PDA

View Full Version : 7/7 Half Day on the Stardust out of Santa Barbara

ALandsford
07-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Finally took my oldest daughter on her first ocean fishing trip...Waited until she was 24 years old. Better late then never...Actually she paid... so she took me. Have three sons who live in San Diego, but the half day boats have been spotty with a lot of short calicos, sandies and a few misc. fish..After watching the fish reports for about a week, we made the three hour drive from the high desert to Sea Landing in Santa Barbara. Hit the usual traffic on the 101..so allow yourself some extra time. Arrived 30 minutes before departure (I know). Plenty of parking. Office as well as on boat check in was A-OK!

It was my first time for me on the Stardust. ..an older 65 foot boat in excellent condition. VERY clean, well maintained with a top notch captain and crew. Rides well, but is is "misty" from the bow half way down the sides..in mild seas and moderate wind. Small but efficient galley that seats about 10-12.
Protected seating behind the cabin for about 15 plus a large seating deck above the cabin. Plenty of rod racks as well as protected areas for tackle boxes. Very small bait tank in the bow, 2 small/moderate tanks in the stern...Plenty big for bottom fishing. My guess they make it work well when surface fish go off and chum is needed. Max load 40. We had 31 today. For me 40 would be ok...but not ideal.

I have been fishing party boats for over 50 years and these guys are as good and hard working as I have encountered....From the time you step on the boat to the time you step off....nothing but being helpful, hustle and good cheer. Thank you guys! Prices are more than fair.. $55.00 for adults, $45.00 for old guys like me. $75.00 for 3/4 day. Food (very tasty and good portions), fish cleaning etc. again were more than fair. $3.00 parking.

Now for the fishing....

1/2 boat schedule is 9:00 A.M.-3:00 P.M. Left right on time..Quick trip to the bait tank for 6 scoops nice sized and lively anchovies to go along with cut up squid.The harbor is small so 5+ minutes you are in the open ocean. 35 minute trip to the first stop. Fished throughout the day in 225-280 feet of water. Anchored up on first couple rocks. Put on 150+ the first hour or so..mostly widow rockfish around a couple pounds with a few reds mixed in. Boat wouldn't stay on the spot so we tried a few others with fair luck... Jackpot was taken on one of these stops..My guess about a 10 lb. Ling. Last spot the captain did not anchor but held the boat in position with the throttle and steering. WIDE open until everyone caught their limits. Crew took off and bagged every fish as well as recording the catch on a tally board. Very pleased to see them taking limits seriously. Slow trip back until fish were cleaned. Quality filleting by the captain and crew. Fish double bagged and stored in ice chests.

I know this is a long report for such a short trip...Just wanted to give as complete report as I can..so others who have not fished the boat hear it from someone who was just there.

Recommended right now for 1/2 day rock fishing. I talked to several passengers who also fish their 3/4 day (7:00 A.M.- 4/5:00 P.M.) trips to Santa Rosa Island. Off the hook right now on larger size rockfish including Reds as well as Lings.

Thanks for reading...and again.. Thank you Stardust!

Which Way Out
07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Wonderful boat and a great write up. But did you have one of their famous Cheeseburgers?

WWO

ichthus
07-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Great report! I agree they are a great crew. Definitely my favorite boat. Have been out three times in the last 2 years since my daughter started shcool at UCSB. I also make the 3 hour drive from the IE. Its worth it. And yes, gotta have the 'Mega mouth'!