PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear 7/13

jowo
07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Rented a pontoon and took the parents and brother out. Not very experienced at trolling for trout, had 2 leadcore rigs trolling small 2" cranks, and 2 bass rods with 3/4 ounce 'trolling weights'. Trolled over to the dam, anchored up and fished bait for an hour, then trolled most of the way back for nothing. Saw a couple boats stopped landing fish, all were using some kind of flasher rig with multiple large blades. Then we went to the standby shore spot to see if any carp or trout were around, skunked for another hour before giving up. First skunk ever at Big Bear! Usually catch at least a few carp...

blackberg
07-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Needle fish is what they use up there for trolling,
-bb

GdHkSet1
07-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Hey you'll get em next time some days you have them dialed in some days are a skunk. How many colors of LC did you have out trolling?
I like using the small seps flasher's with the Colorado blades some flourocarbon leader and the dreaded crawler up there. Experiment with different depths
and do slow S turns on your pontoon next time out don't give up the troll.

jowo
07-21-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the tips! I was out about 2 colors on the leadcore. My buddy has a ton of success with some kind of blade rig with a nightcrawler, have to learn how he does that.

Doghunter
07-21-2014, 06:50 PM
I was up there Saturday trolling 3 colors of lead core with Thomas Buoyants, Needle Fish, and Rapalas. We brought home 3 and lost a couple. It was great weather with a lot of clouds and got rain. Trolled around for about 5 hours before it got pretty choppy, there were also a lot of people wake boarding, and riding PWC's. It's amazing how people lose their brains once they get on a SeaDo.

Blair