoc. Of Calif. No BFT allowed, any "incidental" catch must be released. Excuse my French but WTF???

MikesOcean
07-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Because???

Do you have a link that supports this?? WTF X2

bobabocker
07-14-2014, 08:03 PM
guy who runs socal saltys had the same info. not sure what they reasoning is but his really blows... Looks like the boats are now going out to the 1.5-2 day range and giving mexico the big bird.

Cadillyak
07-14-2014, 08:08 PM
http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/detail_sportfishing.php?id=642215

DockRat
07-15-2014, 05:50 AM
This sucks. Going thursday on a buddies boat. Down at the tuna pens, 425 area has been on fire. Tuna caught in US waters the last few days.
You can see the offshore border line at http://www.tempbreak.com
DR

jaggerbub
07-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Not good news at all...

simijab
07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
I feel like we arent seeing the entire letter. Havent found a link that doesnt have the paper half cut off

MikesOcean
07-15-2014, 09:02 AM
All you have to do is check the counts for San Diego reports this evening
And you will see how serious it is.

If the boats report bluefin all released that will be your answer.

If the boats stay in American waters to keep BF
then they jeopardize having a better day not
Being in mexi waters.

Just my 2 cents

bobabocker
07-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Just got clarification that the ban only effects commercial fishing boats as they have met their annual 5,000 tonnes quota. The ban currently does not effect the sport boat fleet as far as the interpretation goes.

MikesOcean
07-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Just got clarification that the ban only effects commercial fishing boats as they have met their annual 5,000 tonnes quota. The ban currently does not effect the sport boat fleet as far as the interpretation goes.

According to San Diego fleets, they are now in compliance with the new rules and all bluefin in mexi waters must be released unless otherwise informed.

bachiboy
07-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Hold fast...it's unconfirmed. Just checked in with some contacts and negotiations are going on now, so it's still unclear as to what is decided.

...unless you heard differently from a very reliable source boba. I checked in with Frank LoPreste's office.

bobabocker
07-15-2014, 03:26 PM
According to San Diego fleets, they are now in compliance with the new rules and all bluefin in mexi waters must be released unless otherwise informed.

Looks like i was misinformed =[

HeadShakes
07-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Any new news on this today?

twin22s
07-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I talked to some friends of mine who were planning a trip down south soon, they told me that they are still fishing in mexico for yellowfin, and yellowtail but will be releasing any bluefin caught. I wonder if any boats are going to try to find some bluefin on this side of the boarder? I'd hate to fish somewhere knowing i couldn't keep the best fish out there.

Fish Dog
07-16-2014, 11:26 PM
The way BFT bleed, especially if caught on the troll with those big jig hooks, I'd be surprised if a lot of them will survive C&R. I've caught some in the past that took so long to bring in they were dead when they hit the deck.

Frequent Flyer
07-17-2014, 10:56 AM
As of right now the bam effects sportboats and the commercial fleet. No captain would risk his livelihood and boat by keeping bluefin.