PDA

View Full Version : We are Back to a 5 Catfish limit - No Catch and release

vineline
07-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Good day FNN:

I am sad to announce that anglers will no longer be allowed to catch and release catfish at Irvine Lake.
Due to some unforseen circumstances that have been happening on a regular basis we can no
longer continue to allow anglers to catch and release.
We will once again have to enforce a strict 5 catfish limit per angler.

Thank you for your continued support.
Vineline

trail blazer
07-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Well I have to say that im flabber gasted! the thought of having to eat kitty nuggets and hush puppys after a days fishing is absurd , although iv never been to Irvine iv always thought that that organization had more gazubles then that:Shocked:

,,,J/K

WTG IRVINE!

TRAIL BLAZER

hookerz
07-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Sadly,the way people are, it was bound to happen. The opening weekend,some guys were keeping 4 or more limits of fish. I think you guys could use more limit enforcement. One guy in a boat just isn't enough for the whole lake.
tight lines,
Steve

vineline
07-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Thank you for your support and you are absolutely right.
If you see anyone over fishing the lake, please let us know.
Contact the tackle shop and we will send someone out right away.
We want to keep bringing in these huge stockings of fish and in order
to do that we need to make sure everyone has a fair chance of
catching their limits.

Thank you again.

trollmiester
07-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Thank you,hate to see does overlimits after a stocking.

troutdog
07-04-2014, 05:44 PM
I hate to think about all the cats 10lbs + that are going to be brought to the cleaning station because the rules states no C & R rather than allowing them to grow and possibly reproduce, but I'm sure there is a good business reason for the change.

Question: What size does the catfish have to be where C & R is rewarded with a free pass or boat rental, is it 15lbs? 20lbs? Or is this no longer offered?

Thank you in advance and we'll see you at the lake!

TD

etucker1959
07-04-2014, 06:56 PM
This is a very sad day, I don't like killing catfish!!!!!! So I guess my Irvine lake days are over.

JoshR88
07-04-2014, 07:44 PM
That's sad news! Even without catch and release this is the go to lake in SoCal! If you guys need a lake enforcer, you can count me in. I'd gladly switch jobs babysitting adults to help maintain this lake fishery haha. The vine is great! Keep up the good work!

See Chris Fish
07-04-2014, 09:44 PM
It lasted longer than I thought it would.
Always the knuckle heads messing it up for everyone else.

See ya on the water.

hookerz
07-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Aaron, its 20 pounds or bigger. I got a pass earlier this year for the above fish.
tight lines,
Steve

TwistedOrder
07-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Back to corona for me, they stock smaller fish. I'm not going to fillet 60 lbs of fish once a week. Absolutely crazy. Wonder team 57 will think of no longer being able to set them free. I know a lot of novice fisherman about to be handed huge cats lol.

troutdog
07-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Aaron, its 20 pounds or bigger. I got a pass earlier this year for the above fish.
tight lines,
Steve

Thanks Steve, hoping to earn my free pass tonight! :Wink:

Back to corona for me, they stock smaller fish. I'm not going to fillet 60 lbs of fish once a week. Absolutely crazy. Wonder team 57 will think of no longer being able to set them free. I know a lot of novice fisherman about to be handed huge cats lol.

I can't speak for everybody obviously, but if the rule is no C & R than that's the rule we'll be following. Not a huge deal really, in the years prior to last it wasn't allowed anyways.

Good luck out there.

TD

cutbait
07-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Glutinous no good for nothing POS's that have no morals regarding fisheries and others.

I helped a guy here in Bakersfield to get on some catfish.

He posted on Facebook this pic. Needless to say I expressed my displeasure and cut ties with him.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG_39904019714331_zpsa5473f49.jpg

hollywoodbass
07-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Makes more sense to allow catch and release and only allow anglers to keep 5 catfish. Catfish are an extremely hardy fish. Catching and releasing them does not harm them. Sounds like the issue is people keeping too many of them. Trout on the other hand die real easily so they should not be catch and release. Just my input.

etucker1959
07-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks Steve, hoping to earn my free pass tonight! :Wink:

I can't speak for everybody obviously, but if the rule is no C & R than that's the rule we'll be following. Not a huge deal really, in the years prior to last it wasn't allowed anyways.

Good luck out there.

TD

I'm very disappointed in the rule change. What it will hurt is the Monster Catfish. What is a monster catfish?? It's a catfish that's over 30 lbs!!!!!! A blue catfish only has a life expectancy of 20-25 years. (look it up if you don't believe me) Since no C&R on catfish till their 20 lbs, think of all the catfish that could have grown into monster size but are killed instead because that's what the rules are.

dattack
07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Glutinous no good for nothing POS's that have no morals regarding fisheries and others.

He posted on Facebook this pic. Needless to say I expressed my displeasure and cut ties with him.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG_39904019714331_zpsa5473f49.jpg
Wow. No wonder I never catch anything. These MFs fished them all out.

DEVOREFLYER
07-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Not any different than the father that takes his kids fishing with him and fills their limit for them in my opinion.

troutdog
07-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Since no C&R on catfish till their 20 lbs, think of all the catfish that could have grown into monster size but are killed instead because that's what the rules are.

No argument there...

TD

TwistedOrder
07-05-2014, 01:59 PM
So I won't have any monsters left in this lake because we won't let them grow to get there. I can't release the obviously pregnant cat mommas, and ready to spawn behemoths.

Why not limit hook use to circle hooks only? I'm assuming this rule comes into play because of terrible anglers deep hooking fish and letting them go. Circle hooks will eliminate that problem. How about we educate people on how to release with the pro team? There is a plethora of other options aside from driving away the 3 day per week fisherman. This lake gets a large portion of my salary and I can almost guarantee I'll stop going because it doesn't make sense to pay to be inconvenienced. I fish for the love of the sport, and only keep what I can eat, my wife and I are completely incapable of consuming 45lbs 3 times a week.
I clean up after other anglers, give out as many tips as I can and do my best to buy local bait and support the tackle shop, not walmart. But I'm being punished? Not cool. Hand out stamps to anglers certified to release fish after taking a training course. Do something, anything but throw up your hands and quit.

etucker1959
07-05-2014, 02:17 PM
So I won't have any monsters left in this lake because we won't let them grow to get there. I can't release the obviously pregnant cat mommas, and ready to spawn behemoths.

Why not limit hook use to circle hooks only? I'm assuming this rule comes into play because of terrible anglers deep hooking fish and letting them go. Circle hooks will eliminate that problem. How about we educate people on how to release with the pro team? There is a plethora of other options aside from driving away the 3 day per week fisherman. This lake gets a large portion of my salary and I can almost guarantee I'll stop going because it doesn't make sense to pay to be inconvenienced. I fish for the love of the sport, and only keep what I can eat, my wife and I are completely incapable of consuming 45lbs 3 times a week.
I clean up after other anglers, give out as many tips as I can and do my best to buy local bait and support the tackle shop, not walmart. But I'm being punished? Not cool. Hand out stamps to anglers certified to release fish after taking a training course. Do something, anything but throw up your hands and quit.

I'm not sure the issue has anything to do about improperly releasing Catfish. I'm speculating based on other peoples comments that this is only about OVER LIMITS!!!!!!! Which is going to happen anyway with or without C&R being allowed. I'm still only speculating, but the only sort of logic that makes any sense at all that their trying to use is, "WHEN YOU CATCH YOUR LIMIT GO HOME"!!!!!!!!!

Now what they should have done to help preserve their monster Cat fishery is the following. Allow no C&R on catfish under 10 lbs, but allow someone to release a 10 lb or larger fish before they limit out. Once they do limit out they are done for the day. This would have solved both problems!!!!!!!

Another idea they should consider is a C&R BRACELET. If you declare yourself before you start fishing as C&R only. You get a BRACELET to wear which means you will have no dead fish in your possession. I'm sure there is many more people like me, who don't want to mess with a lot of dead catfish at the end of the day.

TwistedOrder
07-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Good then we have both sides of the potential problem covered. Either way, solutions exist.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Get Off your A## and check as people leave.....Problem solved...

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
I was there today ..Danielle had to come out to tell the deck hand to move them poachers boats back lol.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-05-2014, 09:01 PM
will you please help me..i cant buy a bite...

esteban1t
07-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Get Off your A## and check as people leave.....Problem solved...

i agree...

seal
07-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Guys you can speculate all day but Irvine knows it's business better than all you put together. Let's try another speculation. All you saying the big fish will suffer might be wrong. Many use the C&R to cull out smaller fish thus only taking larger fish. If Irvine keeps an eye on everybody and cuts way down on C&R it might actually be a good thing for the trophy cat fishery, who knows, I surely don't.

HawgZWylde
07-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Lol wow, I thought us Bass guys were supposed to be the bad guys about this kind of stuff?

etucker1959
07-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Guys you can speculate all day but Irvine knows it's business better than all you put together. Let's try another speculation. All you saying the big fish will suffer might be wrong. Many use the C&R to cull out smaller fish thus only taking larger fish. If Irvine keeps an eye on everybody and cuts way down on C&R it might actually be a good thing for the trophy cat fishery, who knows, I surely don't.

Really Seal, you do know you're talking about ME!!!!!!!!! I've been fishing Irvine lake since the late 60's. Not only that, I've read those Field and Stream articles about why Irvine lake can grow the biggest catfish in the West. You do know I could give one of my famous lectures on the subject. Now you don't want me to do that do you?????? I'll just leave you with this, If Irvine lake really wanted to understand how their monster Catfishery is doing. They should be tagging every Blue catfish caught over 25 lbs with a number on it. Then record the date it was caught and it's weight. Keep an accurate log and watch how much weight it puts on every year or two. My contention is the biggest catfish in the lake right now is at 52 lbs or so. In the next year or two they will be catching them in the 60's lbs range. See if I'm right????? Unfortunately the lake is NOT TAGGING their monster Catfish.

Seal, I just scratched the surface of what I know about the Blue Cat fishery in Irvine lake. I will expect a full apology from you within the day!!!!!! lol lol lol lol

FishingBarber
07-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Trout on the other hand die real easily so they should not be catch and release. Just my input.

This is only true if your dunking powerbait. If you know how to properly handle and release a trout there's no reason it should die.

seal
07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Really Seal, you do know you're talking about ME!!!!!!!!! I've been fishing Irvine lake since the late 60's. Not only that, I've read those Field and Stream articles about why Irvine lake can grow the biggest catfish in the West. You do know I could give one of my famous lectures on the subject. Now you don't want me to do that do you?????? I'll just leave you with this, "If Irvine lake really wanted to understand how their monster Catfishery is doing. They should be tagging every Blue catfish caught over 25 lbs with a number on it. Then record the date it was caught and it's weight. Keep an accurate log and watch how much weight it puts on every year or two. My contention the biggest catfish in the lake right now is at 50 lbs or so. In the next year or two they will be in the 60's. See if I'm right????? Unfortunately the lake is NOT TAGGING their monster Catfish.

Of course. Everything is always about you Etucker. Couldn't be that since Irvine hasn't actually come out and explained the reason that just about every one of these reasons being tossed out could be wrong or it could be a combination of many being correct.

Irvine knows it's business, there are a lot of skilled fishermen that work there and have worked there for a while that know a helluva lot more about the lake and it's fishery than you do. A lot of thought went into making this decision, they wanted to allow it but for some reason it just didn't work out. My guess is it was abuse of some kind and that many of these ideas have some validity.

It is a shame always when the majority get screwed because of abuse by the minority.

You are wrong by the way there are catfish larger than 50 in there.

etucker1959
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Of course. Everything is always about you Etucker. Couldn't be that since Irvine hasn't actually come out and explained the reason that just about every one of these reasons being tossed out could be wrong or it could be a combination of many being correct.

Irvine knows it's business, there are a lot of skilled fishermen that work there and have worked there for a while that know a helluva lot more about the lake and it's fishery than you do. A lot of thought went into making this decision, they wanted to allow it but for some reason it just didn't work out. My guess is it was abuse of some kind and that many of these ideas have some validity.

It is a shame always when the majority get screwed because of abuse by the minority.

You are wrong by the way there are catfish larger than 50 in there.
Your saying there are catfish larger then 50 lbs in Irvine lake, is like saying Bigfoot exist without any scientific proof to back it up. Let me give you my hypothesis based on the scientific method of proofing things. You can then give me your Bigfoot explanation that say's it's true, because "I believe it's true."

A Blue Catfish has a life span of about 25 years. Go back to the last time someone caught a 60 plus pounder in Irvine lake, it's been over a decade. The assumption I'm making is all the Monster Catfish died of old age about then. To get a monster Blue catfish it must be stocked as a medium size adult. (There is little evidence the Blues reproduce much in Irvine Lake) Irvine lake about 6-7 years ago realized nobody was catching anymore monster size Blue Catfish. So they wisely made several stockings of 10-20 lbs Blue catfish with an encouragement to release them. This started their recovery of Monster Blue Catfish in Irvine.

Now let's work backwards to prove my theory!!!!!!!! No one caught a 60+ lbs in over a decade. (You can check the record on that one) This year the largest Blue Catfish caught was 52lbs. Guess what the weight of the biggest Blue Catfish caught last year was, it was in the 40's. Go back the year before that, high 30's low 40's. Go back the year before that 30's. Go back the year before that 20's-30's?????? Do you see a pattern????? I Do!!!!!! It's those same fish growing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to prove my theory wrong someone needs to catch a 70+ lbs this year!!!!!! For if they did, it couldn't have come from those fish they stocked 6-7 years ago. Let's see if they do.

seal
07-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Your saying there are catfish larger then 50 lbs in Irvine lake, is like saying Bigfoot exist without any scientific proof to back it up. Let me give you my hypothesis based on the scientific method of proofing things. You can then give me your Bigfoot explanation that say's it's true, because "I believe it's true."

A Blue Catfish has a life span of about 25 years. Go back to the last time someone caught a 60 plus pounder in Irvine lake, it's been over a decade. The assumption I'm making is all the Monster Catfish died of old age. To get a monster Blue catfish it must be stocked as a medium size adult. (Their is little evidence the Blues reproduce much in Irvine Lake) Irvine lake about 6-7 years ago realized nobody was catching anymore monster size Blue Catfish.

I believe but I also believe there's a 70+ striper in Silverwood. I'm a dreamer what can I say?

hookerz
07-07-2014, 03:26 PM

A Blue Catfish has a life span of about 25 years. Go back to the last time someone caught a 60 plus pounder in Irvine lake, it's been over a decade. The assumption I'm making is all the Monster Catfish died of old age about then. To get a monster Blue catfish it must be stocked as a medium size adult. (There is little evidence the Blues reproduce much in Irvine Lake) Irvine lake about 6-7 years ago realized nobody was catching anymore monster size Blue Catfish. So they wisely made several stockings of 10-20 lbs Blue catfish with an encouragement to release them. This started their recovery of Monster Blue Catfish in Irvine.

Now let's work backwards to prove my theory!!!!!!!! No one caught a 60+ lbs in over a decade. (You can check the record on that one) This year the largest Blue Catfish caught was 52lbs. Guess what the weight of the biggest Blue Catfish caught last year was, it was in the 40's. Go back the year before that, high 30's low 40's. Go back the year before that 30's. Go back the year before that 20's-30's?????? Do you see a pattern????? I Do!!!!!! It's those same fish growing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to prove my theory wrong someone needs to catch a 70+ lbs this year!!!!!! For if they did, it couldn't have come from those fish they stocked 6-7 years ago. Let's see if they do.

I hooked (didn't land it ) into a monster last Nov. or Dec. It was twice the size of a 40 pounder I got earlier that year. There are some REALLY big ones in there.:EyePop:

etucker1959
07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I hooked (didn't land it ) into a monster last Nov. or Dec. It was twice the size of a 40 pounder I got earlier that year. There are some REALLY big ones in there.:EyePop:
Just like Bigfoot we NEED THE BODY!!!!!!!! Other wise it's just another sighting!!!! lol

troutdog
07-07-2014, 03:45 PM
To say that the 52lber landed just recently is the biggest in the lake and it just happened to be caught, personally I find hard to believe....hoping someone proves you wrong this Fall :Wink:

TD

etucker1959
07-07-2014, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=troutdog;732724]To say that the 52lber landed just recently is the biggest in the lake and it just happened to be caught, personally I find hard to believe....hoping someone proves you wrong this Fall :Wink:

Guy's, I've been following the catch rate on these Monster Catfish for over 40 years. In the 70's-90's they would catch catfish over 50 lbs almost every year. Then a decade ago they stopped catching them. What happened?????? I then made up my own hypothesis of what happened. Fishing tackle got better and I know the fishermen didn't get any lamer so that couldn't be it. Then I looked up how long a Blue Catfish lives for, about 25 years. I then concluded there must have been a gap of time when they weren't stocked. The old ones died off of old age and their wasn't any new ones to replace them. Till about 6-7 years ago they stocked some more 10-20 lbs. Hence no big ones over 50 lbs yet!!!!!! They haven't had time to grow up yet.

Now what Irvine lake is doing with those 10k stockings of Blues the last 2 years is terrific!!!! If they do that every year from now on, they will have an indefinite amount of monster Catfish. As the old ones die out from old age, there will be another year class of fish right behind them. This is why I'm so upset of no C&R on Blue catfish. In the long run, it will hurt to some degree their Monster catfish population!!! If someone catch's a 70+ pounder this year my theory is all wet!!!! I hope they do!!!!! In the mean time, I'm sticking with my theory!!!!!!! lol

reelgurlzfish
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
I think since no one but the Irvine Lake staff knows the facts everyone should just chill out and cut them some slack. who cares what you know about Blues etc..... if you don't want to fish the lake than don't lol

etucker1959
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I think since no one but the Irvine Lake staff knows the facts everyone should just chill out and cut them some slack. who cares what you know about Blues etc..... if you don't want to fish the lake than don't lol
That's does bring up an interesting point. Who owns the lake??????? It's a trick question. When the Dodgers were own by the Mocourts or all the trouble the owner of the Clippers got himself into. People didn't just say, "Hey you're the owner do what you want with your property and we just won't attend your games." They are the owner, but their also the steward of something special that belongs to the people in spirit!!!!! Irvine Lake could be considered in that same category.

DEVOREFLYER
07-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Hey etucker aka frenchy, I think you just got "OWNED" by reelgurlzfish and it went right over your head. No surprise to me. lmao

reelgurlzfish
07-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Hey etucker aka frenchy, I think you just got "OWNED" by reelgurlzfish and it went right over your head. No surprise to me. lmao

lmao ..... i just want peace on earth and goodwill towards all.... there shouldnt be drama in fishing :)

etucker1959
07-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Just expressing an opinion!!!!! I saw on the news today that the temporary no fishing on the pier ban comes off tomorrow. However, next week the city council will vote on a permanent ban on fishing on the pier. It's a classic knee jerk reaction when something goes wrong. Same thing when a shooting occur, that's when people start talking about banning guns. Cooler heads should prevail, but they don't always do.

troutdog
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
That's does bring up an interesting point. Who owns the lake??????? It's a trick question. When the Dodgers were own by the Mocourts or all the trouble the owner of the Clippers got himself into. People didn't just say, "Hey you're the owner do what you want with your property and we just won't attend your games." They are the owner, but their also the steward of something special that belongs to the people in spirit!!!!! Irvine Lake could be considered in that same category.

Now you're comparing Irvine to the McCourts and Donald Sterling? lmao Well I guess the meds must wear off as the day goes on? :LOL:

"ok guys, lets get back to fishing" (boy do I miss those days)

TD

vineline
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I called a meeting on Saturday July 5th at 6 pm and invited the entire Team 57 crew to come to the picnic area and talk to me about this issue.
3 showed up and nobody else came. Russel, John and Armando decided to attend and had the opportunity to ask me anything they wanted and I answered every question honestly.

The Blues are dying anyway because people are ripping their guts out when they take out the hooks and release them.
Most people dont understand that you have to be so careful when you release them. Literally hooking them on the lips because if they swallow the bait and you pull the hook out or cut the line the stomach is damaged.

We are finding dead blues all the time.

People that don't have morals and are over fishing the lake. (We battle this problem every day)
Its hard to stop someone from over fishing when they tell you they are catching and releasing and then you
see them filling coolers. For every one they release they are hiding 3 or 4.

These stockingings cost a lot of money and it is not helping us when a handful of people wack them for hours where we stock them.
Even if you release them the fish are hurt and many will not survive.

I am going to go to my board of directors and bring up the subject of how many limits should be sold to one person.
I think there should be a limit because the dollars don't add up when multiple limits are sold to one person.

For anyone who stills has questions you can speak to me personally at the Lake.
No need for any drama.

Vineline

Thank you,
Vineline

seal
07-08-2014, 09:11 AM
And there you have it!

TwistedOrder
07-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Just gonna point out I was 100% spot on. lmao

goodguy
07-08-2014, 12:04 PM
thanks for the explanation!

troutdog
07-08-2014, 05:27 PM
I called a meeting on Saturday July 5th at 6 pm and invited the entire Team 57 crew to come to the picnic area and talk to me about this issue.
3 showed up and nobody else came. Russel, John and Armando decided to attend and had the opportunity to ask me anything they wanted and I answered every question honestly.

Your original post was very clear, "no catch and release". The lake makes the rules, Team 57 abides by them and we do our best to set an example for others. Those of us (including myself) who did not attend your meeting had no issue with the rule change nor any questions. That said it was hard to justify coming off the lake on a tournament day after it finally cooled down, to discuss something that we already were on board with. Like you said no need for the drama. Thank you for giving those who wanted to air out their thoughts an opportunity to do so.

Just my 2 cents....I think you should limit each angler to a maximum of 2 passes for the first 3 days after a "mega" stocking of big blues....most anglers will agree that fishing slowed considerably by Saturday the past two tournaments and were lucky to fill one limit of fish, let alone more.

See you at the lake,

TD

Hitts0n
07-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Your original post was very clear, "no catch and release". The lake makes the rules, Team 57 abides by them and we do our best to set an example for others. Those of us (including myself) who did not attend your meeting had no issue with the rule change nor any questions. That said it was hard to justify coming off the lake on a tournament day after it finally cooled down, to discuss something that we already were on board with. Like you said no need for the drama. Thank you for giving those who wanted to air out their thoughts an opportunity to do so.

Just my 2 cents....I think you should limit each angler to a maximum of 2 passes for the first 3 days after a "mega" stocking of big blues....most anglers will agree that fishing slowed considerably by Saturday the past two tournaments and were lucky to fill one limit of fish, let alone more.

See you at the lake,

TD

I say don't have ANY limits on second,third,4th passes.Just charge them FULL price on the passes. Get 9 limits....but 24.00 bucks a pass please ! Get BIG SCOTTISH security guy out there to watch over folks...and Kewly fife !

cutbait
07-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Whatever Hitts says I'm throwing my weight behind.....

Where are some pics of these big kitties? I wanna see um

troutdog
07-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Where are some pics of these big kitties? I wanna see um

My girl nailed a couple of beauties.....here's one of them
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/acat_zps96650b12.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/troutdog_photobucket/media/acat_zps96650b12.jpg.html)

TD

Hitts0n
07-08-2014, 10:35 PM
yyeeaahhh they r there!

Rooster
07-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Funny part is those are just the stockers. There was a 36lb channel caught last week and never reported.

As Trolly always says they don't even need to stock cats. That's how many there are in the lake.

Lucky for those cats I am out a few weeks with a bad back. LOL

I missed being out there for the last tourney. Hope I can get better by the Co-Op

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10440666_1435331450070886_8511879435910945673_n.jp g

See Chris Fish
07-09-2014, 08:26 AM
My thoughts are this:
Irvine allows us to fish this lake. The water district doesn't have to let us fish. They could just shut it down. Lots of problems solved.
It's their lake, so it's their rules.
It was very nice of Daniella to ask us to come and voice our opinion. As mentioned by TroutDog, most of us understand why the rule was changed and that we'll follow the rules that are given. No reason to go ashore during a contest.
I personally think only 1 pass should be sold. No extra passes.
Lots of people come to this lake and it would allow more anglers to go home with fish.
Security should be checking all coolers/livewells, coming into the lake and going out.

I'll see you on the water.
Chris

TwistedOrder
07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
My thoughts are this:
I personally think only 1 pass should be sold. No extra passes.

Chris

what about the people who aren't locals like us, and drive 2.5 hours to limit out in the first 45 minutes.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-09-2014, 10:49 AM
You limit out in 45 min...I need your secret lol
what about the people who aren't locals like us, and drive 2.5 hours to limit out in the first 45 minutes.

Hitts0n
07-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Righhhhttt lmao !!

See Chris Fish
07-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Hitts.... good point. OK only 2 passes. And where were those limits when we were fishing together? 1 trout for the night between 3 of us and it was yours! Lol

TwistedOrder
07-09-2014, 02:14 PM

My secret is half bait and half strategy, I also only use braid, and I don't use pole holders, every tap im setting and reeling.
(not releasing my bait strategy.)

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Are you fishing in a boat? I was there on the 5th from 9-6 not one bite...fished all over...smdh

My secret is half bait and half strategy, I also only use braid, and I don't use pole holders, every tap im setting and reeling.
(not releasing my bait strategy.)

esteban1t
07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Are you fishing in a boat? I was there on the 5th from 9-6 not one bite...fished all over...smdh

what bait were you using ?

Rooster
07-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Let me guess. Your fishing the day after a 10,000 pound stocking... That's the whole dam problem the stockers don't move for days and they been dumping them in 1 spot.

As I been saying for years. Spread the stocking and problem is solved!

guide
07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I was there most of the day after going to visit my dad in the hospital I never saw this boat.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-09-2014, 04:44 PM
How could you miss it...
I was there most of the day after going to visit my dad in the hospital I never saw this boat.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Mac bite...fresh mac..shrimp...I should have stayed later a piled-up in boat boat cove with everyone else...lol
what bait were you using ?

esteban1t
07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Mac bite...fresh mac..shrimp...I should have stayed later a piled-up in boat boat cove with everyone else...lol
boat dock cove is pretty good area.... since you were fishing during the day you should of hit up the random patches of weeds in the flats ... when ever i get there earlier in the day i usually do good there..

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-09-2014, 05:22 PM
I went there too..I saw just a couple of fish caught there..Lots of grass every time you reel in
boat dock cove is pretty good area.... since you were fishing during the day you should of hit up the random patches of weeds in the flats ... when ever i get there earlier in the day i usually do good there..

TwistedOrder
07-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Even better, float tube.
I kick over and don't scare the fish, flyline down my arsenal of baits and wait for a bump. All of those fish were caught on the 3rd from 10:15 to 11:20.

Was kinda upset I had to leave.

TroutOnly
07-09-2014, 05:54 PM
but etuck is a drama queen...................lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5150fishn
07-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I wasn't there for the last tourney but I along with my other Team 57 members have no problem with the new rules. It has always been that way for trout season. It is a privledge to fish the Vine and I respect the staff and their decisions and rules.

Fish Dog
07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
So, is it the same for bass now? 5 fish and no C & R?

Double A
07-09-2014, 06:41 PM

^^^^^^^^^^
That right there...
Is an excellent point/question.

guide
07-09-2014, 06:41 PM
looks like you were right by us. the bite was on fire right there.

How could you miss it...

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Its cool...i will keep going until i get it right..I will bring the rv back a stay over nite. Maybe a fish fry lol
looks like you were right by us. the bite was on fire right there.

evosamurai
07-09-2014, 08:45 PM

says catfish in the title

etucker1959
07-09-2014, 08:50 PM
but etuck is a drama queen...................lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Drama queen hardly!!!!!! Maybe a Sheldon on the Big Bang theory, trying to explain string theory to a bunch of High School students. lol

gogreeenz4
07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
This is a very sad day, I don't like killing catfish!!!!!! So I guess my Irvine lake days are over.

as them hipsters say......................... bye Felicia!

devin828
07-12-2014, 02:04 PM
I dont understand all the debate if Irvine stocks the lake with 10k pounds of catfish 2 or more times a summer and half catch 10 or less which the average fisherman does how can the lake be fished out just by reading this thread over half have trouble catching their limit of 5.
plus the ones that haven't been caught are reproducing which means there are even more fish in the lake

Tis my 2 cent worth

etucker1959
07-12-2014, 03:53 PM
I dont understand all the debate if Irvine stocks the lake with 10k pounds of catfish 2 or more times a summer and half catch 10 or less which the average fisherman does how can the lake be fished out just by reading this thread over half have trouble catching their limit of 5.
plus the ones that haven't been caught are reproducing which means there are even more fish in the lake

Tis my 2 cent worth

Here is some thing no one touched on but is important. The 10k stocking of fish are fat and lazy by nature and they don't move around very quickly. Thus that make them more vulnerable to being caught right after their stocked compared to the regular sized catfish. If Irvine lake doesn't stock any more of the those 10k size fish, the problem would have solved itself. Mark my words, from now on a lot of people will be complaining about how hard it is to catch a catfish in Irvine lake.

VineAssist
07-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Just got back from Paternity Leave and I am seeing some issues being brought here on our Trophy Catfish population and how we monitor em.

First off to tag a TROPHY sized Catfish, say over 20lbs is not a easy task what so ever. The tagging guns that are sold to tag fish are meant to tag trout and smaller sized Cats. Also contrary to popular belief, the TROPHY sized Catfish need to be handled a little bit more delicatley than their smaller brothers, sisters and cousins. There are still tons and tons of these TROPHY Catfish in the water trust me! A lot of the members on here remeber the bite on all those TROPHY sized Catfish about two to three years ago. That was a school of fish that myself and a friend Whit Curry stumbled upon while looking for a big Largemouth Bass. We told a few customers to check out the area and low and behold a bunch of fish in the 20-50lb class have come off that area.
Trollmeister, Pontoon, NVCattracker, Guide, Catmando, the Longbeach boys (Marc , Danny etc), hookerz and a ton of other members cashed in on that bite.
Furthermore with clearer than normal water conditions a little more finesse might be a different approach might be necessary to fool these fish. Dropping down in line size is always a good way to get more bites. Also I know a couple of anglers have tried drifting baits such as is done on the huge river systems back east and are having success here. Trying diffrent baits even has proven to be effective, Donny Spencer landed his 32.6lb Channel Catfish two weeks ago on the head of 1.5lb mac! A trio of well knowen Catfish anglers use Shrimp/and Mackeral combo. Also if you are after that fish of a lifetime ask some of our staff members what they would recommend doing they will steer you towards spots and gear that is fitted for that type of fishing.

Coleyounger
07-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Your saying there are catfish larger then 50 lbs in Irvine lake, is like saying Bigfoot exist without any scientific proof to back it up..

You mean big foot doesn't exists!?!?....Bo Bo ia going to be ticked off...

Catmando
08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Hey, I wasn't invited to that meeting...lol I honestly think that it is great to be able to release fish back into the lake just like bass. That way the waters don't get fished out. Not sure why rules apply to some fish and not others but it is what it is I guess.

BannedJr
08-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Totally get it with trout, they die before the get in the net, but it takes some real fish mis management to kill a kitty. I understand unethical fisherman may throw back dead fish, but then again, unethical fisherman won't observe the 5 fish limit either. I would rather see a circle hook mandate go into effect rather than a no catch and relase policy. Also, selling only 1 pass on weds and thursday would go along way in allowing the stockers to get acclimated and out in the lake where they are far less vulnerable to be part of a 40 fish day.. :)