PDA

View Full Version : dvl yesterday

Matt_Magnone
07-08-2014, 08:31 PM
ran my usual spots with the reaction stuff and found it a little bit of a pain in the butt. fish didnt want to chase so about noon it turned into a "sit on a spot shakin" kinda day, found fish on main lake points that led out from post spawn suspension spots. ended up with a "double limit" day with all fish coming from 15-20 on main lake points. angle of retrieve really didnt matter as long as the bait stayed in the strike zone.

i caught all my fish shaking 7" orange crusher roboworms.

1/4oz picasso tungsten bullet weight
2/0 gamakatsu offset round bend hook
7" orange crusher roboworm
8# seaguar invizx
megabass rods and abu garcia reels

needed to just get bit to make sitting in the sun worth it haha :LOL: didnt want to throw the jig so i said screw it and reached for the shakey shakey rod. all in all it was really good on 15" fish. you'd get bit every 5-10 casts and before you could wind down on em' you'd be tight lined. i stayed on one spot for a while then i went back to trying to drum up "mystery fish" on the reaction baits for jack _ _ _ _! :EyePop:

chompot
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Matt. We were out there on Saturday morning and had a tough time getting bit. We had 2 on the boat. I got skunked.

Matt_Magnone
07-08-2014, 10:02 PM
yeah, its been a little tougher for the fun style baits but if you want to just get bit, grab a texas rig and go old school and just get on points and shake around. fish are all over the points but the problem is size.

DEVOREFLYER
07-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Matt thanks for the report, yip size is a problem, lots of smaller ones the bigger ones are missing. Also where have all the bait fish disappeared to none visible in the water and little if any on the finder.

HawgZWylde
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Whoa, first Kwin shows back up now you drop in out of the cyber universe, lol. Dittos for today dude, hot freaking dog days man. Different baits but same outcome. First threw a little Bass fry crank for a couple at sunrise, once the lights came on it was game over for any reaction baits. Went to a t-rigged watermelon/red flake Hula Grub and stuck a few shallow before it got hot and the mid-day lockjaw syndrome set in. Went offshore with a jig and fed the rock&wood fish a butt-load of lead and rubber for two 3lb LMB's. Funny cause last Tuesday I got on an afternoon jig bite and destroyed them with that jig I showed you by the Saddle dam that day. Lol, this week the fish told me to kiss their arses, we ain't eaten that so back to the T-Rig I go except I went to a heavier bullet weight to fish deeper quicker. Stuck a few more and that was the day. Earned those damn things today...

Baja1ab
07-09-2014, 11:19 AM
First post here - just registered. I took our 6yo son out on Monday. Pretty much had the same experience as the rest of you - reaction bait bite in the coves seems to be over with. Nabbed a few off the points, but nothing to write home about there. I did land a decent one - 4.2lb biggest of the day - on Saddle Dam throwing a spybait (Duo Realis, which I bought from Matt coincidentally :Thumbs Up:) She hit it hard too. Scared the crap out of me because I initially thought it was a much larger fish and I was throwing it on 6# line, as recommended.

Matt_Magnone
07-09-2014, 11:05 PM
yeah its just the summer time funk between the two most aggressive times of the year. a lot of people are blaming the falling water level but i dont believe it. its just THAT time of year. it's one thing for a level to drop 4 ft one week then stabilize only to drop 6 feet 2 weeks later. with the water level continuously going down, these fish already have it in their heads that it's normal. they've become conditioned to falling water. the've moved out and sat on stable structure spots/ humps, points, creek channels, cuts. all that crap. the guy that becomes an offshore fisherman this time of year is generally the guy that sticks the pigs. it just becomes a pain considering this time of year we start seeing that high winds earlier in the day. by 1 when the wind starts up on the east then the west, it can make it tough to hold on spots. we've only been seeing that 10 MPH PM stuff but pretty soon we'll get those 15MPH days. around august when that happens HOLD ON BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!! IT'S SWIMBAIT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!