PDA

View Full Version : 7ft great white caught off manhatten beach pier

GETBIT!
07-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Did anyone else see this video.. the iresponsibilty of these fishermen is unbelievable my prayers go out to the poor swimmer who was bittin Great White Shark Attack "CAUGHT on CAMERA" / Man…: http://youtu.be/ESzXLQhMMlo

fishinone
07-06-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't agree with your assessment.

Swimming or surfing in areas where food fish are concentrated (where the fishing is good) is a recognized way of putting yourself in the path of ocean predators.

In addition, surfing under a pier isn't safe under any circumstance. Surfing under a pier where people are fishing, present more, obvious dangers.

I've been on a fishing pier where surfers were surfing repeatedly into fisherman lines and screaming bloody murder. There are so many reasons why that is a bad idea. If safety isn't reason enough. Does just keeping the peace with other people work for you? It must be possible to surf farther from the pier but moving the fishing pier isn't an option.

I don't know if the fishermen knew that he had a great white on. Certainly he couldn't predict that it would bite someone while it was hooked. But all of that aside, the best thing to do if you know that you have a protected species hooked would be to break off. I didn't say cut the line because that would leave more line on the animal.

GETBIT!
07-06-2014, 05:32 PM
They fought the beast for 45 mins befor the bite im sure in that period of time they figured out what they had, from the video it looked like they thought it would be funny to surface the shark and scare the group of 15 swimmers and paddle boarder that was untill the man was bit. They should have BROKE it off once they saw the big group people coming no matter what kind of shark it was, That of course would be the good human thing to do.that man is really lucky to be alive.

cutbait
07-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Idiots laughing when he got bit.

Dumb assess thought it was funny even if they thought it jumped in "on top" of him.

Laughing at his Deathful screams as "shitting his pants"

Heartless morons

fishinone
07-06-2014, 07:22 PM
If there is 45 minutes of tape does it indicate that they knew what they had?

The first video I saw was some girl surfer blaming all fishermen wanting fishing banned. Essentially, using emotion to hijack resources that they should have been required to avoid in the first place.

GETBIT!
07-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Idiots laughing when he got bit.

Dumb assess thought it was funny even if they thought it jumped in "on top" of him.

Laughing at his Deathful screams as "shitting his pants"

Heartless morons

Yup & Unfortunitly now I have a feeling this will effect fishing from this pier and possibly others

GETBIT!
07-06-2014, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=fishinone;732636]If there is 45 minutes of tape does it indicate that they knew what they had?

Possibly but then again im not law enforcement all I can go off is common sense and what the media releases

ghettofishermans son
07-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Saw this guy post his testimony yrsterday on a facebook fishing club and was totally on his side made it seem like he was trying to get the shark away from swimmers but after seeing this video I think he handled it the wrong way especially laughing and joking when the shark is In between all the surfers . I believe that the surfers should stay away from the pier due to people fishing sine the peir is ment to be fish and the few times I've fished the pier I've ran into very rude surfers which come right along side the pier in between our lines even had one surfer bite my line cuz he said it was in his way . But the behavior in this video makes the fisherman in my eyes wrong after seeing the shark surfacing I between large groups of surfers he should have just busted the shark off. Weather or not the surfers are wrong he should have taken into consideration that he is fighting a dangerous animal and agrivating it putting them in harms way. He didn't even give any warning to the surfers until he realized the surfer was bit and he was in trouble.

fishinone
07-06-2014, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=fishinone;732636]If there is 45 minutes of tape does it indicate that they knew what they had?

Possibly but then again im not law enforcement all I can go off is common sense and what the media releases

How are what the media releases and common sense related?

I can see this affecting fishing, especially on piers. The girl that I saw in the interview was very articulate but not objective or balanced. All that I see in this is some idiot giving opportunist the chance to grab resources.

It would clearly be better if fishermen and surfers would act would act responsibly.

I hope that it's illegal to harass protected species and that if it can be proven, the authorities will pursue it but my fear is that it will be pursued politically instead.

GETBIT!
07-06-2014, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=GETBIT!;732638]

How are what the media releases and common sense related?

I can see this affecting fishing, especially on piers. The girl that I saw in the interview was very articulate but not objective or balanced. All that I see in this is some idiot giving opportunist the chance to grab resources.

It would clearly be better if fishermen and surfers would act would act responsibly.

I hope that it's illegal to harass protected species and that if it can be proven that the authorities will pursue it but my fear is that it will be persued politically instead.

No relation. All I personally have to go off & make my opinion, to me its clear as day these guys knew they had a big shark on.

cutbait
07-06-2014, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=fishinone;732641]

No relation. All I personally have to go off & make my opinion, to me its clear as day these guys knew they had a big shark on.

Without re watching it. Their comments of "pier hopping" and gear looked and gave the impression they were avid shark hunters.

I don't want to watch it again as those death screams are something I don't want to hear again

tommibear
07-07-2014, 09:52 AM
All of this could had been prevented if the City of Manhattan Beach enforced their regulations in regards to fishing at the pier.

Manhattan Municipal Code:

12.08.100 Fishing.

No person shall:

A. Cast, extend, set, use or draw, or assist in casting, extending, setting, using or drawing any seine or net of any kind for the purpose of catching fish within a distance of one (1) mile from the mean high tide line of the City.
B. Fish with more than one (1) fishing line or cast out more than one (1) fishing line at the same time on or from any part of the public pier which extends westerly into the Pacific Ocean at the foot of Manhattan Beach Boulevard, whether such line is attached to a fishing rod or not.
C. Cast a line with any lead weight or metal substance, other than a hook attached thereto, by swinging said line with said weight above the iron railing on the public pier in the City or by swinging or casting said line overhead from a pole or from the hand. Casting must be from below the level of the railing of the pier.

These fishermen were (1) using more than one fishing line per person and (2) OVERHEAD casting as far as they could, in order to "slide" their live bait down their lines.

If the City wants to avoid this from happening again, they just need to enforce the overhead casting rule. That way, the sharks will be out of the fishermen's reach. The "NO OVERHEAD CASTING" signs are already posted at the pier.

fishinone
07-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Without re watching it. Their comments of "pier hopping" and gear looked and gave the impression they were avid shark hunters.

I don't want to watch it again as those death screams are something I don't want to hear again

Cutbait, That quote isn't from me.

There is something wrong with the automatic quoting.

GETBIT!
07-07-2014, 12:27 PM

X 2 on the watching again part

DockRat
07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
That stretch from the pier to El Porto is famous for juvi whites. The pier is for fishing. The piers have cleaning stations and chumming is legal. Piers are structure and attract fish. If your group swims up to a fishing area where people target sharks and chum then your taking your chances.

Does anyone know if the fisherman was talking in the video ?
It was just a unfortunate accident. Not a shark attack.
That guys rig doesn't look big enough to target 5' to 10' GWS's.
DR

Pacific Coast Shark News 2014

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

Manhattan Beach — On July 5, 2014 an unidentified swimmer was bitten by a 6 – 7 foot juvenile White Shark near the Manhattan Beach Pier. The following information was provided by Eric Martin, Facility Director, Roundhouse Marine Lab and Aquarium located on the Manhattan Beach Pier;“At about 8:45AM a fisherman on the pier hooked a juvenile White Shark. He had battled the fish for about 45 minutes. The shark had taken about 200 yards of line off the fisherman's reel and was that distance North of the pier. At that same time a group of distance swimmers were also moving through the same area. It is possible that the unidentified male swimmer got his hand tangled in the fishing line, which caused the shark to strike him in the area of his rib-cage. He was assisted from the water and taken by Paramedics to the hospital. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.” Additional information will be posted when available. This incident is not an unprovoked attack but rather a special case and/or provoked. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On July 1, 2014 Rich Wright was observing the surf at 24 th Street in Manhattan Beach at about 12:00PM. The sky was overcast with an estimated air temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm with a slight chop. Dolphins frequent this area and are common throughout the day.Wright reported:“A 6 – 7 foot White Shark breached just past the waves as I was eating my lunch on the third story balcony of a house on the Strand. I saw the entire shark as it cleared the water's surface in flight, twisted and splashed down. I did not see what it was after but I have forty years experience surfing in many parts of the world and the shark I saw was a juvenile White Shark.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On June 20, 2014 Brian Beauchaine was surfing with an unidentified companion at El Porto near 40th Street in Manhattan Beach. It was 8:45 AM and they had been on the water 35 – 45 minutes. The sky was clear with an estimated air temperature of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm with 2 – 3 foot waves coming in sets. The depth was 10 – 12 feet over a sandy ocean bottom with an estimated water temperature in the 60s Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Beauchaine reported;“I happened to look out to see if any waves were coming in. I saw the shark lift its head out of the water for a second and then when it went back under and I saw the dorsal and tail fins. It had a broad pointed snout with a straight dorsal fin which is how I knew it was not a dolphin or porpoise. It looked to be about seven feet in length, very dark gray in coloration. Dorsal fin was straight triangle. Tail fin was about 3 – 4 inches out of the water. The girl I was surfing with said right before I saw it, she felt a swirling motion right under her and the shark came up about ten feet away. It must have swum right under her although she didn't see it. She said the look on my face was enough to tell her something was up. Other people were looking at the same spot so I assume they saw it as well, although we were the only ones who got out of the water. It didn't seem to want to bother anyone, but being my first experience with a shark while surfing, I was done for the day.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On June 18, 2014 Katrina Ling and an unidentified companion were swimming outside the breakers at Manhattan Beach. It was 8:30 AM and they had been on the water about 20 minutes. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 70 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. It was low tide and a calm ocean over water about 10 feet deep. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Ling recounted;“We were swimming South at a leisurely pace past the breakers from 30th Street Tower in Manhattan Beach towards the pier. It was very low tide so the floor was somewhat visible. When I saw a dark figure moving underneath me and to the side, I paused to look and identified it as a shark because its body was curved like the letter C. It was about 6 feet in length with a dark grey back and appeared to be searching the ocean floor, not paying attention particularly to swimmers on top. Once I notified my swimming partner we decided to swim to shore immediately. I did not see the shark follow us nor did we have any further sightings after that.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On June 14, 2014 Kirk Aguer and an unidentified companion were surfing El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was 10:30 AM and they had been on the water about 40 minutes. It was sunny with a mild breeze and an estimated air temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The surf was 2 – 3 feet over a sandy ocean bottom 10 feet deep with like visibility and an estimated water temperature of 67 degrees Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Aguer recalled;“I was with a friend and we were sitting on our surfboards about 25 yards off the shore waiting for a wave. All of a sudden a 5 – 6 foot juvenile Great White Shark swims very slowly right by the front of my surfboard. The dorsal and tail fin did not break the water but were just below the surface. It was about 4 – 5 feet from me and continued swimming slowly in a south/east direction down the beach towards another group of surfers. I notified them that there was a small White Shark in the water and they saw it as well. The shark continued past them in the same direction and was never spotted again. Nobody got out of the water. This is the second time this year I have seen a small White Shark at this beach.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On June 14, 2014 Dennis Chavez was surfing at El Porto near the third tank at the Chevron Tank farm in Manhattan Beach. It was 9:40 AM and he had been on the water about one hour. He recorded the air and water temperature at 65 and 64 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. It was slightly overcast with a light breeze. The surf was 1 – 3 feet with lightly textured water over a sandy ocean bottom about 8 feet deep. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Chavez reported;“I was waiting for a set, sitting on my board facing South. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and looked down to my right to see a large Great White Shark about two feet from my right leg, a couple of feet below the surface. It was longer than my 8 foot board and extremely thick body. I froze while the animal slowly swam by me to the South, angling off shore after passing me. I told another surfer who was about 20 feet behind me what had happened as the shark must have swam right by him. We both watched its shadow move along the surf line towards another group of surfers about 40 yards to the South. I called out and informed one of the surfers about the animal, but they took no action and did not seem to see it. The surfer that was behind me said ‘I don't need this' and paddled in. I stayed out for about 20 minutes, till I felt an unusual bump, as a swell passed under me that almost knocked me off my board, forcing me to lay flat to keep from toppling off. I looked around to see if there was anything near me, and saw nothing; no ripples, shadows, or anything that could have caused it. I was already spooked from the earlier encounter and paddled in for the day.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On June 9, 2014 David McNeary was surfing near 34th Street in Manhattan Beach. It was 9:45 AM and he had been on the water 1 hour and 45 minutes. The sky was overcast with an estimated air temperature in the 70s Fahrenheit. The surf was 1 – 3 feet clean with the water 4 – 5 feet deep over a flat sandy ocean bottom that was easily seen from the surface. There was a kelp canopy 10 – 20 yards West of his location and a small pod of 8 – 10 dolphins 50 yards Northwest of his location. The dolphins had been swimming back and forth throughout the morning. However, at about 9:30 AM they stopped swimming back and forth and began circling a kelp canopy. This continued for approximately 30 minutes. McNeary recalled;“I was paddling into a right, heading Southeast as I stood and turned into the wave. I observed a dark grey, 5 foot shark directly below me, heading Southeast and toward the shore at a steeper angle than I had taken. The shark was on my right headed to shore in more of a slightly straight line, I crossed over him. As the shark turned, I could see the white underbelly. The shark appeared to be moving slowly and not alarmed by me at all. I took the opportunity to get out of the water at the end of that ride. I was a little spooked. I did not see the shark again. I informed the lifeguard but he did not seem to express much alarm.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On June 1, 2014 Amanda Schmitz, of Chica Surf Adventures, was surfing at Manhattan Beach near Tower 45. It was 10:00 AM and she had been on the water about one hour. It was sunny with air and water temperatures in the 60s Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm with water visibility greater than the 6 – 10 foot depth as the sandy bottom could be seen clearly from the surface. No marine mammals or fish were observed in the area. Schmitz reported; “I was in the water for an hour and I heard people talking about seeing two sharks. I watched as a number of surfers would cautiously swim away from the sharks, but they continued to surf for at least 20 minutes. The sharks seemed to be hanging out. There were no erratic movements by the sharks but they were fairly active swimming around the surf line. Quite honestly, I have friends who surf there and see them every day, but not the larger one of the two. I saw a l arge dorsal fin swimming through several wave sets towards and under surfers in shallow water. A separate dark clear shadow of the shark was seen multiple times close to shore. The sharks were never together; in fact they were far apart. The smaller shark was maybe 6 – 8 feet in length and the other easily 10 – 12 feet in length, maybe more. It looked like the size of a car from above. One swam underneath a bunch of surfers straight towards me and the other swam past me about 10 feet away with its dorsal fin above the water. The bigger one definitely spooked me out a little just because of its size. It wasn't so much that it was long but it was such a big creature all the way around.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On May 30, 2014 Michael Dolan was surfing at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was 7:20 AM and he had been on the water about 50 minutes. The sky was cloudy to the East and clear to the West with an estimated air temperature of 63 degrees Fahrenheit. There were 2 – 3 foot waves at 9 seconds with the depth in excess of 15 feet and an estimated water temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Dolan recounted;“I live in the area and surf this location at least 3 times per week, so I am very familiar with the 7 – 9 foot juvenile Great White that has been seen frequently in El Porto lately. The Great White I saw today was substantially larger, both in length and especially in girth. I had been in the water since 6:30 AM and much of the time was spent sitting on my board as the swell was disappointing. I was approximately 30 yards from shore. While sitting and chatting with a fellow surfer, a Great White jumped completely out of the water, no more than 20 yards away, and northwest of our position in front of 43rd Street. The shark's entire body was out of the water, so it was possible to more accurately gauge its size and discern its characteristics and it was definitely a Great White. I would estimate it to be at least 12 feet, possibly larger. Unlike the juvenile, which has been frequently coasting these waters, this one had a substantial girth. While I am accustomed to seeing smaller sharks in the water, the size of this one was truly alarming and I have never seen anything like it during the nearly 3 years I have lived and been surfing here. I began paddling in and another surfer slightly closer to the shore, who did not see the jump, was alarmed as he just saw the tail of a ‘really big' shark swim close to his board.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On May 29, 2014 Claudio Tona reported the following;“I went to Manhattan Beach at 5:30 PM to check out the waves. I was parked South of Tower 45. As I watched a set of waves come in I saw a shark ‘fly' out of the water and belly land about 10 yards from the line up. It was not large, maybe 4 – 5 feet in length and I can't say what type of shark. Also, I do not know if any of the surfers in the water saw the shark breach.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On May 15, 2014 John Kresich was surfing at Manhattan Beach. He reported the following;“It was 9:15 AM with a clear sky and a very warm air temperature. The ocean was glassy calm with small surf and a water temperature in the low 60s Fahrenheit. The bottom was 5 – 7 feet deep and could be seen easily from the surface. Other surfers reported seeing schools of baitfish and a few bat rays in the area. Several dolphins had been observed in the area. I was sitting on my board about 35 yards off shore from the beach, facing west toward the incoming waves. I was slightly north of the 45th tower located at north end of El Porto in Manhattan Beach. Another individual was paddling out when a 6 – 7 foot White Shark was observed heading directly towards shore about 3 yards north of me and between the guy paddling out. The shark was cruising at a slow speed, slightly under the surface. I believe it was looking for fish near shore. Two of us had a good look at shark. I've seen one before at Trail One in San Onofre and have a good understanding of the shark's distinctive characteristics. Most of us continued to surf, and we did not see it the rest of the session.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On May 13, 2014 Journalist Kevin Cody, Easy Reader News, reported the following;“After hearing reports from fellow surfers of a Great White in the water in front of his Manhattan Beach home, photographer Gus McConnell went shark hunting Tuesday morning. It didn't take him long to verify the reports. ‘A neighbor was about to go surfing at 44th Street yesterday when some guys coming out of the water said there was a shark swimming around. She didn't go out. A few other friends had mentioned sightings, so I figured they were hanging around,' McConnell said. He paddled out on a prone paddleboard with a mask, snorkel and Pentax water camera. After not seeing sharks at 44th Street, he paddled south, seven blocks to Rosecrans Avenue. There he saw a solid six-foot shark and took several photos of it. But the photos weren't clear because the water visibility was not good and he quickly lost sight of the shark. ‘So, I paddled back to 44th Street and got lucky. A five-to six-foot shark was circling the surfers, not more than 25 yards from shore. Unless the one at Rosecrans followed me, I think this was a different one,' said McConnell. He paddled after the shark with his left arm while holding his Pentax under water and shooting with his right arm. ‘The surfers were looking at me like I was crazy, but the shark was acting docile. If I reached down I could have grabbed his tail fin, but I didn't want to push my luck.' McConnell said that based on the shark's white belly, girth, and length — which he estimated to be that of an adult human — he believes the shark was a juvenile great white, though whites and makos are difficult to distinguish when they are young. Sharks generally eat fish and not mammals until they reach the nine-to ten-foot range." Photograph by Gus McConnell. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On April 30, 2014 Matt Agnitch was surfing about 40 yards from shore at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was 8:00 AM and he had been on the water about 40 minutes. Several dolphins were observed in the area prior to the encounter. Agnitch reported;“I was paddling out to catch a set that was coming in when I saw a grey fin protrude from the water about 20 yards from me. Based on the triangular shape, I thought it was a shark. About 30 seconds later I spotted another fin, but this one surely resembled a dolphin fin. After seeing this I decided to stay out, since I assumed that maybe my eyes had deceived me and the previous fin just belonged to a dolphin. About 20 minutes later I saw two other surfers paddling in and saying that they had a shark swim under them. They estimated it was about 10 feet in length. I decided to call it a day and when I later talked with them their description would lead me to guess it was either a Great White or Salmon shark.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/battdog1/Jaws.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/battdog1/media/Jaws.gif.html)

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
07-11-2014, 09:15 PM
We are all fisherman here, that being said. I think it was pretty dumb that they were laughing at people swimming for their lives. They just made fisherman look pretty bad right there

bachiboy
07-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Not sure how true this is, but a co-worker just told me she went on Manhattan pier over the weekend and she saw signs saying "NO FISHING". Like I said, I can't say if this is accurate but that's not good. If true, that incident has set a bad precedent. Also not sure if that rule spills over to the beaches at all.

GETBIT!
07-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Not sure how true this is, but a co-worker just told me she went on Manhattan pier over the weekend and she saw signs saying "NO FISHING". Like I said, I can't say if this is accurate but that's not good. If true, that incident has set a bad precedent. Also not sure if that rule spills over to the beaches at all.

Acording to the news they were going to close the pier for 3 days after the incident then changed it to 60 days, The pier will reopen for fishing sometime in september.
Unfortunitly it only takes a couple of people and a bad decision to ruin it for everyone.