PDA

View Full Version : Skinner being, well, Skinner 7/9

P.A.W.
07-09-2014, 05:16 PM
This lake is so frustrating sometimes. I guess many are. Just when I had the patterns down, things change. Most years by now the weed patties and moss are taking over the coves, making way for a nice frog bite. Not only are there many fewer weeds this year but the water is still gin clear in a lot of areas. Bass are still in the just-post-spawn mode too. Saw a bunch of males guarding clouds of fry.

Stripers are deep, unless you count the ones boiling in random areas. They are (have been) on a stink bait bite, but I got a few at the inlet on lures in front of the guys soaking bait for nada. WTH?

I throw soft plastics for nada, then a friend from the lake idled up and said "Here, try one of these buzz baits I made". Three casts later and a nice 3 pounder. Great! We're on to something...... casted that puppy for a few hours for nada. Where's the pattern? I suck I guess.

Just a puzzle to solve, but it sure seems like there are no rules. At least I caught some fish.

Harley51
07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
People always ask what I fish for and I tell them what ever gets on the hook. Last trip it was chicken livers that did the trick. See you next week P.A.W. If that don't work I'll break out the U rigs and then what ever else might work.

elbowlayer
07-09-2014, 07:01 PM
This lake is so frustrating sometimes. I guess many are. Just when I had the patterns down, things change. Most years by now the weed patties and moss are taking over the coves, making way for a nice frog bite. Not only are there many fewer weeds this year but the water is still gin clear in a lot of areas. Bass are still in the just-post-spawn mode too. Saw a bunch of males guarding clouds of fry.

Stripers are deep, unless you count the ones boiling in random areas. They are (have been) on a stink bait bite, but I got a few at the inlet on lures in front of the guys soaking bait for nada. WTH?

I throw soft plastics for nada, then a friend from the lake idled up and said "Here, try one of these buzz baits I made". Three casts later and a nice 3 pounder. Great! We're on to something...... casted that puppy for a few hours for nada. Where's the pattern? I suck I guess.

Just a puzzle to solve, but it sure seems like there are no rules. At least I caught some fish.

Thanks for the report PAW. I wasent able to fish last weekend, and im ready to hit it up this weekend. Ill be there fri and probably sat too. Ill try to figure out a pattern early, the heat kills me in the kayak. See you out on the water

Askwhy
07-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Pat i didn't get a chance to talk to you on the way out , I was going to see if you would lend me a can of skunk remover the bait bite did not work today.
Maybe it really is fished out , I have never seen so many boats out during the week not much caught today except a lot of sunburns .

MikesOcean
07-09-2014, 09:43 PM

It is funny that your saying this!

This time last year it seemed like the bite was on wherever I went.

This year it seems like the bite has not turned on yet wherever I have been going. Just scratching fish here and there maybe.

I definitely feel your frustration. I think we just need to give it at least another 2-3 more weeks.

Maybe the shad are spawning late this year? Dunno?

Maybe El Niņo? I dunno? I do know I have to blame it on something. Haha

Regardless, great job scratching a few fish!

I do have to say, if I did not have a 2 stroke I would be hitting skinner often. Seems like a
Dynamite lake.

Mike

TroutOnly
07-10-2014, 07:25 AM
skinner sucks because the main bouyline cuts off access to all that deep water area of the lake ,that's where mr stripey is.....................T/O............

HawgZWylde
07-10-2014, 08:46 AM
skinner sucks because the main bouyline cuts off access to all that deep water area of the lake ,that's where mr stripey is.....................T/O............

Exactly Bob, that's where the LMB are as well. When that lake shuts down, it's freaking down. Sometimes you can meter all day and never see a single mark cause they're all hangin by the dam and all the plumbing beyond that buoy line...

Pete Marino
07-10-2014, 12:16 PM
A bunch of us are camping there this weekend we're gonna try to crack the code and figure them out!!!

Pete

HawgZWylde
07-10-2014, 12:50 PM
A bunch of us are camping there this weekend we're gonna try to crack the code and figure them out!!!

Pete

Lol, I smell a "punch'n party" in the works...

Pete Marino
07-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Punch as in Gin and Juice..lol...okay more like Rum and Coke....and hopefully a bunch of bass... We should do well...

Pete

HawgZWylde
07-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Punch as in Gin and Juice..lol...okay more like Rum and Coke....and hopefully a bunch of bass... We should do well...

Pete

Gaa, Rum & coke? I puked my guts out on that years ago and never looked back, lol. Naw, for me it's margaritas, love that Tequila buzz. Yup, those laid over Tules should hold some nice pigs. Good luck and have fun Pete...