PDA

View Full Version : Super El Nino predictioins, tuna in NP, now this...

basshole1
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Hey guys, came across an article that was a kinda interesting. It states scientists haven't witnessed a phenomena like this in thirty years. Are memorable fishing days ahead of us? Hope so...

Check out the video embedded in the article. Pretty amazing...:Big Grin:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/massive-school-anchovies-looks-like-oil-slick/

fishinone
07-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that we can expect some warm water fish this year.

On a side note, swimming in a bait ball is a great way to encourage shark bites.

murrieta angler
07-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Very Cool!!
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
07-09-2014, 07:19 PM
I saw the same thing in person along the shore near La Gringa, Bahia de Los Angeles many moons ago.

We didn't swim with em, but we did cast into em for nothing. Very cool to see.

WWO

ps I am glad I stocked up on the Anchovie LCs

DockRat
07-10-2014, 06:35 AM
California drought blankets entire state; El Niņo forecast dims.

Not too long ago in this season of California’s massive and extended drought, climate experts saw a small glimmer of hope on the horizon: Predictions for a wet El Niņo season coming in the winter that would bring badly needed rain and relief to a parched state.

Now that glimmer is fading fast, and the drought has gotten even worse.

“The El Niņo had a very promising, dramatic surge in January, February and March, but now as we enter summer, all of a sudden it is disappearing,” said climatologist Bill Patzert, looking up from a dozen satellite images on his computer screen at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Pasadena. “The great wet hope is going to be the great wet disappointment.”

Read the whole article here.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-n...-forecast-dims

basshole1
07-10-2014, 11:55 AM
California drought blankets entire state; El Niņo forecast dims.

Not too long ago in this season of California’s massive and extended drought, climate experts saw a small glimmer of hope on the horizon: Predictions for a wet El Niņo season coming in the winter that would bring badly needed rain and relief to a parched state.

Now that glimmer is fading fast, and the drought has gotten even worse.

“The El Niņo had a very promising, dramatic surge in January, February and March, but now as we enter summer, all of a sudden it is disappearing,” said climatologist Bill Patzert, looking up from a dozen satellite images on his computer screen at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Pasadena. “The great wet hope is going to be the great wet disappointment.”

Read the whole article here.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-n...-forecast-dims

Hey DR, thanks for the update. What an unfortunate predicament we are facing. Just when CA needs it the most (texas also), the weather patterns abruptly change. It is so unpredictable. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The link you provided seems to have been removed so I included another link. For those that are interested, it is the same article from a different publication.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-news/20140627/california-drought-blankets-entire-state-el-nixf1o-forecast-dims

HawgZWylde
07-10-2014, 03:36 PM
The National Weather service today announced that they're predicting a 70% chance of a mild-moderate El Nino event starting in Fall through spring of 2015...

Coleyounger
07-11-2014, 05:40 PM
California always has had droughts. Pretty long lasting ones at that.. Nothing unusual. The problem isn't drought, the problem is the state population and not having the resources to support it. Lets keep building and building...soon there won't be enough water to drink...State planning at its best...

HawgZWylde
07-11-2014, 06:05 PM
California always has had droughts. Pretty long lasting ones at that.. Nothing unusual. The problem isn't drought, the problem is the state population and not having the resources to support it. Lets keep building and building...soon there won't be enough water to drink...State planning at its best...

So then why do we welcome millions of illegals? And the last time I checked, the homebuilding industry is on life support here. Why don't we build more reservoirs? You know we haven't built any power plants in decades either except those supper expensive solar power plants out in the desert that are killing off those endangered tortoises and a host of other wildlife. Those solar plants also don't produce much power generation compared to nuclear, conventional gas or clean coal fired plants. You know they were using DVL water to generate electricity last year to make up for the closing of the San Onofre nuke plant right? I think they're doing it now because the water level is dropping so fast. If we had smart state planning we would have more water storage capacity or reservoirs if you will, we wouldn't let extreme environmentalist dictate that water be diverted or stopped because of a non-native baitfish and Steelhead which is Rainbow Trout. We would also have built power plants that do not rely on hydro generation. Yes, we are in a drought, but if we had done things right, it wouldn't be so bad. Now we better pray for rain and lots of it...

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
07-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Its funny when you see your neighbors take 5 hours to wash their 3 cars with the hose on blast. I also think its funny when I see many people water their plants/lawns during the times of 12pm to 3 pm.

Fish Dog
07-19-2014, 09:54 PM
They can't reliably predict the weather 3 days out so how are they predicting (or not predicting) this? If it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't.

smokehound
07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Im hoping for a decent el nino, that means rain in summer :D