PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing glove?

Ifishtoolittle
07-02-2014, 01:25 AM
I'm not a fan of wearing sunscreen, and I am really not a fan of skin cancer. For those of you who use gloves or have have experience with them for fishing, which brand do you go with?

I'm looking for one that breathes very well, dries fast, has grip, and won't break the bank. 30 bucks is the most I'll spend on the glove. Thanks people!

basshole1
07-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Outdoor Research Chroma Sun Gloves. True to size, run you about 25 bucks, bad @$$.

DarkShadow
07-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Outdoor Research does make quality gear.

Check out Simms' line up of fishing gloves. Currently use the Guide Glove, but the Sun Glove is also very good.

billy b
07-02-2014, 10:14 AM
If it's any use ... my wife has a serious ... dangerous problem ... and I just bought a bunch of musicians white gloves on Ebay.

Cheap ... lightweight ... not sweaty ... washable ... easy to handle rods, tackle, snacks, etc. and then not to expensive to dispose when they get old.

FWIW ... she wears them to the football games at the Coli also.

DarkShadow
07-02-2014, 11:46 AM
If it's any use ... my wife has a serious ... dangerous problem ... and I just bought a bunch of musicians white gloves on Ebay.

Cheap ... lightweight ... not sweaty ... washable ... easy to handle rods, tackle, snacks, etc. and then not to expensive to dispose when they get old.

What UPF rating are those gloves?

Fishingkid97
07-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Good topic. I'm going to have to start looking into more of this sun protective gear. Last year I had some spots of melonoma removed. I get FRYED every time I fish the ocean. On the lakes I get burnt but not as bad. I just recently purchased one of the pelagic face mask. I would now like to look into maybe sleeves possibly fingerless gloves just looking for sun protection. As I HATE sun block.post up what you end up getting and how you like it.

DarkShadow
07-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Good topic. I'm going to have to start looking into more of this sun protective gear. Last year I had some spots of melonoma removed. I get FRYED every time I fish the ocean. On the lakes I get burnt but not as bad. I just recently purchased one of the pelagic face mask. I would now like to look into maybe sleeves possibly fingerless gloves just looking for sun protection. As I HATE sun block.post up what you end up getting and how you like it.

SPF in clothing is always something that you need to look for. Now, Columbia makes SPF clothing, as do other manufacturers, and it depends on your budget on what products to buy.

I never started thinking about covering up until a good friend had a bout with melanoma that they won. After that, I realized that my activities outdoors leaves me susceptible to the sun rays, and although I still get made fun of, I've adopted the mentality of being protected head to toe.

Look for SPF protection in your garments. In fact, even if your favorite article of clothing to wear while fishing doesn't provide any SPF, there are products that you can buy that will enhance your clothing's UV protection by simply washing your clothing in products like Sun Guard.

I would peruse Simms lineup, as they have fishing specific clothing that is meant to combat the sun's rays. While you'll be spending a bit more money, it certainly beats having to deal with melanoma. Other manufacturers make 'sun specific' clothing, but make sure the UPF rating is visible.

I'd rather get made fun of, than have to deal with cancer.

(And no, trying NOT to get cancer is not a 'trend')

Ifishtoolittle
07-05-2014, 12:51 AM
Outdoor Research Chroma Sun Gloves. True to size, run you about 25 bucks, bad @$$.

Thanks! The wrist section seems a little short though. I'm wondering if buying the full glove version and snipping away the finger tips would work.

Outdoor Research does make quality gear.

Check out Simms' line up of fishing gloves. Currently use the Guide Glove, but the Sun Glove is also very good.

Thanks DarkShadow. Simms definitely makes quality stuff. I'll certainly consider its gloves.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure if the musician gloves are enough to protect your wife though. I'd look into getting some clothing specifically for UV protection.

Arrghh... getting burned is no fun. You should definitely look into the sleeves. I use eclipse sun sleeves for my adventures, but they don't get my fingers covered well enough.

Fishingkid97
07-07-2014, 07:00 PM
My hands always seem to be fine my problem was my ears and nose would peel multiple times a year after fishing. Solved that problem but an now thinking I should protect my arms. The melonoma I had was removed from the front side of my shoulder and top of my head. Do the sleeve fit snug or are they loose with some kind of elastic around the wrist and bicep?

Ifishtoolittle
07-12-2014, 10:21 PM
My hands always seem to be fine my problem was my ears and nose would peel multiple times a year after fishing. Solved that problem but an now thinking I should protect my arms. The melonoma I had was removed from the front side of my shoulder and top of my head. Do the sleeve fit snug or are they loose with some kind of elastic around the wrist and bicep?

The sleeves will stretch out a little eventually, but they definitely last. My pair is going on its second season