PDA

View Full Version : Trolling with Leadcore question

evosamurai
07-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi all, we will be headed to lake almanor in a couple weeks, and I want to do some deep trolling. Ive never used leadcore before so my question is, will it make my lure stay deep, or do i need it paired with a pink lady or something like that?thanks.

pitman
07-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Im not a regular leadcore troller but 5 feet per color along with whatever depth your lure dives to is pretty typical...

evosamurai
07-02-2014, 09:01 PM
if i have a rapala and say it says 30' will it stay at that depth or can i manipulate it go go deeper?

Mike274
07-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes, it will keep your lure deep. A floating lure at 20' with lead core will be at about 20' give or take, but still be a bit above a sinking lure at the same line depth.

Matt44
07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
It all depends pn the lure you are running....I like to rip f18s which run at 11ft with 5 colors im ripping 35 feet of water...almanor has big browns , a buddy of mibe caught a 12 there last year!

evosamurai
07-04-2014, 08:30 AM
It all depends pn the lure you are running....I like to rip f18s which run at 11ft with 5 colors im ripping 35 feet of water...almanor has big browns , a buddy of mibe caught a 12 there last year!

thanks Matt, what are your colors of choice?

Matt44
07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Also you will have to factor in blow back. I like to troll a little faster for browns around 2.5 and up to 5mph. I have been using the suffix leadcore it has been pretty good for me! As for lure patterns I always like to match the hatch. Rainbow, tui chub, and kokanee patterns are really good bets.

billy b
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
A lot of those brownies at Lower Twin are at 40+ feet ... can you get down that low with lead core ... that's in the 8-10 color range isn't it? Or are you adding weight(s)?

evosamurai
07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
ive never used leadcore before, this will be a first, i was planning on tying the leadcore to a ball bearing swivel then an 8# leader of flouro, then my lure...and am probably gonna buy a couple pink ladys, for my rods with mono, so i can get the lures down deep.

TroutOnly
07-08-2014, 08:57 PM
use 18lb lead instead of 12 or 16,,,,,,,,,,,you will get youre drop with that,,,,,,,,,make you leaders at least 20ft long the water is very clear up there and the fish can see,,,,,,,,i used leadcore for many years till I switched to downriggers,,,,,,,,,,,good luck.............T/O...........

Matt44
07-09-2014, 03:49 AM
Thread a little piece of the lead out of the colored lining over it and tie on your leader with a back to back uni knot. Its alot smoother than running a swivel. I usually go with 50 to 75 ft leaders.

billy b
07-09-2014, 08:30 AM
You may have better advice than what I've gotten over the years (25-30 foot leader - you're sayin 50+ ?)
... and in the last couple of years - tie on 20-25 feet of 12# with a half swivel (no snap) at the end - so that you can tie on about 6 feet of 6, 8,10 fluoro.
If you have to break away from a snag ... you'll probably only lose the end leader ... and avoid a lot of work setting up again.

I've always used 12# lead core ... but TO's idea seems like a no-brainer ... if you want to get deeper. I always chose 12 because like the idea of being able to let out more line with 12 to get to the same depth as the 18 ... (farther away from the boat ... the better)

Matt44
07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
All leadcore sinks at the same rate no matter the pound test. I believe its just the diameter and lb test that change. Thats what iv been told. Im sure it differs from brand to brand. The reason I got with longer leaders is because twin is super clear and the browns there are crazy elusive. I tie on high quality seaguar, totally worth the money! I usually go with 10 or 12 pound test. Trust me on on the back to back uni knot. Those half swivels can be a pain going through the eyes of your rod and reel, potentially losing you a good fish.

billy b
07-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for sharing

I've been told to run 25-30 feet (12 #) tied on directly to the lead core ... then the small swivel with about 6-7 feet of leader (or the length of the rod) ... with no intention of winding the swivel up into the rod's eyes. Then tie on whatever 6-7 leader seems appropriate ...usually 6-8# ... but you have on 10-12 for your end leader, right? Makes sense to me.

You think I need to lengthen that 25-30 up to 50 or so? In that case it would make sense to not have any swivel ... but tie directly to the lure? Do you use a snap of some sort or the Rapala knot?

billy b
07-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Ever seen this suggestion?

When the water is weedy ... put a Carolina Keeper on your line 6 feet or so up from the lure for minnow type lures

Or a bead and a swivel a rod length away for spinning lures

Got this tip from the Crowley Lake report

I wonder why 2 different methods depending on trolling spinning lures ... or minnows?

Also ... heard that it's a good idea to let the line our straight behind the boat ... then place the rod in the holder on the side

Matt44
07-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I use a cross lock snap at the end of my leader to make changing lures much faster. I dont use any swivels. Leadcore back to back uni knot straight to whatever lb leader you want. I used to use a swivel like your saying when I first got into trolling and Iv noticed since I switched I have been getting bit more.

evosamurai
07-12-2014, 08:51 PM
im going to have 2 leadcore lines and 2 mono with pink ladies trolling, dodger, and diff rapalas. the dodgers and pink ladies have swivels to tie to, so i guess i will be tying onto those and then a leader