PDA

View Full Version : Bean Fest, N. OC 7/12

JP
07-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Family commitments kept me off the water for this mornings high tide. Fortunately family visiting from out of town wanted to go to the beach this afternoon. We arrived at our chosen spot at 1:30 PM. The tide was falling and the beach was already crowded.

I managed to make crabs in no time and went on the hunt for Corbs. It didn't take long before I spotted my first candidate, then another, and another. They were all over the place, unfortunately so were the beach goers, swimmers, surfers, and kids. I finally found a stretch of beach holding fish without all of the above mentioned people. It took awhile, but I coxed the first one into biting, and it was game on! A few minutes later I landed a 19" Corb. My kids and their cousins were there to witness the whole thing.

About a half hour later I'm standing talking with my daughter and I point out a fish to her. A quick flip of the rod and the crab is in the zone and I hooked up. She was as excited as I was and I let her play the fish for awhile until it started running down the beach towards a large group. I landed that fish and it went 21" Picture to come. A big crowd gathered and I got the usual questions. I released the fish, but it wasn't doing so well, so I grabbed it and spent some time reviving it, before it swam off.

Now a couple of teenage boys were asking me about fishing and walking with me as I was stalking my next victim. I spotted another fish and cast out to it, it turned and inhaled my crab. I few minutes later Corb #3 was on the beach a beautiful 22" model. I released this one quickly, so no pictures. Out of the blue, people are asking if they can keep it and eat it? What's up folks, don't you know you have to catch your own fish.

By now it's getting late and the family is ready to leave, so I start making my way back towards the car. As I'm almost there, all the kids in the water are screaming Shark! Shark! That's no Shark, it's another Fat Corb crusing the shallows. I pin on a crab, wait for the optimum moment and fling my crab towards it. It hits the water, the fish heads right for it and picks it up. #4 is on, but not for long, and I soon had a hook flying my direction. Such is fishing.

It was time to go, so we loaded up and clan and headed home. All in all it was a great afternoon spent stalking Corbs. :D

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w403/jeffweight/IMAG0684_zpskc6mfsg5.jpg

Stumpknocker
07-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Great job in crowded conditions...you make it sound so easy...

bachiboy
07-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Hard to frown going three for four...I'll take that batting average any day.:Wink: Nice going out there. Seems like a good time to go stalking sliders.

Congrats!
Don

Jaysuuun
07-14-2014, 02:47 AM
Nice beans! I never knew til recently why Corbs are so sought after by some surf fisherman. They put up a helluva fight! Even more so on light tackle! Just last week I scared 4 beans trudging through the surf. I thought I was imagining things when I heard something splash behind me and feeling things bump into my feet

DockRat
07-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Nice Corbina. Guys don't know what they are missing out on.
DR

basshole1
07-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Nice beans man....must have been super fun. They look so aerodynamic.