PDA

View Full Version : Possible new Tire reef ?

Tom
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
does anyone one if we would be allowed to make a new tire reef in the shallow water in sale cove ?
would lake officially allow it?
I have a buddy that has about 30 tires to get rid of
now would be a great time to add a small reef in sail cove before repairs are made and the water level is back up
sail cover cold use a small tire reef and it would be a great area for small bass and bluegill to hide while they grow
someone must know
thanks

chompot
07-03-2014, 06:44 PM
I highly highly doubt it. Liability issues first and foremost. You might be able to donate the tires to them though and they might be able to drop them at some point in the next 20 years. I don't think the issue is that they don't have or cannot get the tires.

Your time would be better spent asking them what artificial structure is already in sail cove and if they have plans to add anymore. I highly doubt that as well. That lake fishes so well that I think the amount of structure is just about perfect. I rarely ever fish the tire reef anyways.

Tom
07-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Please explain the liability issues?? we have had No issues in all the years the tire reef on the east end has been there
the install would be supervised by the lake officials or DFG
and the tires reefs are for the smaller fish to hide. sail cove is perfect as most fishermen cannot get to it so the fish are safer
there really is not artificial structure in sail cove and i have covered most of sail cove with a underwater camera....a few concrete blocks that were dumped by someone
with the water down the lake does not fish as well any more and there is a Huge reduction in fish population
people will argue but even the bluegill population is way down from 5 years ago
structure for the smaller fish would be very helpful when the dam is repaired and raised again putting the new reef 25-40 ft deep safe from most everyone
I think i will contact the lake officials and the DFG
i am sure plenty of guys on this forum would help with the install
cost to the state...FREE

I highly highly doubt it. Liability issues first and foremost. You might be able to donate the tires to them though and they might be able to drop them at some point in the next 20 years. I don't think the issue is that they don't have or cannot get the tires.

Your time would be better spent asking them what artificial structure is already in sail cove and if they have plans to add anymore. I highly doubt that as well. That lake fishes so well that I think the amount of structure is just about perfect. I rarely ever fish the tire reef anyways.

seal
07-05-2014, 08:26 AM
If they are going into Perris, you'll need the biologist to buy off on it and lake supervisor. Many lakes have years where Christmas trees and other stuff is dumped for structure.

Biggest concern I'm sure is that it's drinking water and they just don't let anything dumped in there, it's not all about fish.

Tom
07-05-2014, 10:38 AM
they have allowed us to do the Christmas tree thing quite few times at Perris
i think DFG might be open to it

chompot
07-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Tom, when you say "us" are referring to private boaters dropping in christmas trees?

The liability I speak of is not the reef after it is installed. It is the process of dropping those big heavy tires into the lake. There is "risk" involved with doing this and the insurance company may not go for it. I know we had an issue like this on a private lake with an HOA and that lake really needed the structure. A contractor with their own insurance policy that was outfitted for the type of job would of had to been hired and they did not want to pay for that.

Who knows, maybe the state would go for it. Only way to find out would be to ask them of course.

HawgZWylde
07-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Tom, when you say "us" are referring to private boaters dropping in christmas trees?

The liability I speak of is not the reef after it is installed. It is the process of dropping those big heavy tires into the lake. There is "risk" involved with doing this and the insurance company may not go for it. I know we had an issue like this on a private lake with an HOA and that lake really needed the structure. A contractor with their own insurance policy that was outfitted for the type of job would of had to been hired and they did not want to pay for that.

Who knows, maybe the state would go for it. Only way to find out would be to ask them of course.

I don't see why there would be a problem if the structure was deemed beneficial to the habitat by the fisheries biologist. There are private companies who do this type of work and indeed carry the liability insurance and bonding needed for their specialty license. As for state or lake liability, how does it cover itself for any type of environmental habitat improvement or restoration? I would say contact the fisheries biologist and get an official response to your request. Then since it's a state ran entity, I would send a letter to DFW for an opinion and or permission to commence. If they all say no then I'd start looking at paying someone to dispose of all that rubber...

Tom
07-06-2014, 01:33 PM
no not Us as private boater with the lake and DFG not know...But with the DFG approval many Christmas trees have bene put in the lake some by bass clubs all with Blessings from the DFG
it has been done many times in the past at lake Perris. When i was in the inland empire bass masters we wanted to do a tire reef but could not come up with enough tires
I will contact the DFG that is all we had to do years ago
you did not know that Christmas tree have been placed int he lake before with Full Approvals??
there are a few people who still know about the Christams tree reefs...the problem is they dont last for long

chompot
07-06-2014, 02:56 PM
You are right. From what I understand the xmas trees do not last too long. I think the AZFG and CA DFW have both been putting xmas trees in Havasu for the last 10 years but I think they do it almost every year.

It looks like you already have a lot of the information you need. History of projects already being done on the lake, possibly a bass club willing to help with the correct lake contacts, and the raw materials to get it done. As Hawgz said, with approval from the DFW or other state agency biologist that should get the wheels turning.

Good luck to you on this project. I would not post up where they will be! :)

Tom
07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
You are right. From what I understand the xmas trees do not last too long. I think the AZFG and CA DFW have both been putting xmas trees in Havasu for the last 10 years but I think they do it almost every year.

Good luck to you on this project. I would not post up where they will be! :)

well the tire reef in the East end everyone knows about already. The reefs are mostly for smaller fish and a place to hide anyway
once the lake levers come up the reef would be out of reach from shore anglers and sail cove is limited access already

DEVOREFLYER
07-06-2014, 10:17 PM
The tires in the tire reef are heavy equipment tires and they are huge.

HawgZWylde
07-06-2014, 10:25 PM
no not Us as private boater with the lake and DFG not know...But with the DFG approval many Christmas trees have bene put in the lake some by bass clubs all with Blessings from the DFG
it has been done many times in the past at lake Perris. When i was in the inland empire bass masters we wanted to do a tire reef but could not come up with enough tires
I will contact the DFG that is all we had to do years ago
you did not know that Christmas tree have been placed int he lake before with Full Approvals??
there are a few people who still know about the Christams tree reefs...the problem is they dont last for long

I believe Elsinore and Perris both got Christmas trees this year...

HawgZWylde
07-06-2014, 10:28 PM
well the tire reef in the East end everyone knows about already.
The reefs are mostly for smaller fish and a place to hide anyway
once the lake levers come up the reef would be out of reach from shore anglers and sail cove is limited access already

Indeed, where there are smaller fish, there are larger fish looking for a meal...

kwin
07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Tires will not be allowed for fish habitat. They are made with toxic chemicals that are pollutants and carcinogenic. The CDFW has placed 1000+ citrus habitats into Lake Perris since 2008 with 300-400 xmas trees since 2005. Many of those are in/around Sail Cove as well as all over the lake providing habitat to the fish with in the lake. The CDFW has a fisheries habitat mitigation plan as part of the dam remediation project that will add additional fisheries habitats to the reservoir over the next several years.

HawgZWylde
07-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Tires will not be allowed for fish habitat. They are made with toxic chemicals that are pollutants and carcinogenic. The CDFW has placed 1000+ citrus habitats into Lake Perris since 2008 with 300-400 xmas trees since 2005. Many of those are in/around Sail Cove as well as all over the lake providing habitat to the fish with in the lake. The CDFW has a fisheries habitat mitigation plan as part of the dam remediation project that will add additional fisheries habitats to the reservoir over the next several years.

Thank you Kwin, it's good to see you post again...

DEVOREFLYER
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Kwin it is good to see you back, you have been missed by many and your info is very much appreciated. I hope you stay around to answer many of the questions about how this drought is going to affect the local fishing spots short and long term.

fishmounter
07-07-2014, 06:18 PM
One of those spots where they dumped a bunch of old chained together orange trees in 2010 has been a great crappie hot spot for us. You lose a lot of jigs there too though. You have to fish it vertically.

Fishingkid97
07-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info kwin.

Tom
07-07-2014, 09:13 PM
on a sad note today while i was at the lake guys were fishing one of the Citrus Reefs and catching crappie and filleting them throwing the carcass overboard i counted over 18 of them being thrown overboard

nolivebait4bass
07-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Kwin - Can you tell us how many pounds of rainbow trout were put in Perris this year?

kwin
07-08-2014, 06:16 PM
a sufficient amount for the effort expended by anglers targeting trout, size of the reservoir and duration of appropriate water temperatures.

Kwin - Can you tell us how many pounds of rainbow trout were put in Perris this year?